New Biker looking for a decent 125.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:48 - 16 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titot182 wrote:
Oh that reminds me, where can i purchase a bigger powerband for my XR? I happen to have lots of Halfords vouchers lying about! Mr. Green Mr. Green

Think you just answerd your own question there.

by som fockin neions m8 them iz fockin mental!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:13 - 16 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
If it's got Honda stamped on it - it's reliable Thumbs Up

No. Any bike if looked after correctly is reliable. Any bike which is not, will break down and break bits quite regulary. There is no "this bike is made by XYZ so it doesn't need any maintenance" every bike needs looking after otherwise it will die. Some less than others but they do all need some.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 12:37 - 16 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just going back to the height issue.

I'm 6' 3" with long legs, and I look and feel silly on an RS50/125

I've never sat on any of the other bikes in question, but I don't think I could seriously ever ride an RS, even though they are so very sexy.

I'm probably going to end up with a CG just while I learn, my dad being the same height says he's ok on them..

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jalas7
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:51 - 16 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a Hyosung Cruise 2, feels quite big for a 125.

"When the light fades away, there is only darkness."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 16 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XR125 will suit a person with long legs... i just purchased mine today and delivery is due on saturday (will post pics)... It's a CG with off road styling and moderate top speed of 65mph to be realistic... Quite grunty low down mind and a very good learning tool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

malb
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:31 - 17 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobyr depending on how much you want to pay I'd consider a Hyosung Comet GT125. I'm after one, they are one of the nicest looking 125's and they sound good too, as its a 4 stroke V-twin.

But I'm thinking of staying on it for a while, if you just want something to learn on, then do as the others say.. get a cheap CG or something.

Also the Hyosung is a big bike.. seat height is something like 749mm so you won't look like a git. I'm 6.1' and I was comfortable.

As for insurance I got a quote on a provisional license from bennetts for £350. And that was kept outside.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 17 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was liking the look of the comets, but I prefer faired bikes Sad

malb
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:42 - 18 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats fair enough.. the only thing is that faired bikes tend to be expensive to insure.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 18 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus yes, It's going to be a long term bike, but I really can't stand CG's (No offence to any CG owners Razz)

Inno
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:54 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I passed my test and got a CBR600 fx, I was ridind an RS125, deresricted... This thing went like sh1t off of a shovel.

My top speed was about 104mph, it was screaming like a b1tch though !!! Confused

With the speed that 125s can do now a days, full leathers are a good idea.

As for insurance, I was with Norwich union and they insured me without a CBT ( which I told them ), that was cool until i got stopped by the cops for not having L plates......DOH Wink

One thing about the RS and maybe with all small engine race bikes... dont red line them all the while, I shagged the engine on mine and it cost about 600 quid to fix.... Thumbs Up

Inno
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:54 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I passed my test and got a CBR600 fx, I was ridind an RS125, deresricted... This thing went like sh1t off of a shovel.

My top speed was about 104mph, it was screaming like a b1tch though !!! Confused

With the speed that 125s can do now a days, full leathers are a good idea.

As for insurance, I was with Norwich union and they insured me without a CBT ( which I told them ), that was cool until i got stopped by the cops for not having L plates......DOH Wink

One thing about the RS and maybe with all small engine race bikes... dont red line them all the while, I shagged the engine on mine and it cost about 600 quid to fix.... Thumbs Up

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You double posted mate. Razz

Yeah I'm definately going for full leathers, I'm going to get them over a bike if I don't have as much money as I thought because I ride pillion sometimes, and I can always save for a bike, rather than get a bike and no leathers.

Definately having some Sidi Vertebrae 2's though, no matter what. Very Happy

I've pretty much got my heart set on the NSR though, just need to find one in my area that's reasonably cheap, on biketrader they're all like '01 models that cost about 2 grand. I mean, if I have the money I'll probably end up buying one because I'll be using it for over a year so it's pretty important I get a nice one that's been well looked after, will also teach me a lot about looking after bikes in general if I have a long term 2 stroke.

Thanks for the advice guys, You've been really helpful Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2