Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Removal of faulty alarm.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

EasyGoingPat
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 10 Mar 2015    Post subject: Removal of faulty alarm. Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a BMW R1100S fitted with a Spyball alarm and an immobiliser. At the weekend, it developed a fault and left me waiting for the RAC truck.

The bike is getting on a bit in years, and I am thinking of simply removing the alarm and not fitting a replacement. Does anyone know if this is likely to be a job that I could do myself? I can follow a wiring diagram (not that I have one for the actual alarm), and I am competent at basic motorcycle work.

On a related note, does anyone know if the immobiliser is part of the Spyball or was fitted to this bike by BMW as standard? If the latter, then I am guessing that removal is not an easy thing to do.

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

Question

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 10 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could ask this outfit for some advice. They helped me remove a Meta immobiliser, by supplying a hand made bypass plug for £35. Works perfectly.

https://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EasyGoingPat
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 10 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
You could ask this outfit for some advice. They helped me remove a Meta immobiliser, by supplying a hand made bypass plug for £35. Works perfectly.

I shall get in touch with them. Thanks.

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 10 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the BMW will have a factory immobiliser fitted as standard, but the SpyBall has one too - so you really need a wiring diagram to see how it is connected.

Fitting a new battery (in the fob) and re-syncing the alarm might fix the problem.

If you know the model number, you can download a manual from Here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UK-Badger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:45 - 10 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've removed alarms/immobilisers from two bikes now and as long as you're methodical it's not difficult. Assuming it's not a simple plug in job just cut back the tape and follow the (commonly all black) alarm wires back to where they join the main loom , you'll see where the ignition and starter wire have been cut and simply rejoin them.
If your particularly smart you can wire in a hidden switch to act as a manual immobiliser and add a flashing led.

EDIT: this all assumes it's an old bike with conventional wiring and none of that CANBUS nonsense.

EasyGoingPat
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 11 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for that explanation.

Quote:
EDIT: this all assumes it's an old bike with conventional wiring and none of that CANBUS nonsense.

How do you tell whether a bike has CANBUS or standard electrics?

- Patrick
[/quote]

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 11 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:

Doesn't say much for the security if that's all it takes.

I payed £50 to have mine removed as I was needing to press the button 5-10 times to switch it off(fob battery was good) and it has gone off by itself for no reason several times.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 11 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeybiker wrote:
Andy_Pagin wrote:

Doesn't say much for the security if that's all it takes.

Well in the case of my installation, a thief would have to:

Know that the bike had a Meta fitted, and what model it was since the plugs are different.

Remove the seat and rear plastics to get at the Meta.

Undo the tamper proof screws and remove the alarm with out triggering the siren, which I suspect is impossible if it's armed. Remember it's got it's own power source.

Then insert the blanking plug and see about shifting the semi-dismantled bike and/or hot-wiring it.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 12 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took an alarm off a R1100s a year ago it was a right pain

Alarm was under the seat and the loom had been opened right back to under the eat alarm wires added and re taped up

Just take your time open up as much loom as you need to find the ends of the alarms all black wires and use soldered joins to make good the breaks in the loom
Don't re tape the loom until the bike has been proven to start!!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:45 - 12 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

No factory immobiliser on the R1100S, the alarm does have one integral though.

I assume it's a Spyball Patriot Am 8510 since that's the only spyball one of the era that insurers discount for AFAIK. If that's the case just follow all the wires from the alarm to where they attach in the loom. You'll have power (with a fuse holder), ground, switched live (I think, been 5 years since I removed mine), indicators, aerial and one or two immobiliser circuits. Depending on how it was fitted you might find that they have just popped the insulation and soldered into a loom wire without cutting it. For the immobiliser circuit they would have cut the wire so just re-join like colours.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1