Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

R6 and other stuff.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought about a V Max. I'll have a look. Shadows are quite expensive used.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shadow might handle a bit better and be a more comfy ride. The V-max is for tuning and looking like a straight line boss at every traffic light, and if you've got a mates rate at your local tyre shop too.

I still have some interest and boxes to tick in big cc bikes but I don't want a 110bhp+ 1000cc+ bike to attempt to handle like a ZXR 400 etc. I wouldn't mind a Kawasaki eliminator 1000 as a future resto project. I think the biggest of Zed's is now out of my price range and so would be a non std re-build.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VMax is too expensive and big. I could pick up a decent VT Shadow for 3.5k or so.

What are peoples view on Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki similar type bikes?

Do I need to change the title of this thread to ex r6 owner now a sad bastard as he is now got a cruiser and wears a gimp suit.

My beards already 1/2" long and my hair is a number 2. Can't wait to buy my leather underwear. RST is best for price and it is British leather.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 13 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lot of thinking, there is really no better bike for the money than the old R6.

She's staying!

Anyone else struggle to slow manoeuvre an R6 or other jumpy sports bike. I've not ridden for a while and tend to do the 50 pence when u-turning now. I've booked myself on a Back to Biking course....I need cones!

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:59 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just picked up a BMW R100RT from 1983 after selling my R6. I'm way smoother and look like a far better rider on the BMW. I was a bit twitchy when slow riding on the R6.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell you what the R6 is a little bugger, hates going slow and you've got to be pretty good at the controls to prevent a U-turn looking like an absurdity. Nightmare when people are watching. I've not ridden for a while and realise that, unlike cars, riding is a perishable skill! Damn I need to get my act together if I want to challenge at the TT.

No fucked liners no knackered second gear, well thrashed and still going strong after all my other bikes have fallen by the wayside. Haha you nae sayers.
https://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/struan80/20170830_114107_zps5kjakspg.jpg

My niece ready for a ride out.
https://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/struan80/40057889_2166275130312091_2147550460511256576_n_zpsn8irxkqp.jpg

Last edited by struan80 on 16:59 - 10 Sep 2018; edited 3 times in total

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well things have taken a turn, I'll need to change the title of the thread to 'Ex R6 and other stuff.'

Put a deposit down on this big lump. Embarassed

https://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/struan80/media_zpsz5igtx0b.jpg

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've had a fall and hit your head?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

Nope I've turned gay, I've come out in style.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Motorised vehicles = Moneypit

So I built this! ha

Yeah that looks cheap as chips.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Is that a moon I see in orbit?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear father I have sinned and I would like to make my confession here and now.

Go ahead old man. (Cnut called me an old man!)

Here goes father. My R6 is up for sale and I've bought a cruiser.

Dear father said to me. Are you fucking serious? There is nothing god allah or whichever god you like can do to redeem you from this sin of all sins. I strongly suggest you use you health cover and seek a psychiatrist as there can be no redemption for that terrible sin.

Me. I don't have health cover.

Dear father. Well get to fuck out of my church then.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be a slightly different riding experience to the mental scream if you wanna go faster Yam. Wink

The neighbour that had an 08 750 Shadow really liked it, and did often commute into the city on it too. I think if it was really shit weather he wouldn't bother though as he'd have had to work overtime to pay for his monthly supplies of Autosol then.

Funny thing thinking about it, as at my end of the street all we've ever had is scooters, cruisers and 125's. At the other end of the street is where the people with proper and serious bikes live RSVR's and D675's mainly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I'm just a slight fellow so hope I can pick it up of the stand. I haven't seen the bike as it's coming from London'ish area.

Glad it's going to be a different riding experience, sport bikes are well made for the track but road riding is not the greatest really....hopefully.

Chrome is an issue I wouldn't have bothered with if I had the money. A new Indian would be in order! Unfortunately I'm going to have to bribe my nephew to get out his toothbrush.

The bike I have loved most is my old Shadow 125, my first bike. Smile

What do you ride Stevo? I promise not to judge you Laughing

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

If you'd done that, you'd have bought a Diavel.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

An all black moody night train shadow would look quite good, but the Japanese like their chrome too much!

Me, I'm currently occasionally riding a 1986 Kawasaki 125 learner legal bike, that anyone with any sense or who doesn't wear a tracksuit would avoid in a heartbeat.

I am thinking of a new bike purchase for next year with double or treble the cc and possibly something much more orange too!

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I am thinking of a new bike purchase for next year with double or treble the cc and possibly something much more orange too!

A KTM, RC or Duke? I have an old friend that has a 390 Duke and he swears by it. Really fun he say's.
After I've dropped the Shadow too many times for my own good it will be sold. My next bike is going to be similar cc to the Duke and small.

You NEED a new bike so go for it, get that spark back. Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right I need a new bike, by bestie since 2008 was a ride on a DRZ 400. Had nothing with over 40bhp for 10years! Shocked

But none of your RC/ Duke proper bike talk. Going orange is just one example of the kind of bike I'd buy new, as I don't want a proper adults real road bike. Im still an immature little kid that wants a Super Retard 250-450cc bike.

Realistically all I'm ever going to do is squirt it down the local back lanes on sunny evenings for an hour and then padlock it back down in my garage after. I just havnt got any real mainstream bike riding interest anymore or feel the need to explore, commute, or tour. A big proper capable bike would probably come out once a year at best if I decided to do something really interesting like tour the Highlands, or France/Spain or a trip to the TT etc.

Enjoy the Shadow, just try not to dazzle anyone on the road except the ladies with all that chrome. Laughing

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Enjoy the Shadow, just try not to dazzle anyone on the road except the ladies with all that chrome. Laughing

Laughing

I'll be beating them of with a shitty stick.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
An all black moody night train shadow would look quite good, but the Japanese like their chrome too much!

They do one in the good ol US of A, it's called the Phantom and it's all satin black with chrome exhausts........looks pretty good.

I'll bite Struan, I like your Shadow, it's well proportioned and I think the saddle bags and sissy bar set it off well.

The Japs have been trying to do cruisers/customs for nearly 40 years and they so often get it completely wrong, that looks like one of the better ones.

Still can't get my head round single front discs on bikes of this size though, they may be up to the job, but for symmetry and ultimate performance reasons, I would rather they put on slightly smaller double discs.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Shadow is definitely one of the best Japanese cruisers and its all the better for having a smaller engine that makes its power further up rev range, and has to be worked harder than a dull lazy engine twice the size.

The brake disc thing, well I think differently. I hate the idea of bikes having twin front discs for looks or symmetry etc. I'd rather have one big disc with a 4/6/8 piston caliper if it was up to the job. Twin discs should only be used when you need more brake than the ultimate single big disc set up can provide.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
struan80 wrote:

If you'd done that, you'd have bought a Diavel.

OMG! Shocked I never realised! I like Diavels!
Outed by BCF Embarassed
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I apologise for my fowl mouthed words that were above before I deleted it. (Really must not type when drunk).

My R6 will be gone early next week, ended up just trading it in. The dealer that I bought the Shadow from they gave me what I think as an acceptable price. No doubt the dealer will sell her at over £2k. Anyway someone will be getting a good old bike.

Looking forward to spamming this page with Shadow shots quite shortly. Smile

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1999 Shadow VT1100T arrived this morning, waved bye bye to the R6 Sad The Shadow is cleaner than I expected, so all good so far.

My full sports leathers, race boots and closed facehelmet are going to look strange to Harley Riders.

https://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/struan80/20180918_121422_zpsxompixs1.jpg
https://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/struan80/20180918_121442_zpsjv0b7oe5.jpg
https://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/struan80/20180918_121432_zpsz2qcca8g.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 4 of 18