Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Drift Stealth 2 - Flaws

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 25 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Oh, right, my Stealth also requires a mains-powered USB source (not included) and takes ages to charge even at an ostensible 2W.

BrownTrousers wrote:
But, the screw attachment that holds the back on (for access to charge point. Sd card) did fall apart last month so now it is a right pain to put back on and will probably let in water. Thumbs Down

The round plastic wheel on top of the screw? Mine detached too, I glued it back on (on noes, warranty void).

For all these tales of woe, when it's charged up and I don't accidentally mash the mode or resolution buttons, it works pretty well. Decent image, reasonable mounting options, clever rotatable CCD, not too bulky. The features are there, they just need to make them all work at the same time, all the time.

Good job, Shillbot, you managed to provoke more criticism of your employer's product. Thumbs Up

I've used mine (Ghost HD) daily since my previous post, commuting in the rain etc and never had problems.

The battery doesn't do this discharge thing mentioned above. I charge it in a usb port at work, ride home , turn it off, use it for the next morning commute and charge again at work.

I don't use the more complicated functions so maybe I've avoided potential issues. I just press record at the start of the day, and then turn it off when at work. When the memory card has less than 10% I'll format the card to give me more space.

This post isn't to take weight from the complaints, I just feel other members could see there are also people who haven't had problems with their units. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 25 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as I started this thread I think I should give an update on my issues with the Stealth 2.

Firstly I want get out there that Drift's customer service is damn good and very responsive.

So the issues I had were battery not charging fully even after hours on the charger and when it did manage to get charged it would drain like water through a sieve. The other problem was that the LED cover fell out which meant the innards were exposed to the elements thus no longer waterproof.

After an attempt to diagnose the charging issue no problems were found and I was advised to charge from mains due to some usb ports providing incompatible power output. Then when the LED cover fell out i contacted Drift again and they very swiftly arranged for a replacement with no questions asked.

All is now well. I always charge from mains and get a verified 2 hours 40 minutes recording out of it with sound on and at 720 30fps. With sound off I can get close to 3 hours recording from it.

As with other Drift cameras the footage is excellent even at 720 30fps. Agree the buttons are a bit fiddly but I've kind of got used to them now. All in all quite happy with the product and may even buy another this winter if they have a deal on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:33 - 25 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoosnoo wrote:
... This post isn't to take weight from the complaints, I just feel other members could see there are also people who haven't had problems with their units. Thumbs Up

Pretty much exactly my experience. Thumbs Up
Had mine coming up on 3 years now, I get around 2 round trip commutes out of it, putting it somewhere in the 2.5 hr+ battery life before charging. The remote lasts well over a week using it every day too. The only features I really use are general recording 1080p in high bit rate, and the occasional snapshot should I see anything interesting.

Incidentally though, I did have the issue with the door screw not long after I first got it, contacted the retailer (action cameras) and they sent me out 2 replacement backs for free. Fixed the one I had, now got 3 backs for it Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:45 - 25 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoosnoo wrote:
Ghost HD

Contrast with the Drift Stealth 2.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:30 - 25 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownTrousers wrote:
the screw attachment that holds the back on (for access to charge point. Sd card) did fall apart last month so now it is a right pain to put back on and will probably let in water. Thumbs Down

I had this happen too it's VERY fragile compared to my the one on my Ghost HD, They replaced mines which was good although the replacement wasn't as well fitting as the original

I used to use a Roam 2 before as well and it's much more blurry in comparison (won't even go into the terrible low light video)

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 25 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:

I used to use a Roam 2 before

I have the Contour Roam 2 as well. It's a solidly built piece of kit with a no frills set up which is ideal for everyday use. Agreed that in low light the video quality is rubbish. Otherwise for the money it's a damn good camera. Still use mine as a back up camera on weekend rides out.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:31 - 25 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there's a Roam 3 review on youtube it seems to have fixed the low light issue Thumbs Up although for now I'll prolly stick with Drift, spent far too much on cameras lol

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:31 - 25 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
720 30fps.

Y U NO 1080 tho?

TheArchitect wrote:
With sound off I can get close to 3 hours recording from it.

Never occurred to me to turn the sound off. Thinking

The battery life is fine for me, if it would stay reliably charged. If it discharges itself overnight again Matron I'll find out how good the customer service is.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 25 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Y U NO 1080 tho?

No special reason, just makes the memory and battery (I think Question ) last longer. Plus I can normally get a weeks worth of commuting on one 32GB card. I like to keep the footage for a few days just in case I need to refer back to any of it for any reason.

Rogerborg wrote:

Never occurred to me to turn the sound off. Thinking

Turning sound off saves a shed load of battery I've found. Give it a try Thumbs Up

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 25 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Y U NO 1080 tho?
No special reason, just makes the memory and battery (I think Question ) last longer. Plus I can normally get a weeks worth of commuting on one 32GB card. I like to keep the footage for a few days just in case I need to refer back to any of it for any reason
Same reason i've stuck with my Drift HD 720, on the helmet at least. I got that cheap originally and am still very pleased with it overall.

Only issues i've had was its failed after many hours of severe rain on the motorway once and needed a drying out. And the screen has fogged up once or twice in similar conditions, although it remained working on those occasions. This models classed as 'weather-proof' too; so doesn't claim to be entirely waterproof in its defence.

Durability-wise; mines survived bashing into things lense-first numerous times and a few 4 foot drops directly onto it, as did the 3M adhesive mount. It finally cracked the clip and shell on the latest drop though Thumbs Down. Gaffer tape and cable tie to the rescue The world's smallest violin player, just for you!.

Have to agree with whats been said about there being little incentive to buy one of the new models, put alongside an SJ4000 though, having run one mounted on the bike for a while now. If someone would kindly put the SJ4000 in Drift-shaped housing, I would happily buy them time and time again instead the flashier new Drifts.
https://i.imgur.com/F8xMR4Y.jpg

Dartman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:23 - 15 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Dartman wrote:
I've used my Stealth for about half a year and haven't had any problems with it.

It's just super-awesome that you signed up just to tell us that. Have a *PLONK*.

Counterpoint, my Stealth gets at the very most 2 hours rather than the headline 3, the buttons are a sod to use with gloves on, and several times I've turned it off at at the end of the day with 80% charge or so, verified that it's off, turned it on the next day and it's bawwwed about being at 0% and shut down.

Not a quality piece of kit, not worth the money over an SJCAM 1000 or 4000.

It's super-awesome that you gave a plonk to someone sharing his opinion. So as I understand it's impossible here to have a different opinion than one stated by the thread's author. And someone who has never had any problems with Drift stealth and is a happy user of this device should remain silent. Thumbs Down

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:48 - 16 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks for continuing to contribute whatever it is that you're saying about this one subject.

It's prompted me to state that I now have buyer's remorse about this camera.

I'm lucky to get 4 x 25 minute commutes out of the battery. The charge indicator is a cake lie. It'll go from 50% to 0% during one of those 25 minute trips, or from 20% to shutdown in a few minutes.

It's sooooo slow to charge, taking 4+ hours even on a 2A mains charger (I've tried 2 of them, remember that the number supplied in the box is 0). At that, it flips between "charging" and "USB connection" which shows that it thinks its not getting enough juice.

All this is compounded by that bleedin' back cover that needs to be unscrewed every time with that fragile little wheel that's already snapped off once. It's not even secured to the body so it's a shoe in that I'll lose it at some point.

It should be a better camera than it is, but it ain't. I'd avoid until they sort these issues.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:30 - 26 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, mine's been on a 2A supply today for 8 hours and claims that it's still charging.

Marked-up Chinkey shite with a "brand" name that should be excoriated.

Buy an SJCAM.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 26 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Buy an SJCAM.

So I have done the right thing than, of course without this been my intent Very Happy

Anyhow I demand my 5 extra karma observation points - there is a cat lurking at Rogeborg back...again Laughing

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 26 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
So, mine's been on a 2A supply today for 8 hours and claims that it's still charging.
See if its alright if you charge the batteries externally - a lot of the camera usb-ports/cables seem to be pretty flimsy. I always take the batteries out and charge them in a dock since mine seemed to start slowing down charging the camera directly.

Think this is the right one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DSTE-Brand-FXDC02-Full-Coded-Battery-Charger-For-DRIFT-HD-GHOST-DSLR-Camera-/301212887910?hash=item4621afeb66

But yeah; pretty crap to have to pay more for that considering how much you pay for the Drifts in the first place Thumbs Down.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:17 - 26 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again for fuck's sake:

The Drift Stealth 2 has an internal battery.

The Drift Stealth 2 comes without a charger.

The Drift Stealth 2 won't charge appreciably from a USB port.

The Drift Stealth 2 needs a mains powered micro-USB charger of at least 1A in order to show that magical "Charging..." status.

Even with a 2A charger, the Drift Stealth 2 charges excruciatingly slowly, if at all.

The battery % shown on the Drift Stealth 2 is as accurate as a typical fuel gauge. It will "drift" down to 50% and then rundownto0quickerthanyoucansayChinkyshite.

Do not
buy the Drift Stealth 2.

riche
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:58 - 01 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Found this thread after suffering issues with charging my Stealth 2 as per the original post. Only had it a week and a bit disappointed - reviews were all very favourable and the low light sensitivity is
what swung it for me.

I left it charging via USB for several hours and it barely charged beyond 30%. Now trying suggestion of mains charging off my iPad charger but found that it seems to charge for a bit then stop. I have to unplug and re-plug in to get it going again.

Will monitor for a while and maybe try other chargers and report back if only to get some sort of closure on this for anyone else finding this thread. If all else fails I'll try the fabled customer services and see what they suggest!

Cheers

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:51 - 01 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's been alright, thus far. (touch wood etc)

First had had the plastic cover on the LED loose in box, so took it straight back, mind. Current one is grand. My commute is about 30-40min each way. I got 3.5 journeys before it cut out, and that was with temps hovering around 5C. That's recording 1080p@30fps.

Granted, charging needs a mains USB plug, but each evening it's back up to 100% after about 3 hours ish.

OK, all rough ball mark figures, been happy with it to not bother timing it exactly. Certainly beats my old Roadhawk Ride, which was struggling to last 30 mins once it dropped below 5C (did get 80min odd on a warm day though).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:42 - 02 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all fairness I will say that mine does now charge more reliably off of a mains charger. Still no chance of charging via USB, but it will usually fully charge in about 4 hours at 1A+. Maybe just needed eeeeased into it. Yes, I did mains-charge it overnight before first use.

4 hours is still pretty piss poor, as that's twice the ~2 hour run-time. I haven't turned the sound off because it's funnier when you crash.

It's not a bad camera, I just remain unconvinced that the components match the price.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 02 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have used USB from a PC to charge it so can't comment on that.

I always have use my mains USB phone charger, so far works fine.

What I like about Drift Stealth 2 so far:

Video quality
Small
you can easily adjust the shooting angle

What I hate:

no external mic connector
no cover that allows external power like Ghost
the internal mic when moving is completely unusable because of the wind noise

I so much hate the wind noise I almost sold the camera.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:31 - 02 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair (again) any exposed microphone is going to do that. We keep saying, earplugs are to prevent damage from wind rather than shouty exhausts. The mic is decent enough at slow speeds.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 02 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP here

just to report i did have one other issue. back cover broke one AM. emailed drift and had another on my desk by next AM.

Also I glued a small bit of mic foam over the mic. makes the sound quality at up to 50mph very audible and clear. best mod you can do i reckon.

And in fairness to drift, their customer support is really very good. Have always dealt with the issues i've raised in the most efficient and professional manner.

My stealth 2 is now spot on. charges fine and get about 2.5 hours recording at 720p30 with sound on.

All drift have to do now is sort out their iOS app. it's crap. doesn't keep connection with camera and when it does the lag makes it unusable for streaming.

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 02 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd been having problems with my Ghost HD where it would seem to get interference and stop recording, that seems to have magically stopped but now it seems to be crashing a lot. I can't use it on high bit rate at all as it will almost straight away crash and it still plays up at times on the standard bit rate.

Its a decent camera when it works and feels solidly built but is just way to temperamental.
I wouldn't mind it it was some super hi-tech piece of technology, but its just a fairly basic camera. My entry level smart phone records video as well as 100's of other things, costs half as much as the drift and doesn't have nearly as many problems.

Notj7
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:23 - 22 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the SJ4000 still the best choice here in 2016 then? Even against the Drift Ghost etc?

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 22 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

J7mbo wrote:
Is the SJ4000 still the best choice here in 2016 then? Even against the Drift Ghost etc?

Depends, opinions vary.

Despite initial issues with my Stealth 2, it's now working very well and serves it's purpose without fault. Also I prefer the sleeker design of the Stealth 2 as I mount mine on my helmet. The SJ cams don't look so aesthetically pleasing to me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4