Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Drift Stealth 2 - Flaws

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

parahandy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:58 - 21 May 2016    Post subject: Drift Stealth 2 Flaws Reply with quote

I bought a Stealth 2 and it froze after a few months use and it would not power up. Tried all suggested fixes from Drift no difference, it was replaced under warrenty as it was identified as faulty. Exactly the same thing happened with the replacement Camera, just died and would not charge. There has been some suggestion that certain memory cards can lead to issues. I used two Drift recommended cards and still had problems.
As a company I like Drift and certainly when the Stealth works its gives excellent results. If I am correct the Drift Ghosts don't seem to have the same issues as the Stealth2 models.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 21 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've got the budget model (Drift 720), but with the amount of software glitches these cameras have I wouldn't have another.

The camera froze the other day when I stopped recording, I expected there to be a corrupted file (which has happened before), there wasn't even that. Even simple stuff like connecting it to your PC, the camera can be really temperamental, and it does odd of stuff like failing to recognise memory cards.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 235 days between these two posts...

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just bought a SJ4000 for £13 free delivery from fleabay
should have it by fri so will see how good it is and post back when I get time to test it

one question not sure about mounting it on the bike or helmet ??
if its any good I'll buy another and have one on the bike and a helmet mount

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:10 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it a genuine one? I believe they started using the branding sjcam, although that's probably been copied by now Smile

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks legit, listed as an SJ4000 in the add, has all the correct spec's
comes without memory card but I have a few spare ones
there are a load on Ebay for the same price UK based and has 30 day money back and year warranty

so for £13 its no big loss Thumbs Up

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:08 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the £13.xx ones I can see on eBay are SJCAMs.

Funny old world where we can talk about fake vs genuine knock-offs.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:34 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
just bought a SJ4000 for £13 free delivery from fleabay
should have it by fri so will see how good it is and post back when I get time to test it

one question not sure about mounting it on the bike or helmet ??
if its any good I'll buy another and have one on the bike and a helmet mount

Ive had an sj4000 for two years. never had an issue with it.
Bought a ram mount ball and bar so I could mount it on the handle bar clamp. Works great

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a legit SJ400 wifi version for holiday videoing - paid £45 if I remember correctly. Can't fault it. Image quality is fantastic and very stable, whether it be low light, bright light or under water.

As for mounting it, there are dozens of hinges and elbows you can buy on ebay to get it mounted in almost any position you want. Mine came with an array of various attachments and mounts, most of which I will probably never use.

One thing to make sure is don't scrimp on the sticky mount and go for the genuine 3M (or GoPRo) ones. Last thing you want is the camera to fly off at speed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Funny old world where we can talk about fake vs genuine knock-offs.

<TrumpSaysChina.mp4>

conker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:35 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stealth 2 started making a loud static noise from the speaker when it was powered off. It now no longer turns on.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the camera arrived this morning
came with a basic flat mount, a bar mount and a 90 deg adapter no mains power but USB lead supplied

couldn't find a single flat surface on the bike I can mount it to so ordered a bag of adapters and a load of curved & flat mounts (£5)
in order to test it I stuck it on top of my helmet with the flat mount which was not ideal as only half the pad is in contact
but went a run and happy to report it worked fine and more than happy with it as it will do what I need it to do
and at £13 I'll be getting one or two more

definitelyinc...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:05 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
came with a basic flat mount, a bar mount and a 90 deg adapter no mains power but USB lead supplied

couldn't find a single flat surface on the bike I can mount it to so ordered a bag of adapters and a load of curved & flat mounts (£5)
in order to test it I stuck it on top of my helmet with the flat mount which was not ideal as only half the pad is in contact
but went a run and happy to report it worked fine and more than happy with it as it will do what I need it to do

A video would be nice Thumbs Up

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put one up soon Thumbs Up

Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year between these two posts...

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 15:19 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had issues with my stealth too, charging issues from day 1. Customer service although quick to respond just told me to take back to the dealer.

I bought it from the NEC bike show. Anyway, I would have it in charge overnight and it still would be flat the next day or at 10% and turn off almost instantly.

CS told me to charge without the memory card connected. I did this and it charges a lot faster now.

The main issue is the door, keep losing it as taking it off to charge is a pita.

Its been in charge next to me now since 9am and only on 50% charge, however, I am using a £land charger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitelyincompetent wrote:
oldpink wrote:

A video would be nice Thumbs Up

oldpink wrote:
I'll put one up soon Thumbs Up

A year later:
https://s2.quickmeme.com/img/b4/b41e05332deeb691f5b2ba0b867c0e3857d71876663b8ab3cf67210878692057.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:19 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1stu wrote:
The main issue is the door, keep losing it as taking it off to charge is a pita.

Glue a couple of cable-ties to the body and the door to simulate the hinge that should have been designed into it. Obviously once it's out of warranty.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using an old Drift HD 1080 jobby. About 4/5 years old now, Holds a charge for about 1 and a half hours on original battery (1100mah). Quality at night ain't great but it jobs a job!

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's deemed as the best value for money camera with a long battery life at the moment? Cheap is good.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My drift ghost hd gave up the ghost recently, after only a couple of years of weekend warrior use Evil or Very Mad
Trying to source a decent cheap cam with removable memory and battery that isn't a box that sticks out a mile.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:
I'm still using an old Drift HD 1080 jobby. About 4/5 years old now, Holds a charge for about 1 and a half hours on original battery (1100mah). Quality at night ain't great but it jobs a job!

Is that regular use? I rode 40mins somewhere, and was disappointed the battery died halfway back.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Moo. wrote:

Is that regular use? I rode 40mins somewhere, and was disappointed the battery died halfway back.

Everyday too and from work. Gets charged up from the usb at work, then does a 45 mins journey home, and 45 mins to work the next day

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:26 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that at 1080 or 720?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternative batteries for Drifts are cheap on ebay, I got an external USB charger and spare for about £7 but only used it a couple of times as original lasts a good two hours (Ghost HD).
The weak spot on them for me has been mini USB breaking away inside.
I had one replaced under warrant then fixed it again myself later.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people not buy a camera that runs from the bikes battery?

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Is that at 1080 or 720?

1080 although I only film at 720 for more space on the card
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4