Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

'77 KH 250, would you buy one?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 08 Mar 2015    Post subject: '77 KH 250, would you buy one? Reply with quote

Today I came across a 1977 KH 250, for rather interesting price considering it's roadworthy and has got all the paperwork required for me to legally ride it on the open road.Approx. 1500 pounds (the exchange rate for Czech Crown is not that good at the moment) and the motorcycle is fully working, it would need new brake pads for the front caliper and some bits, but the engine is alright, as the seller claims, I would need to see it and hear it in person of course.

I've got 700 pounds just laying here and if I could sell my ZXR well, I'd be able to get this, but is it worth the money and potential problems? I do not know much about two strokes and I've never seen/worked on a triple before. Not even on a two stroke twin. Embarassed

How reliable and easy/cheap is it to keep the good times roll? I want to ride it, not push into a barn and wait 20 years to gain some ''aged value''. Reading the specs, this is not that kind of bike, you'd buy even though you'd knew it was gonna need rebuild every season. Smile
If it was a 500cc or even a 750cc, I'd buy it right away, but I just do not know with this one. This is also not a bike an average rider would like to have, so if I get bored of it, I can't see getting my money back any soon.

So, what do you think? Any owners, thoughts? Smile

Displacement: 249.00 ccm (15.19 cubic inches)
Engine type: In-line three, two-stroke
Power: 26.00 HP (19.0 kW)) @ 7000 RPM
Top speed: 138.0 km/h (85.7 mph)
Compression: 7.5:1
Bore x stroke: 45.0 x 52.3 mm (1.8 x 2.1 inches)
Fuel control: Port control
Cooling system: Air
Gearbox: 5-speed
Weight incl. oil, gas, etc: 175.0 kg (385.8 pounds)

https://images.tipmoto.com/t/i/274/274247_1.jpg

https://images.tipmoto.com/t/i/274/274247_2.jpg

https://images.tipmoto.com/t/i/274/274247_8.jpg

https://images.tipmoto.com/t/i/274/274247_7.jpg

https://images.tipmoto.com/t/i/274/274247_10.jpg

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 13:04 - 09 Mar 2015; edited 2 times in total

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 08 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the rubbishy kind of thing I might be into, but no - I wouldn't buy this. There's a couple of cb250rs on ebay at the moment for not much more which I personally would be more interested in. Not that I prefer 4t 250s - I don't. But the 250rs is a bit different. I do remember the KH250 sounding pretty crisp though. So it's got that going for it.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:09 - 08 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad has a 350. Essentially the same bike with a bigger engine. I rode it into work for a couple of weeks when my bike was off the road.

They are a sod to keep running right, tend to overheat and seize or oil-up on the centre pot. They are VERY thirsty with fuel. They chew up sparkplugs at an alarming rate. The chassis is utterly inadequate for the power/torque they produce, bending and flexing under you as you power-on out of a corner.

Don't get me wrong, they are great fun but I wouldn't have one as my only transport. It would be as an occasional toy. They are fun but in a "I don't know what's going to happen next and I'm going far faster than I ought to be far faster than I thought I would." kind of a way.

If I was going to have an air-cooled 70's 2-stroke. I'd have one of the Yamaha twins. An RD400 for preference but the 250 and 350s are also pretty reliable. LCs are also great but silly money these days.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 08 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that money I'd have it, but only as a Sunday ride. No good for every day use.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 08 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright lads, I get the idea, thank you for your input. I won't buy it. Thumbs Up

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 08 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would

Sick

Its the sex
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 08 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would

Sick

Its the sex
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 08 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

KH 250?
rode many in the day Smile and yes they were 10 on the smile gauge Thumbs Up

True they did eat plugs and foul a lot and the front caliper was scary in that it would tell you nothing until it bit so hard you were going into stoppie mode Shocked .
My GT250`s were more reliable Shocked and that`s the truth, not as much fun though.

Loved my time on them, but would`nt have one as a regular ride Sad
MCN. This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 08 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy one as a project, but a 350 or 400cc triple is regarded as better and not too powerful for the chassis like the 500's and 750's were.

I'd want to go all through it mechanically, and I would also want an electronic ignition conversion, as keeping three sets of points in adjustment would be too much ball ache, and if you didn't bother then holed pistons are likely.

A cheap KH as a bitsa project or something to dare I say Café racer would be my choice, but I'd never spend a fortune on an original resto on one, if I could have a 250LC or even X7 instead.

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 08 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had £1,500 already set aside in a "Sunday Bike" kitty then I would certainly consider it because "Two Stroke Triple."

Would rather and LC though.

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 08 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
There's a couple of cb250rs on ebay at the moment for not much more.

Is that not somewhat extortionate for a 250RS? Thinking

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:02 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we were talking the eight hundred quid mark? Imo that's alright for a decent 250rs.

edit - not sure why I thought we were talking 800 quid. Huh. Well anyway 8 or 900 is a fair price for a non-shagged cb250.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Last edited by trevor saxe-coburg-gotha on 13:29 - 09 Mar 2015; edited 1 time in total

badgermat
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:05 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I weren't on the other side of the world, I'd have that in a trice.

Couple of my friends had them back in the early 80s.

One was a fabulous but flawed 1978 KH, with dodgy electrics (held together by tape solder), and worse carburation. It finished up in a ditch due to weird handling and crap tyres.

The other was an utterly shagged and tragically "customised" 75 S1 (read awful expansion pipes and clip-ons, and worse rattle-can paint) with a drum brake. We stripped it to component parts as a joke while the owner was at the pub.

They sound incredible and are actually quite pleasant to ride if you're prepared to nurse them along and can put up with the odd handling.

bm

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode a few KHs in the 70s and didn't think that much of them. Not as quick as the RDs, nowhere near as reliable and overall crap crap handling. Sick

If I wanted a 2 stroke from the 70s I'd go for an RD400 every time.

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:14 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Do want!

You should buy this bike. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:
Shocked

Do want!

Yup, how could you not look at those three pots and find your account 700 quid shorter? Wub
I looked around a small boneyard in Florida and there were several 250 and 350 Kwak triples just waiting for my return with some spanners Mr. Green

EDIT: missed the bit that said 1500 quid, I'd have to think twice at that price.

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:58 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned and ridden triples from 250-750 for 35 years, so I will give you the proper answers rather the old wives tale and Internet nonsense.....

stinkwheel wrote:
They are a sod to keep running right, tend to overheat and seize or oil-up on the centre pot.
Very simple basic engines, easy to work on its just that there is three of everything. The centre pot seizing thing is another old wives tale that gets regurgitated regularly by Internet experts.
They chew up sparkplugs at an alarming rate.
Not if they are kept in tune, I have had some with the same plugs in for years.
The chassis is utterly inadequate for the power/torque they produce, bending and flexing under you as you power-on out of a corner.
Old wives tale, it's the very early 500's and 750's that gained this reputation, the 250's and 400's don't produce enough power to worry the chassis. Tyres and suspension were the weak link, fit modern tyres and Hagon shocks and even the big ones handle ok.

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'd want to go all through it mechanically, and I would also want an electronic ignition conversion, as keeping three sets of points in adjustment would be too much ball ache, and if you didn't bother then holed pistons are likely.
Forget the Boyer, you need a fully charged battery for them to work and they offer no performance advantage. You can start with a flat battery with points and they are a doddle to adjust with a bulb across the points. When I rode 365 days a year I checked them once a month, took about ten minutes. Now it's more likely to be once a year and with the mileage I do,will rarely need adjusting.

They are a unique sounding bike, nice to ride and bags of character. I have a 250, 500 and 750, the 250 is obviously a bit underpowered compared to the other two but they are nice to ride for different reasons, you can wring their necks! I picked up a 1977 250 B2 6 months ago for not much more than £1500 in a lot better condition than that one with a new paint set. Unfortunately people think that they are worth more due to the 500/750 prices. 250's are starting to rise but you can still pick up a mint one for £2000 if you shop around. Owners forums are best, definitely not eBay! Hope this helps Very Happy

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:
Shocked

Do want!

At first glance, I also thought I wanted it. It is very rare in the Land of beer, and 1,500 is acceptable for a fully working bike like that.

But, reading the posts, I just do not think I'd be able to keep the good times roll. And this is no CZ, where you get the parts basically for free, considering the prices. Thumbs Down

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaw, you highlighted the price specially for me, you really didn't need to... Laughing
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely buy it and get it back to total originality, these Kawasaki three-cylinder two strokes of any capacity are going up in value.....and they're going to continue doing it. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......and I'd buy a cheap CB250RS off ebay as a 'user'.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the future value of the KH, but I'm not too keen on having a motorcycle like that at the moment. Definitely not as my the only one bike. I like the rarity of the KH, but keeping it alive wouldn't be easy, nor cheap.

When you talk about CB250 RS, what's so special about this one? Seems to be like an ordinary 80's twin. Thinking
On the other hand, a CB250 RS-Z (R), would be an interesting item to have.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:14 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

When you talk about CB250 RS, what's so special about this one? Seems to be like an ordinary 80's twin. Thinking
On the other hand, a CB250 RS-Z (R), would be an interesting item to have.

The same bike with electric start and a fancy paintjob?

I always liked the look of a CB250RS - they still don't seem to have really matched the specs on modern bikes Rolling Eyes.

If I had that sort of money and wanted a second bike, I'd get a 250cc motocross 2 stroke and stick some SM wheels on it. Much fun, I would guess.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3