Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

R6 and other stuff.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So life brings you many twists and turns along the way, but be assured you will end up with a 13 year old automatic Mondeo and a cruiser if you're lucky.

If not so lucky then you will be dead.

Last edited by struan80 on 18:50 - 10 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:51 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/struan80/jeeshowdidIgetinhere.png

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so easy on the pannier wide Shadow.

I'm going to post a review of the Shadow in comparison with the R6 in a couple of weeks.

A teaser; by fuck is the cruiser slow and why does it feel like you've reached the limiter at about 2000rpm, although you wouldn't know this because there is no freakin Rev counter. To be fair it's a comfy lump of a thing.

https://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/struan80/42508273_2316159528604412_5541977738627252224_n_zpsdk1jieib.jpg

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really liking the heavy weight of the cruiser or the foot position, although I haven't ridden it much. I'll keep it until after next summer

I think I want a CB600f Hornet next. A 'normal' bike, did my DAS on one and loved it.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well went a wee run down to Moffat today, first time down there. Wet cold and happy. Beautiful run, great fried egg roll.

But more importantly I'm getting used to riding the lump of tard, it's actually nice keeping to the speed limit cruising around at low revs. Could almost do it stoned. (Joke)

My mate Craig recently sat his CBT and bought a CB125R, great looking wee bike that is quite large. He picked it up this morning. It's fun watching over excited grownups.

Craig has taken 52 years to grow some balls and do something for himself.

https://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/struan80/48364416_2001779683236458_1851894034365153280_n_zpsooken5zf.jpg

https://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/struan80/47680057_2001779893236437_2902040154149486592_n_zpsdzonzfhl.jpg

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play to Craig! Thumbs Up

I think when you get bored of the daftness of riding a cruiser, that a Honda CB1100RS might suit you better?

Apparently they can be made to go and handle alot better with a few (quite a few) modifications, and you can but a tank and panels conversion to make it look like the original CB750.

Saying that, I've never really rated the looks of the much loved Yamaha MT09 series, but now I've seen Velocity moto's RD900LC conversion I think it looks quite cool in that spec.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much choice. My taste changes from week to week Stevo. I do like the CB1000R, could even be a potential next bike when the prices, second hand, drop significantly.

But at the moment the cruiser on Christmas day, it's minging dirty but I'm not going to clean it until spring Smile

Nephew wishing.
https://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/struan80/48425751_10157075437776474_6783375161509806080_n_zpsxhtuj3ao.jpg

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nephew joins the club of scooter hoodlums, General issue machete has been given.

The Lexmoto Scout's done 2500 miles and was registered on August 2105. It's got a few scratches, no bumps but is not cosmetically the best bike in the world. I can see no evidence of it having been down the road though. The ped was registered in August 2015 so is not greatly old either.

I had a shot and it was displaying and felt like 40 mph, maybe I'm imagining that.

I'm going to rag the shit out it.

https://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/struan80/49468763_10157095495246474_4154821366375251968_n_zpspdlkgq53.jpg

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not take it no longer, how would you say it, the Shadow is utter pish on B roads, in fact on any road. Let's face it it's heavy, slow to many shiny chrome bits and doesn't like doing anything but go in a straight line. Did I mention it only gets 100 miles before you have to fill up

OK, I made a mistake, am 52 and thought a cruiser is what I needed. I was wrong.

I'm going to call the dealer I bought it from and see if he'll give me my R6 back as I see it's still for sale on their site. Probably lose a shitload of money but hey-ho it's typical for me.

WTS Honda Shadow 1100 Tourer cos it's shite.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:43 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you can say you tried something different in the belief at the time that it's what you thought would be ideal for you or your needs. I really don't doubt that cruisers have their place, but as you said they are really about looks from non bikers, style and going at a constant speed in a straight line, much like a freightliner train. Laughing

So your old mistress is still sat in the dealer, and you'll have probably gone back to check several times if your anything like me. Was it comfortable, or well suited for your usage, where you ride or the needs you have of a bike though?

It might be better not to go back, and accept that you need a different bike but the cruiser isn't it?

I started out on trail bikes for road riding, and then went onto sports bikes and nakeds, before coming back to riding trail bikes again. I have to admit that for the limited use I have for a bike, that the riding position of trail bikes and supermotos suits me far better than any sports bike, so much so it's fairly unlikely I'll ever own a sports bike or sports tourer again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a point the Stevo. I might look around a bit and see if I fancy anything other than a sports bike or a cruiser.

The Honda dealer offered me only £2k for the Shadow, I paid $3800 a few months ago Shocked so won't be going there.

The dealer I bought the Shadow from and who still has my old R6 is down South and more reasonable I hope lol

'Want bike throw money away down the effing toilet', this is my motto.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheels are in motion to get my R6 back, depends how much money I lose.

I paid £3800 for the Shadow and received £1400 for the R6.

Now I am trying to get the R6 back if they pay me £1000. They want to pay less than that to the sum of £600

What do you think I should do? I know the R6 is a sorted bike. They have it up for sale at £2400 Shocked

Thanks

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
What do you think I should do?

GSXR

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A predicament eh!

Well if the R6 is still grabbing your heart then bearing in mind there's probably far more R6's around than Shadow 1100's for sale, I'd say to dealer it's £1k or I walk away and buy another R6. If the shadow is as clean as the R6 I can't see any reason they'd not want it back.

Maybe tell them you'll deal for £900 if they throw in a really nice bit of kit like a £400 Helmet or something else that you want and is useful. There's more wiggle room on parts, clothing and accessories than bikes so I'd be expecting them to bend over. (Probably shouldn't say that while we on the subject of cruisers though) Laughing

Oh and if you get your old flame R6 back, you'll know fairly quickly if it's for you or not second time around. If you decide to shift it on, I dare say it's far easier to sell an R6 than a Shadow?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop being so sensible Laughing

I am hoping for £1000 and delivery my way and I'm still losing £1400.

I know that dealers need to make money on their overheads etc but they're maybe trying to screw me

Ditch a girl then realise a few months later after trying a few different girls that the first one was maybe a bit ugly but a great ride. That's where I'm at.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mug it off and get a brash noisy triple instead.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:13 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
they're maybe trying to screw me

There's no maybe about it!! Shocked

You're going to get screwed over to the tune of £1,400 if you sell the Shadow back to the dealer and buy your old R6 from them. That £1,400 goes a long way towards buying something else, especially when they're trying to sell your old R6 for £2,400

It should be very easy to sell the Shadow for more than the dealer have offered you and then if you want another R6, there are millions of them to choose from!! Sure, you know your R6 is was a sorted bike but there's no shortage of ones which are sorted bikes that could even be tidier than your old one.

Take your time and choose something which doesn't involve such a nasty financial hit. Thumbs Up

Yeti
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:42 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Words of wisdom from Ste and there was no Knob cat involved.

This forum must be dying!

I would take that advise though Struan, not worth £1400.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 12:12 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quick look at getting one of these briefly, they are all way overpriced. They have the known liner issue and you can pick up a similar aged (and much more deisrable) R1 for about the same money, a little more. For the R6's I've seen they aren't actually selling either, a lot seem to be sitting in dealers, not many people want an old sporty 600 any more. If you really want the R6 then stick to your amount and be willing to walk away though.

If looking to stick with 600's around that price I'd be looking at Kawa B1H (extra 36cc and radial brakes) or an 04-05 GSXR600 (Radial brakes and just newer better technology bike).

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the comments. I need a slap round the head for thinking about the deal. I'll sell her privately.

Paid £3800 for the behemoth less than three months ago, got it up for sale at £3200 Rolling Eyes

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a j1 zx6r, powder coated frame, wheels in black with orange bodywork, nitron shock that's yours for 1200 notes. It's very tidy but high miles

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's another sportbike he's after tbh. I reckon he's searching for something else and won't fully accept
that until he's selling that R6 on for a second time. I reckon he wants something not quite as laid back as a cruiser but
that isn't something you have to curl into a ball to ride either.

It's like fucking an ex again. There's a reason she's your ex. You're only going back to that R6 because it's familiar.
Fuck that! Onward and upward! Try lots of different stuff first, then choose something. I was dead set on a Street
Triple and was convinced I'd have one of those next. One test ride later I was placing a deposit on the brasher, hairier
chested MT09 because I thought that certainly in comparison to the Street Triple, it was a pretty scary bike. SOLD to
the man with a deathwish. Laughing It's funny what can motivate you to buy a particular motorcycle over another.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to be careful even with test rides though, if you're not rolling in it. You might find you like something enough to go for it, because of novelty value more than anything (hence the cruiser experience?), only to find it isn't a good long term proposition. Depends on just how much money you can throw away, and how often!

If you're having to think carefully about it, I guess you don't have cash coming out of your ears. So sit back for a bit, and analyse what it is that you enjoy most about biking, before you make a decision - R6 to a cruiser is a pretty big jump in terms of something different! Leave a purchase until the point where you're pretty sure what it is you're looking to get from bikes, and what bike will best give you that.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
I know of a j1 zx6r, powder coated frame, wheels in black with orange bodywork, nitron shock that's yours for 1200 notes. It's very tidy but high miles

hmmm. Where is it located? garth?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:15 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
garth wrote:

hmmm. Where is it located? garth?

Southampton.

It's my brother's.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 5 of 18