Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


BMW K1200S, RT, GT etc. ? buying advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

eddypeck
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 19 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 23 Feb 2015    Post subject: BMW K1200S, RT, GT etc. ? buying advice Reply with quote

I posted elsewhere about my current situation:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=300040&highlight=

I'm looking for a suitable motorway commuter, I do 300 miles a week all weather (I do have access to a car for the very worst of winter!).

I used to have a Kawasaki ZX9r which was a great all-rounder, but before I got that a BMW R1100S was high on my comparison list, but was more expensive than the Kawasaki.

Now I find myself looking for a replacement I find myself drawn back to the BMWs, the R1100s again. But also the 1200's

The R1200RTs are quite plentiful and good value as ex-police bikes - although high miles.

But also the K1200RS / S / and even GT are quite appealing.

I'm looking for someone with experience of these and any recommendations, and more importantly stuff to look for and things to avoid.

I'm drawn by alleged reliability and promises of long life motors but I'm slightly concerned by complex over engineering and expensive bills when stuff goes wrong.

thanks in advance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

raesewell
Traffic Copper



Joined: 22 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:39 - 24 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going for a K bike make sure it has a service history and a BMW warranty and keep the warranty going.
____________________
Yamaha FJR 1300 Normanton West Yorkshire
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:01 - 25 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to heavily use any BMW make sure it in warranted and keep it so it will cost ££££ it fix if anything major brakes

This running cost issue is why my customer who runs one of the London Taxi bike co's now uses Honda !!

Long commute use a Honda tourer ST1300 would do it and is way cheaper to maintain

Other options like Yamaha FJR1300 and Kawasaki GTR1400 are probably as good I just like Honda
____________________
Dave
NC750Xdct + others at work !
[email protected]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

eddypeck
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 19 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:16 - 25 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it's kind of the answers I was expecting. And I'm coming to a similar conclusion, I tend to do my own maintenance unless it's major stuff. I'm probably better off keeping it familiar.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:33 - 25 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally the r1100s was considered a better all around bike than the 1200 that replaced it. Self servicing is pretty easy given the cylinders are stuck way out in the air. It's the clutch that's a bugger and involved removing most of the rear end of the bike. Iirc my dad's needed a clutch at about 45,000 miles, but that's with 30 odd thousand city miles wear and tear. I'd expect the motorway to be a bit more clutch friendly.

The k1200/1300 is high on my maybe list for a replacement for my diversion. Unsure whether I fancy the s or r model. Word on the grapevine is that the 1200 uses a fair amount of oil, an issue that was sorted for the 1300. It's a few more grand for the 1300 though, and the 1200 is hardly cheap!

Got to say, despite their quirks and costs I'm still very drawn to a beemer.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spnorm
Crazy Courier



Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:53 - 25 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Generally the r1100s was considered a better all around bike than the 1200 that replaced it. Self servicing is pretty easy given the cylinders are stuck way out in the air. It's the clutch that's a bugger and involved removing most of the rear end of the bike. Iirc my dad's needed a clutch at about 45,000 miles, but that's with 30 odd thousand city miles wear and tear. I'd expect the motorway to be a bit more clutch friendly.

The k1200/1300 is high on my maybe list for a replacement for my diversion. Unsure whether I fancy the s or r model. Word on the grapevine is that the 1200 uses a fair amount of oil, an issue that was sorted for the 1300. It's a few more grand for the 1300 though, and the 1200 is hardly cheap!

Got to say, despite their quirks and costs I'm still very drawn to a beemer.


I've ridden the R1100S a few times and never liked it - the engine, which suited the GS, is far too agricultural for a sports tourer. The R1200S, on the other hand, is much more fun with great handling and plenty of go.

I had a K1200S for three years and it didn't use a drop of oil between services. I had a few riding buddies from the VFR Club who also rode K1200S's and I don't remember anyone complaining of oil usage.

My R1200GS MU and R1200RT TC both used a lot of oil - something like 3000 and 2000 miles per litre respectively Shocked My new GS LC doesn't seem to use any.

The early K1200S/R models did have quite a few teething problems, but they should have been sorted by now.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

raesewell
Traffic Copper



Joined: 22 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:37 - 25 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Generally the r1100s was considered a better all around bike than the 1200 that replaced it. Self servicing is pretty easy given the cylinders are stuck way out in the air. It's the clutch that's a bugger and involved removing most of the rear end of the bike. Iirc my dad's needed a clutch at about 45,000 miles, but that's with 30 odd thousand city miles wear and tear. I'd expect the motorway to be a bit more clutch friendly.

The k1200/1300 is high on my maybe list for a replacement for my diversion. Unsure whether I fancy the s or r model. Word on the grapevine is that the 1200 uses a fair amount of oil, an issue that was sorted for the 1300. It's a few more grand for the 1300 though, and the 1200 is hardly cheap!

Got to say, despite their quirks and costs I'm still very drawn to a beemer.


I have a 2008 1200GT which used a drop of oil up to about 18000 miles now it doesn't use any at all
____________________
Yamaha FJR 1300 Normanton West Yorkshire
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

eddypeck
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 19 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a bit of a rethink on this now and swaying towards familiar Jap stuff, I'm just not financially flush enough to go to BMW yet I think. I'd be pushing my budget to get one leaving it tight if anything were to go wrong by the sounds of it.

VFR800 or Triumph Daytona 955 are on the consideration list now, there are nice examples for under £3k, where higher mileage older BMs are over £3k
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.32 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 58.78 Kb