Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ride to Scotland - July 2015

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

nerald
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:18 - 11 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just done the Isles of Harris and Lewis and wasn't overly impressed (not worth the expense of ferries). Better to stick with Skye and the western mainland in my opinion.

MacZurbi
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:59 - 18 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

spnorm wrote:
With 14 nights, also consider including the English Lake District, North Pennines and Yorkshire Dales in your tour, and Dumfries & Galloway in southern Scotland Thumbs Up

North of Edinburgh/Glasgow the A93/A939 through the Cairngorms is also a must. Avoid the A9 though as it's an awful road

I just checked some routes in the region of L.D. and Pennines - looks good to drive some miles/kilometres.

It seems, that for example, the A686 could be very interesting...

Sometimes it is good to check maps again and again Mr. Green

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 18 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of good roads around Alston, the A686 attracts a lot of nutters, a few of the roads a little south of there are a little better.

On a sunny sunday you can walk from Alston to Penrith without touching the ground by just standing on the huge lines of BMW GSs parked up

Use the B6295, or B2278 to create a circular route

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.799972,-2.311807,3a,75y,65.06h,75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgssm65K04XwRYuNU8UK7jQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

jonathan26
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 22 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Switzerland Fredy,
I not sure when your going, but I'm driving up from London 29 June and will be stopping at Glasgow, Fort William, Skye, Durness, Fort Augustus, then last stop back down to Pickering before back to London.

Key areas I'm looking forward to seeing is the ardnamurchan peninsula, applecross peninsula and Trotternish peninsula.

MacZurbi
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 06:04 - 30 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonathan26 wrote:
Hi Switzerland Fredy,
I not sure when your going, but I'm driving up from London 29 June and will be stopping at Glasgow, Fort William, Skye, Durness, Fort Augustus, then last stop back down to Pickering before back to London.

Key areas I'm looking forward to seeing is the ardnamurchan peninsula, applecross peninsula and Trotternish peninsula.

Hi Jonathan,

we will drive up to Scotland starting July 11th in Switzerland, arriving in North Shields with DFDS Ferry will be on July 14th and then 2 weeks cruising around.

We actually changed our routing to:
2 nights in Dumfries
1 night in Glasgow
2 nights in Kyleakin(Isle of Skye)
1 overnight in Lochinver
1 night in Lybster
1 night in Inverness
1 night in Banchory
2 nights in Stirling
2 nights in Edinburgh
and the last night will be in Newcastle u/Tyne

before it go back to Amsterdam by Ferry.

Hope you enjoy your holiday...
Regards,
Fredy

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 30 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MacZurbi"]
jonathan26 wrote:

2 nights in Dumfries
1 night in Glasgow
1 overnight in Lochinver
1 night in Lybster
1 night in Inverness
1 night in Banchory
2 nights in Stirling
2 nights in Edinburgh

Enjoy Thumbs Up

I would have 1 night Dumfries area and spend more time in the general area of Lochinver, the Dumfries area does not cut it in comparison to the North West.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chain driven
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 30 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have 1 night Dumfries area and spend more time in the general area of Lochinver, the Dumfries area does not cut it in comparison to the North West.
Castle Douglas,to Kirkcudbrightshire to gatehouse of fleet, Wigtown, Whithorn,port William,port Patrick, Stranraer up the coast cut in to maybole catch the 77 ( boring bit ) dutchhouse roundabout to Irvine/ Kilwinning ( by pass both ) back on the coast road up to Largs head for gourock ferry to Dunoon and the west coast awaits your pleasure Laughing

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:33 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with them two but i would just cut Dumfries out and make night one Glasgow. My step Family are from Dunfries and its a dump. Only exciting thing is the river neith boar. Cut threw is you must but take the west coast road (A75/A77) up to Glasgow and have night one that area saving two nights up nicer scenery. That should take you around six hours
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MacZurbi
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:46 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPz750 wrote:
I am with them two but i would just cut Dumfries out and make night one Glasgow. My step Family are from Dunfries and its a dump. Only exciting thing is the river neith boar. Cut threw is you must but take the west coast road (A75/A77) up to Glasgow and have night one that area saving two nights up nicer scenery. That should take you around six hours

Hi and thanks for your support and tipps.

First i have to tell you, that it is our first visit to UK/Scotland and so it is the first time for us, with driving on the left (for us wrong) side!

So we will not ride to long day legs at first.

Dumfries was a good alternate to first thought Peebles.
Our problem is, that we want to stay often 2 nights at the same accomodation. From Dumfries it is planned, that we will do a day ride to Mull of Galloway and back (one direction on A75 and the other direction on A712 passing Galloway Forest Park).

To Glasgow from Dumfries we will drive up to Ayr via B729/A713 and then up at coast line. Due we only stay one night there we will arrive not too late to have a short visit in Downtown and catch a little bit of the city Wink.

Best regards
Fredy

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill write a better answer later tonight Freddy. Busy just now Dumfries, Glasgow, Newcastle is a waste of four nights. Even Stirling. Spend one night there as its not that big. Castle and Wallace monument is about it. Spend those day/nights up north in nice clean air with good roads and scenery. I would get off the ferry and head to Balloch, south Loch Lomond. That is only around a four hour trip. You can get a lot of islands from Oban ferry.

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im up in Ullapool

Applecross (pass of the cattle road) then A896 from to Torridon / Kinlochewe is stunning.

Ullapool to Kylesku is a good road and gets pretty twisty as you turn to head north, you can get the bike cranked right over on the Kylesku bridge.

Note there are not so many petrol stations north of Inverness and they can be closed early and not all are open on a Sunday (think the later goes even more son on the Islands).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Freddy. What i would prefer.

I think you are wasting days on areas with nothing. Why Dumfries is it a must? And Glasgow and Newcasle. All towns with nothing much with a slight exception to Glasgow but even then i would rather be spending my time in areas with scenery and nice roads. Edinburgh to your Gerry is only 2 hours. So if it was me

1 Night. Ferry/Newcasle up to Balloch and spend the night in that area.

2 nights. Balloch to Oban but take the long way to see more.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Balloch,+West+Dunbartonshire/Furnace/Lochgilphead/Arduaine,+Argyll+and+Bute,+UK/Oban/@56.2063204,-5.361824,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m32!4m31!1m5!1m1!1s0x4888530d818bc933:0xdfa9ce7acdb84713!2m2!1d-4.580081!2d56.002716!1m5!1m1!1s0x4889746f4f839763:0xaf8466dff9cdc758!2m2!1d-5.181776!2d56.153288!1m5!1m1!1s0x48897893a53ec45f:0x4dd11a62ea56ff2f!2m2!1d-5.432345!2d56.038292!1m5!1m1!1s0x48897ce836230633:0x304be8d6310fd652!2m2!1d-5.553036!2d56.235844!1m5!1m1!1s0x488941d0d2ddf1c1:0x83dd4aff818fc237!2m2!1d-5.471047!2d56.415157!3e0?hl=en

That is only 2-3 hours so stop for lunch anywhere nice. Get into Oban in the afternoon and book two nights in a hotel. Relax and get the ferry next day from Oban to Mull and back. Mind and visit Tobermory when on Mull

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobermory,_Mull

2 nights. Oban to Kylekin

2 nights. Kylekin to Lochinver. I say two nights as you are missing areas like Plockton and Applecross and the coast roads up. Worth spending time riding this area.

1 night. Lochinver go north to Durness. Visit thing like Smoo Cave also take in a few distilleries on the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoo_Cave

1 night. Durness to Leyster. That is only a two hour trip if you are lucky so i would just visit for lunch and head south at this point to Inverness for the night.

Why are you going to Banchory? I would rather go down to Fort Augustus taking in Lock ness. Visit Urquhart Castle on the way down.

https://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/places/propertyresults/propertyoverview.htm?PropID=PL_297&PropName=Urquhart%20Castle

1 night. Keep going south and spend the night in Fort William. Vist Ben Nevis. There is a foot path that takes you half the way up but don’t go further as you won’t be prepared for the unpredictable weather.

1night. Fort William to Stirling. Take the A82 to Glencoe at Tyndrum that changes to the A85 then A84 at Lochearnhead so watch but your sat nav will keep you right. Stirling is only two hours away so book your Hotel and Visit the Castle. If visiting the Wallace Monument you can do this in the morning before heading for Edinburgh

2 nights. Stirling to Edinburgh

Now i think that is 13 nights like your trip but seeing more of the highlands and better roads/scenery. Now you are leaving Edinburgh on the same morning as your ferry is booked. By the time you ride out the city it will only take you 2 and a half hours to the ferry port so don’t panic for time East out the city and take the A1 south. You can leave the city south and head for Penicuik. This is a better bike road the A68. Its been years since i went that way and not sure about time scale. You should be ok as i don’t think you need to be at the ferry until 15.30 at the latest. You have a restaurant on the right hand side at the ferry terminal. Worth keeping in mind if eating before you get on the ship. Prices are good.

MacZurbi
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:42 - 02 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPz750 wrote:
OK Freddy. What i would prefer.

I think you are wasting days on areas with nothing. Why Dumfries is it a must? And Glasgow and Newcasle. All towns with nothing much with a slight exception to Glasgow but even then i would rather be spending my time in areas with scenery and nice roads. Edinburgh to your Gerry is only 2 hours. So if it was me

1 Night. Ferry/Newcasle up to Balloch and spend the night in that area.

2 nights. Balloch to Oban but take the long way to see more.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Balloch,+West+Dunbartonshire/Furnace/Lochgilphead/Arduaine,+Argyll+and+Bute,+UK/Oban/@56.2063204,-5.361824,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m32!4m31!1m5!1m1!1s0x4888530d818bc933:0xdfa9ce7acdb84713!2m2!1d-4.580081!2d56.002716!1m5!1m1!1s0x4889746f4f839763:0xaf8466dff9cdc758!2m2!1d-5.181776!2d56.153288!1m5!1m1!1s0x48897893a53ec45f:0x4dd11a62ea56ff2f!2m2!1d-5.432345!2d56.038292!1m5!1m1!1s0x48897ce836230633:0x304be8d6310fd652!2m2!1d-5.553036!2d56.235844!1m5!1m1!1s0x488941d0d2ddf1c1:0x83dd4aff818fc237!2m2!1d-5.471047!2d56.415157!3e0?hl=en

That is only 2-3 hours so stop for lunch anywhere nice. Get into Oban in the afternoon and book two nights in a hotel. Relax and get the ferry next day from Oban to Mull and back. Mind and visit Tobermory when on Mull

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobermory,_Mull

2 nights. Oban to Kylekin

2 nights. Kylekin to Lochinver. I say two nights as you are missing areas like Plockton and Applecross and the coast roads up. Worth spending time riding this area.

1 night. Lochinver go north to Durness. Visit thing like Smoo Cave also take in a few distilleries on the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoo_Cave

1 night. Durness to Leyster. That is only a two hour trip if you are lucky so i would just visit for lunch and head south at this point to Inverness for the night.

Why are you going to Banchory? I would rather go down to Fort Augustus taking in Lock ness. Visit Urquhart Castle on the way down.

https://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/places/propertyresults/propertyoverview.htm?PropID=PL_297&PropName=Urquhart%20Castle

1 night. Keep going south and spend the night in Fort William. Vist Ben Nevis. There is a foot path that takes you half the way up but don’t go further as you won’t be prepared for the unpredictable weather.

1night. Fort William to Stirling. Take the A82 to Glencoe at Tyndrum that changes to the A85 then A84 at Lochearnhead so watch but your sat nav will keep you right. Stirling is only two hours away so book your Hotel and Visit the Castle. If visiting the Wallace Monument you can do this in the morning before heading for Edinburgh

2 nights. Stirling to Edinburgh

Now i think that is 13 nights like your trip but seeing more of the highlands and better roads/scenery. Now you are leaving Edinburgh on the same morning as your ferry is booked. By the time you ride out the city it will only take you 2 and a half hours to the ferry port so don’t panic for time East out the city and take the A1 south. You can leave the city south and head for Penicuik. This is a better bike road the A68. Its been years since i went that way and not sure about time scale. You should be ok as i don’t think you need to be at the ferry until 15.30 at the latest. You have a restaurant on the right hand side at the ferry terminal. Worth keeping in mind if eating before you get on the ship. Prices are good.

Hi and thank you for your detailed info and tour tipps.

As I already wrote in an earlier thread, we will be the first time in UK with motorbikes and want a stress-free beginning of the tour.

Maybe you understand, if I tell you, that we will go north from Switzerland in 1 day to Holland (about 500 miles).

So we have thought, that Dumfries is a little bigger city where we can stay 2 nights and get out of the accomodation for a longer walk than to the next Pub Wink

Also if we don't want to do the day tour to Mull of Galloway v.v.

We know, that there are nicer places to stay but for the start, we will do it now like that.

Glasgow we stay for a night only - so we have a maximum of a half day to explore the city and coming down a little bit.

From GLA we will drive via Loch Lomond, Killin, Kinloch Rannoch and then via A86 to Spean Bridge/Fort William and further northwards to Isle of Skye. At the moment we don't know, if we drive via Mallaig and the ferry or via Invergarry and A87...

The one day in Kyleakin is planned for a day tour on the Isle of Skye up to Neist Lighthouse and so on.

Plockton and Applecross will be done on the way from Kyleakin to Lochinver and Durness, Smoo Cave and Duncansby Head Lighthouse will be on the next stage to Lybster.

Dunrobin Castle, Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle is on the way from Lybster to Inverness. For this we will drive A862 and A831 into Drumnadrochit. It is planned, that we will circle the Loch Ness after visiting the Castle and searching Nessie Rolling Eyes .

From Inverness to Banchory we will visit Culloden Battlefield, heading south on A939 to Balmoral and then on B976 to Banchory.
This will be a stopover in a accomodation for sleep and the next day visit Dunnottar Castle and driving at A92 to Dundee and to Stirling.

Stirling is a two night stop from there we will do a short hop to Falkirk and back to visit the Wheel. On the next day from Stirling to Edinburgh we will going up first via Duke's Pass to Lochearnhead - there are some Highland Games on that day and then fast via Dunfermline and Forth Road Bridge into Edinburgh for the next two nights.

For the end, Newcastle will be the last night, so we can visit Angel of the North, crossing the Millenium Bridge, having a relaxing last evening in UK before we are driving the short ride to the ferry on next day.

If everything will go good, than I think that we come back again to Scotland and doing the Western Part of the Highlands with the Islands.

So, a lot of the time is now already planned in advance but can change short-timed.

Regards,
Fredy

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 02 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never set a road trip in stone. Ill have rough destinations each day but thats about it as its forever changing as you find more interesting things. You will fint this out after two nights in Dumfries Laughing

Nah, whatever you decide mate as its your trip. The main thing is you enjoy it and i do hope you get the weather as well. I just had a few mated over from Dortmund doing a Highlands tour and they got the sun for 10 days.

jonathan26
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 08 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacZurbi wrote:
jonathan26 wrote:
Hi Switzerland Fredy,

Hi Jonathan,

we will drive up to Scotland starting July 11th in Switzerland, arriving in North Shields with DFDS Ferry will be on July 14th and then 2 weeks cruising around.

2 nights in Dumfries
1 night in Glasgow
1 overnight in Lochinver
1 night in Lybster
1 night in Inverness
1 night in Banchory
2 nights in Stirling
2 nights in Edinburgh

Regards,
Fredy

Hi Fredy,
Wow what a fab time I had. Since I was riding on my own, I decided to stay at youth hostels. which in general were very good. Good facilities and nice people. However, one of the affiliated youth hostels I stayed in Glasgow was not good, bloody dirty to be honest. Doing this again, I would miss out Glasgow.
The road coming out of Glasgow was amazing, A82. past the first Loch Lomond, to Glen Coe. If you have time at Glen Coe take the B863 a twisty road around Loch Leven. After That I took the ferry at Corran and followed the A861 West to the coast. Stay west if you can. I made my way to Morar and Mallaig. I took the ferry from Mallaig to Skye. Nice to go by ferry and come of the Island by the bridge. I would stay on Skye for at minimum of two days, Ideally three. Which will give you time to walk around. Take your walking boots. I stayed in Glenbrittle Hostel in the south next to the black Cullin hills. A great hostel. Obviously, places to look at, the old man of storr rock, kilt rock, the Trotternish hills in the north. there is a single track road that take you up into the hills just past Kilt rock. Amazing views of the hills and the coast.
Once off Skye do explore around Applecross. If you do nothing else on the west coast, do that. I followed the roads north along the west coast up to Durness. The roads going up that way were built for bikes. when I do it again. I will stay in Applecross for a few days and explore the local area. Also I will stay in Durness for some days and properly expore the local beaches.
I must say I was lucky with the weather, I only had one day that I had to put waterproofs on.
Other places I stayed was Fort William and Fort Augustus, which was good also. The West coast has so much to offer, in terms of scenery. I will be going back for that. I probably will not bother with the big towns.

I any event, I hope you enjoy your tour of Scotland, its a wonderful place to visit.

take care.

jonathan

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
However, one of the affiliated youth hostels I stayed in Glasgow was not good, bloody dirty to be honest. Doing this again, I would miss out Glasgow.
[/quote]

Name that hostel please, it needs to be shamed for letting Glasgow down.

Sounds like you had a great trip Thumbs Up

jonathan26
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

delsol wrote:

However, one of the affiliated youth hostels I stayed in Glasgow was not good, bloody dirty to be honest. Doing this again, I would miss out Glasgow.
[/quote]

Name that hostel please, it needs to be shamed for letting Glasgow down.

Sounds like you had a great trip Thumbs Up[/quote]

Alba Hostel, this is my own personal opinion. The reason the communal kitchen was dirty and bedding was already used.

MacZurbi
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:13 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonathan26 wrote:
MacZurbi wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

2 nights in Dumfries
1 night in Glasgow
1 overnight in Lochinver
1 night in Lybster
1 night in Inverness
1 night in Banchory
2 nights in Stirling
2 nights in Edinburgh

Regards,
Fredy

Hi Fredy,
Wow what a fab time I had. Since I was riding on my own, I decided to stay at youth hostels. which in general were very good. Good facilities and nice people. However, one of the affiliated youth hostels I stayed in Glasgow was not good, bloody dirty to be honest. Doing this again, I would miss out Glasgow.
The road coming out of Glasgow was amazing, A82. past the first Loch Lomond, to Glen Coe. If you have time at Glen Coe take the B863 a twisty road around Loch Leven. After That I took the ferry at Corran and followed the A861 West to the coast. Stay west if you can. I made my way to Morar and Mallaig. I took the ferry from Mallaig to Skye. Nice to go by ferry and come of the Island by the bridge. I would stay on Skye for at minimum of two days, Ideally three. Which will give you time to walk around. Take your walking boots. I stayed in Glenbrittle Hostel in the south next to the black Cullin hills. A great hostel. Obviously, places to look at, the old man of storr rock, kilt rock, the Trotternish hills in the north. there is a single track road that take you up into the hills just past Kilt rock. Amazing views of the hills and the coast.
Once off Skye do explore around Applecross. If you do nothing else on the west coast, do that. I followed the roads north along the west coast up to Durness. The roads going up that way were built for bikes. when I do it again. I will stay in Applecross for a few days and explore the local area. Also I will stay in Durness for some days and properly expore the local beaches.
I must say I was lucky with the weather, I only had one day that I had to put waterproofs on.
Other places I stayed was Fort William and Fort Augustus, which was good also. The West coast has so much to offer, in terms of scenery. I will be going back for that. I probably will not bother with the big towns.

I any event, I hope you enjoy your tour of Scotland, its a wonderful place to visit.

take care.

jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

thanks for your input. As you can see on my planning, we will drive already a part of your tour too!
Hopefully, the weather will stay as at the moment with not too much water from the sky Cool

I have been about 26 years ago the first and only time - but with public transportations (train/coach/ferry). It is something like a return - but on two wheels only...

Regards,
Fredy

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 19 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get on Fredy? Enjoy, weather, stick to plan, Loved it, hated it. Will be back, Pictures.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 19 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacZurbi wrote:
Thanks to all your inputs.

We will start in less than 5 weeks Dance!

but I am just on the way to check if we will change routing a little bit.

At the moment we have planned to go up to Isle of Harris/Lewis.
Maybe we will change and let the Isle be and add a additional day off!

The whole trip will be 15 days/14 nights in UK/Scotland and for the moment, we only have one day off in Edinburgh planned at the end of the trip.

Regards,
Fredy

If you fancy treating yourselves ...

https://www.thetorridon.com/hotel/

And the A896 is wonderful Smile

jonathan26
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 29 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi Jonathan,

thanks for your input. As you can see on my planning, we will drive already a part of your tour too!
Hopefully, the weather will stay as at the moment with not too much water from the sky Cool

I have been about 26 years ago the first and only time - but with public transportations (train/coach/ferry). It is something like a return - but on two wheels only...

Regards,
Fredy

Hi Fredy, Did you have a good tour?
Hope it went well.

MacZurbi
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:18 - 31 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

we where back to Switzerland with all bikes and a lot of impressions of Scotland!

Unfortunately, the weather was changing a lot and so we wear all Morning already our rain clothes Rain

At least, we made more than 5000 km (including Switzerland-Amsterdam v.v.). Up to two small "mistakes" we also had no problems with driving on the left side.
The two "interludes" where always after a stop due to fuel up and sightseeing....

In the next time I will check our pictures with 6 cams and then upload some here to the forum.

Regards from the Alps,

Fredy
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 77 days between these two posts...

MacZurbi
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:20 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello together,

a long time ago I advised, that I will check out our photos and upload a handful here in the forum!
As it sometimes works, I had so many things to do and also some familial mourning.

Finally, I found the time and calm to redeem the announcement!

Enjoy it…. 

Day 1 – Switzerland – Holland (760 km)

Cause we have done a visited our friends in Holland, we decided to drive from Switzerland to Holland in one go.
From Zurich via Basel – German Motorways – Karlsruhe – Koblenz - Venlo to Holland.
Fortunately, due no big traffic jams, the leg takes 11 hours inclusive breaks.

Day 2 – Daytour Utrecht (100 km)

This day, we have made a short trip to Utrecht for a coffee break:
https://i.imgur.com/aQ4Siq2.png

What a beautiful city
https://i.imgur.com/CdDZ0SG.png

Day 3 – Ferry from Ijmuiden (100 km)

A short day leg to Ijmuiden should who be normally stressless!
Unfortunately, the Dutch road builders had other intensions and so the way was longer than planned. From about 1.30-2.00 hours the day changed to more than 3.30 hours!
Thankfully, we started timely….

Cabin obtained – View in driving direction:
https://i.imgur.com/KSByrKf.png

….and then sitting on deck, drinking something and enjoyed the perspective …
https://i.imgur.com/GIqAItB.png

The view back:
https://i.imgur.com/7eEbipb.png

and ahead – Where is this Scotland?
https://i.imgur.com/MBbpYb9.png

Day 4 – From Newcastle to Dumfries (Galloway) (260 km)

…there it is!!!!!
https://i.imgur.com/suIzZHr.png

…Pack up the bikes and have some smalltalk…
https://i.imgur.com/i3fCaU2.png

… after the close down from the ferry a last minute to gather the minds and shift round, than:

From now on – LEFTHAND-TRAFFIC - !!!!

After 1.5 hours on the roads – first stop with sightseeing at Chollerford
Chesters Roman Fort and Museum at Hadrian’s Wall.
https://i.imgur.com/jtGeWi5.png

With a small refreshment in stomach, we crossed the rolling country of Cumbria with a coffee break at Hartside Top:
https://i.imgur.com/EBn7TcR.png

We reached (with some extra rounds) the Stone Circle of Long Meg and her daughters:
https://i.imgur.com/Qelca3s.png

https://i.imgur.com/RBe6KxJ.png

Our day finished in the city of Dumfries:
https://i.imgur.com/l2qFg6S.png

Day 5 – Daytour Galloway & Dumfriesshire (320 km)

Our daytour should not only follow on Mainroad throughout the region but also along on Single-Tracks (something like a training for us, as it is to needs to getting used more often in the northern part of Scotland). From Dumfries we ran first southerly and visited Sweatheart Abbey, a treasure in the the community New Abbey:
https://i.imgur.com/ldUFTPp.png

From there, along the coast via Castle Point Rockcliff, where we enjoyed the view from the beach in Direction to North West England:
https://i.imgur.com/X1XQRdS.png

Caffee break at Kirkcudbright with the ruins of MacLellans Castle:
https://i.imgur.com/1B4Cohe.png

In the community of Whithorn a visit at the historical Whithorn Priory:
https://i.imgur.com/DFA4rSv.png

Target of the day catched:
https://i.imgur.com/3o4z6D2.png

Mull of Galloway – the southernmost point of Scotland – Thanks to the good weather,
Best visions to Northern Ireland, to the Isle of Man and naturally again to North West England:
https://i.imgur.com/BjbTXKF.png

Across the A712 back to Dumfries.

Day 6 – Dumfries to Glasgow (200 km)

This very short day leg we planned, to do sightseeing through the commercial capital in the afternoon.
City Hall:
https://i.imgur.com/RLnkW4X.png

Gallery of Modern Art:
https://i.imgur.com/St7JsnR.png

A typically POLICE STATION:
https://i.imgur.com/5miyESz.png

Nearby the fairground the Millenium Bridge:
https://i.imgur.com/3NJD0tu.png

MacZurbi
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:21 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 7 – Glasgow to the Isle of Skye (440 km)

The longest day leg – Throughout the Highlands to Kyleakin, vis-a-vis of Kyle of Lochalsh
near Skye Bridge in the south of this beautiful island.
Bad weather conditions with heavy rainfalls. Only short Photo-Stops on the road:

For example-Killin – Falls of Dochart
https://i.imgur.com/EPgJgDT.png

or later in the middle of nowhere – enjoy wideness
https://i.imgur.com/RS9wWdn.png

A short stop again at Glenfinnan – with his roundly known Viaduct:
https://i.imgur.com/bUo8FTy.png

Arrival at Kyleakin – best scottish weather. From our room the view to the Skye-Bridge.
https://i.imgur.com/pCVXuKB.png

Day 8 – Daytrip Isle of Skye (200 km)

Yes, in place you should have a look of beautiful pictures from the Isle of Skye. Heavy rainfalls again and so, only two, three short photo-stops:

The old bridge of Sligachan
https://i.imgur.com/gdP5y6m.png

….Kilt Rock
https://i.imgur.com/NKntfFi.png

…the ruins of Castle Moil, nearby of Kyleakin
https://i.imgur.com/uw39ygI.png

Day 9 – Isle of Skye to Lochinver (310 km )

On this leg, two highlights should be included - one cultural, historical and a motorcycle technical. In which the second one has a major theme, the weather! First, we crossed the Skye Bridge and driven along Loch Alsh to Dornie for a visit at Eilean Donan Castle – one of the most beautiful castle complexes throughout Scotland:
https://i.imgur.com/SvLOw6S.png

https://i.imgur.com/cEpBoNH.png

After the sightseeing, our tour lead us via A890/A896 to the next Highlight – the Bealach na Bà or Applecross Pass. Before we started in Switzerland, I told to all, that this will be one of the main Highlights on the whole Tour will be!

Panoramic view on the way up:
https://i.imgur.com/M2Bjabg.png

There we will cross the pass:
https://i.imgur.com/BEsueds.png

Typical View on the highest point:
https://i.imgur.com/EvgKs9r.png

After this the well-deserved Lunch break at Applecross Inn – well known by a lot of Motorcyclists!
https://i.imgur.com/WZR8v02.png
From there we followed the coast line of the region Wester Ross – most on Single Tracks!

Over and over stunning views:
https://i.imgur.com/olhwRB7.png

Our Day finished at Lochinver, about 50 km nordeastern of Ullapool.

Sadly, whe have no modest photos of the last section Drumrunie via Badgnagyle to Lochinver.
A very nice but narrow Singletrack road on 35 km.

Day 10 – Lochinver to North East (320 km)

A recreative night and a strenghtening with a typical scottish breakfast later, our first short visit was Ardvreck Castle, belong the A837:
https://i.imgur.com/41xhtKU.png

From there it was a short time to a Parking Lot directly along the A837, where as a insider tip from our Host in Lochinver – only about 200m boardwalk to a hidden water fall….
https://i.imgur.com/bHhfeLk.png

This view – who was gorgeous – we had after perceived 500 m scrambling walk across rubble, morass, 12° temperature with drizzle rain in motorcycle clothes.

Via Durness, we reached Balnakeil
https://i.imgur.com/Vnco7lJ.png

https://i.imgur.com/KWJZAVX.png

and 5 km later climbing down to Smoo Cave:

https://i.imgur.com/tHMzP2C.png

https://i.imgur.com/pVZbSM6.png

https://i.imgur.com/XPpEZh5.png

https://i.imgur.com/nWdApWc.png

From there always northeast warts:

Stunning views
https://i.imgur.com/RRrsHPf.png

Dunnet Head – the Northernmost Point on the scotish „mainland:
https://i.imgur.com/BdeAXlX.png

We spend the night at a lovely B&B in Lybster, SW of Wick.

MacZurbi
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:22 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 11 – From North East to Loch Ness (250 km)

Two Sightseeing highlights where planned – Dunrobin Castle, North of Golspie, the biggest residential home in the Northern part of the Highlands, the ancestreal seat of the Clan Sutherland:
https://i.imgur.com/09kg2u5.png

https://i.imgur.com/bjm8VR3.png

The falconry showed us theyre favorites:
https://i.imgur.com/O85z66t.png

On the A9 until short before Dingwall, where we went westerly into the Highlands. Via A86, A831 and Cannich we hit the Loch Ness. A must visit is Urquhart Castle, also if the crowd was awesome:
https://i.imgur.com/NbusLuZ.png

https://i.imgur.com/W2o1tH3.png

https://i.imgur.com/jBtUzsZ.png

https://i.imgur.com/gVZrntN.png

The Night we have been in Inverness – about a half hour from Urquhart.

In the evening a city walk through the highland capital:
https://i.imgur.com/THBdRDo.png

Day 12 – Tea Time at Balmoral(230 km)

Our first stop was a short visit at Culloden Battlefield, only a short drive from Inverness.

Are there some hobbits?
https://i.imgur.com/V5bysWl.png

https://i.imgur.com/KPhpUFZ.png

On the A939 via Grantown-on-Spey we traversed the Cairngorms Mountains Region and had a longer sightseeing stop about Tea Time at Balmoral Castle:
https://i.imgur.com/k2FPSGL.png

https://i.imgur.com/OyNWOvD.png

https://i.imgur.com/J5daA0J.png

Before arriving in Banchory, where our day finished, a short detour to Tomnaverie Stone Circle:
https://i.imgur.com/ryFTOiX.png

Day 13 – Dunnottar Castle and the Region Stirling (300 km)

Only a 45 minute drive, our next castle on the To see List – Dunnottar – south of Stonehaven at the North Sea Coast:
https://i.imgur.com/lHWDip2.png

https://i.imgur.com/kEphvMp.png

https://i.imgur.com/wyKkrAD.png

View from the top of the ruins along the coast line:
https://i.imgur.com/PaZXWqf.png

https://i.imgur.com/Fb5rzXp.png

Due to newly rain there are no more photos on our way to Stirling.

Day 14 – Stirling and the channel (60 km)

This day should be a relaxing day. On the way we found out, that on one of the Hondas, the tyre behind suffered on the tour. Via phone we ordered a new one at J K Motorcycles, Munro Road and brought the bike at the morning. Due to a lot of work, it should take about 3 hours. So, I had a passenger on our sidetrip to Falkirk:

First – the Falkirk Wheel …:
https://i.imgur.com/bLZxMcd.png

https://i.imgur.com/iFAs2wu.png

and then – the statues of the Kelpies:
https://i.imgur.com/tvWLk81.png

https://i.imgur.com/ofoqpqP.png

From there back to Stirling, pick up the Motorcycle and change clothes for our afternoon walk to the castle and the Wallace Monument.

First we had to cross this bridge:
https://i.imgur.com/OUR8sCW.png

… after a short ascension to Stirling Castle we have paid attendance to Robert the Bruce:
https://i.imgur.com/XR0FBJk.png

https://i.imgur.com/3pHcM9S.png

https://i.imgur.com/NChaEeK.png

https://i.imgur.com/omRsM57.png

As we have spent too much time in the town, we changed the Visit at the Wallace Monuments to the next Morning!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3