PostPosted: 11:43 - 27 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogwood added.

Crap pic is crap.
https://i.imgur.com/QhtGTQ5l.jpg

BigShow
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:57 - 27 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tanks.

My wife has restricted me to a small 40l effort at the moment. I know, I really need to grow a pair.

It's home to a white fantail goldfish, 4 WCMM and a Plec (godsend for clearing algae!) I know it's a weird combo but my tanks been a refuge for waifs and strays the last few months where they were going to get flushed unless they were re-homed. I've been fish keeping for a decade and it's taking all of my skills to maintain a balance that keeps them all happy.

Surprisingly they are all looking in tip top condition....so far.

I like a bit of hair algae on the media, makes it look realistic.

Bog wood just makes the water look like tea. I soaked it for weeks and weeks and the tannins still coloured the water. Any tips other then soaking?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 27 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I soaked it for a couple of days, changing the water in the bucket every 5 or 6 hours.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 27 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within 12hrs the shrimp decided to change his colour to blend with the wood.

https://i.imgur.com/eNvGfvll.jpg

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 28 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShow wrote:
Any tips other then soaking?
a few coats of clear polyurethane varnish works a treat, personally I like the tea effect and use teabags in my filter as a mechanical filter and buffer

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 28 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
BigShow wrote:
Any tips other then soaking?
a few coats of clear polyurethane varnish works a treat, personally I like the tea effect and use teabags in my filter as a mechanical filter and buffer

Won't a clear coat stop any plants from rooting to the wood though?

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 28 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

Won't a clear coat stop any plants from rooting to the wood though?
I have seen plants growing from treated wood though not my own, I like to leave the wood bare to act as a buffer for my SA cichlids.

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 28 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 40L tank at the minute, I lost a lot of fish at the old house I think due to the water quality. I've moved house and the fish I have are fine now.

I've just set up a new tank tonight. Haven't got any substrate to add to it yet but got the filter and the heater going.

Bought some bog wood which is soaking now. I'll leave that for a few weeks and change the water often. Bought some stones too, going to get some plants and new fish in the next few weeks.

Sick of having a tank with plastic plants and a shipwreck. Any suggestions for substrate I like the sand in cansa's tank so might go for that.

Anybody use or used moss balls?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 28 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl_steveo wrote:
I've got a 40L tank at the minute, I lost a lot of fish at the old house I think due to the water quality. I've moved house and the fish I have are fine now.

I've just set up a new tank tonight. Haven't got any substrate to add to it yet but got the filter and the heater going.

Bought some bog wood which is soaking now. I'll leave that for a few weeks and change the water often. Bought some stones too, going to get some plants and new fish in the next few weeks.

Sick of having a tank with plastic plants and a shipwreck. Any suggestions for substrate I like the sand in cansa's tank so might go for that.

Anybody use or used moss balls?
Moss balls can cause a lot of problems when they start to break down so imo best avoided, sand is a good media but works best as a filter if a reverse flow UGF is used but reverse flow is not good for plants though you could pot the plants for good results, avoid dorset pea gravel as it often contains arsenic.

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 28 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics

Current tank front.

https://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/carl_steveo/18ef22d5f217a3cae7de09a69c39c6e7_zps27086d31.jpg

Side

https://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/carl_steveo/5132e83f5f156003f2cec54a06fdeb1c_zps66b56a0b.jpg

I don't have an amazing filter. None of this external stuff.

I currently have that ^fluval and the new tank has a cheap filter that got some good reviews.

I will avoid the moss balls thanks. Thumbs Up

Current fish list is a couple of penguin tetras, a neon tetra (it's friends died).

A handful of other unnamed tetras and a plec.

I did have some mollys and guppies but like I said I lost them last year.

I'm looking at some cardinal tetras and some new Molly's and guppies and some shrimp too but need to research a bit more and get some advice from the local shop.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 28 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl_steveo wrote:
Pics

Current tank front.

https://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/carl_steveo/18ef22d5f217a3cae7de09a69c39c6e7_zps27086d31.jpg

Side

https://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/carl_steveo/5132e83f5f156003f2cec54a06fdeb1c_zps66b56a0b.jpg

I don't have an amazing filter. None of this external stuff.

I currently have that ^fluval and the new tank has a cheap filter that got some good reviews.

I will avoid the moss balls thanks. Thumbs Up

Current fish list is a couple of penguin tetras, a neon tetra (it's friends died).

A handful of other unnamed tetras and a plec.

I did have some mollys and guppies but like I said I lost them last year.

I'm looking at some cardinal tetras and some new Molly's and guppies and some shrimp too but need to research a bit more and get some advice from the local shop.
Mollys are not suitable for a freshwater tank, they are a brackish water fish and need salt., Tetras like acidic water as do plecs but Guppies prefer neutral water, different fish from different parts of the world that need different water

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 28 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were with the tank when I bought it. These are the things I don't know hence the research needed. Karma Thumbs Up

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 28 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl_steveo wrote:
They were with the tank when I bought it. These are the things I don't know hence the research needed. Karma Thumbs Up
the most popular fishes are either Asian or South American, both Fishes require totally different conditions but are often mixed, South american fish generally require soft acidic tanin stained water which can be easily achieved by the introduction of a buffer like Bog wood which keeps the water acidic, Asian fish generally need hard water which can be achieved by using Tuffa rock as a buffer and for decorative purposes but it is expensive, the third most common fish types for domestic aquarium are the brackish water fishes like mollies which MUST have salt to some degree. It is best to research the fish and not mix soft acidic with hard alkline types and also go for the biggest tank you can as larger volumes of water are easier to maintain than small amounts.

-LG-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 28 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got a new tank, 54 litre, up from my 27 litre one.

I've currently got two black fancys that I've had since August time last year. I'm wanting some more, but unsure which ones to get.

Can anyone recommend any? How many fish can I have in my tank as well? Pets at Home said I could only have one fancy in my 27 litre tank, despite the box stating two, don't really want to ask them for advice!

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

-LG- wrote:

I've currently got two black fancys that I've had since August time last year. I'm wanting some more, but unsure which ones to get.

Can anyone recommend any? How many fish can I have in my tank as well? Pets at Home said I could only have one fancy in my 27 litre tank, despite the box stating two, don't really want to ask them for advice!
Use this calculator, cold water fish are messy so half the results https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/calculators/stockinglevel

-LG-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
-LG- wrote:

Use this calculator, cold water fish are messy so half the results https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/calculators/stockinglevel

Brilliant, thanks Smile.

I seem to remember that my ex said something that plecs don't count towards the total or something. Is this correct? Or a load of bollocks.

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neon and plec seem to be perfectly fine with the tank conditions so I think I'll aim my tank towards compatible partners with them two.

Thanks for the advice mate. Karma Thumbs Up

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

-LG- wrote:

Brilliant, thanks Smile.

I seem to remember that my ex said something that plecs don't count towards the total or something. Is this correct? Or a load of bollocks.
Load of bollocks, the surface area of the tank dictats the amount of air in the water, all fish including plecs breath but you can increase the surface area but introducing an air pump as it produces bubbles which can increase the surface area by up to 300% but it is best to stick to the calculator figures as power cuts kill fish.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl_steveo wrote:
My neon and plec seem to be perfectly fine with the tank conditions so I think I'll aim my tank towards compatible partners with them two.

Thanks for the advice mate. Karma Thumbs Up
welcome

-LG-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
-LG- wrote:

Brilliant, thanks Smile.

Load of bollocks, the surface area of the tank dictats the amount of air in the water, all fish including plecs breath but you can increase the surface area but introducing an air pump as it produces bubbles which can increase the surface area by up to 300% but it is best to stick to the calculator figures as power cuts kill fish.

Cheers Smile. Doesn't surprise me that its bollocks, she was an expert on everything, but didn't know anything!

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="-LG-"

Cheers Smile. Doesn't surprise me that its bollocks, she was an expert on everything, but didn't know anything![/quote] they only want to sell you equipment, test kits, food and fish of which only 0.2% survive more than a week

-LG-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
[quote="-LG-"

Cheers Smile. Doesn't surprise me that its bollocks, she was an expert on everything, but didn't know anything!
they only want to sell you equipment, test kits, food and fish of which only 0.2% survive more than a week[/quote]

Pets at Home or my ex?

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death at home is how they're usually known. I was in there today picking up bogwood and they must have had about ten tanks under treatment.

Their tanks do look good and lively mind it is tempting to buy from them but luckily there is a local fish shop streets away from me and he's a sound guy.

-LG-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl_steveo wrote:
Death at home is how they're usually known. I was in there today picking up bogwood and they must have had about ten tanks under treatment.

Their tanks do look good and lively mind it is tempting to buy from them but luckily there is a local fish shop streets away from me and he's a sound guy.

I went to another one today, they only had cold water fish for ponds. Unsure what else there is nearby. Will have to google for a few other places.

Got to Pets and Home around 1200, and wasn't allowed to buy a fish until 1400 for some reason.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where abouts are you?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4