Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

R6 and other stuff.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
struan80 wrote:

Your slightly bewildered 1000 yard stare suggests this photo was post lager..
..correct?

It was between lagers. £7 a pint for goodness sake.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 08 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't quite get my head round the fact that when a voltage is applied to a circuit electrons travel from negative to positive causing current flow but current flows from positive to negative. Can't visualise it.

Anyway I've enrolled in for an OU course. (STEM degree). Last time I did something like that I caused myself so much stress as didn't really have the time or motivation to do it. Anyway that was a good few years ago. Giving it another go. Or could just be my state of mind at the moment making me do impulse things. Usually my impulse thing is to buy then sell my motorbikes.

I haven't been out on my bikes for ages, I used to go for joy rides in all weather but I just can't get the motivation at the moment which is unusual. Not riding affects my state of mind, I'm sure of it.

My relationship that has lasted more than 2 years now. I remember posting here the time I met her. It was fucked up then as it is now. 2 years not one argument, sounds good, it's not. And is.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:23 - 08 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding. Could be wrong because you usually reach a certain level of understanding that explains what you're seeing then when you move up to the next level of understanding, it's shown to be not the whole story.

Electrons don't actually flow as such. One electron doesn't go round from one end to another, they more kind of sit in a big swirling cloud in the metal and when you apply a potential difference they rearrange themselves so there are more hanging about mostly at one end of the wire than the other.

Electrons carry a negative charge so the end nearest the negative is more negative and the end nearest the positive is more positive so you put the positive end of an ammeter at the positive. We've chosen to call that directionality positive current flow. Older motorbikes are positive earth so you'll get a big shower of sparks if you connect the negative to the frame by accident

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:32 - 08 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathode ray tubes would suggest the electrons do flow....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:23 - 08 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Cathode ray tubes would suggest the electrons do flow....

They ping off the end.

If there are free electrons flying about in a circuit under normal circumstances, you've done something badly wrong.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 08 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up for the great courses on Amazon Prime. Going to work my way through the science and engineering ones. Started on Electrical Engineering for Everyone. Good starter course.

I have an HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from 1991. At that time I wasn't interested in the course just the HNC at the end of it. Things have changed dramatically in that field. It's easy to just google for expalanations of scientific principles. Some I could potentially get my head around. More not. It's just this electron flow/current flow that's bugging me right now lol I remember Flemings laws from from 1991 which kind of explain current flow, but not why there is current flow, still don't get it. Electromagnetic fields and energy. Energy can never be created or destroyed, just transferred was something useful I learned today though

Stinkwheel In my head Laughing Electrons carry negative charge but are attracted to the positive charges (Protons), like a magnet attracts opposites). This happens when an electron escapes one atom and is attracted to the proton on the next atom along that has lost an electron.

Next thing is how a potential difference is created? Electromagnets. What actually is a magnetic field. lol

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 08 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only forum in the universe that I post in. You guys get it all whether you want it or not.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:31 - 09 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

In metal solids, the electrons aren't really bound to the individual atoms, they kind of swarm around. There are the correct number of them but they aren't held tightly and can be knocked around by electromagnetic forces. Which is why metals conduct electricity.

A sharp metal point will have a slight negative charge even without applying a potential difference.

Or such is my level of understanding.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 09 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understanding the Quantum realities of electricity seems like a big ask Shocked

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 09 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW So called 'conventional current' evoked through someones bad guess (might be Fleming again) goes the opposte way to the electrons. Just in case you weren't confused enough. Confused

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 01 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh fucking dear. No the stand wasn't on the grass when I left it. It was windy like I've never seen before. If I'd been sensible I'd have taken the cover off. Worse than it blowing over is that the exhaust is rusty underneath. Laughing

Oh well only a few scratches.

Really enjoying the OU course. Started with chemistry and learning a lot. Last time I did chemistry was in second year at school in 1981.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/yy224/struan80/422311504_321558104213620_4392321896338806177_n.jpg

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 13 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things I need rid of soon

1. CBR400RR-R
2. Girlfriend, 'partner' or whatever it is these days, used to just be girlfriend. Anyway his is the text I sent to initiate the conversation. I like her a lot and genuinly just want her to be happy just basically can't be bothered and genuinly think she's be better off without me I am passed all that relationship stuff and have my dogs

Here it is I feel shit. She doesn't deserve it after over two years of it.

"Why do you still want to stay with me? You know what I am like and that is never really likely to change. I can't believe you couldn't find someone more suited, younger, not an addict. Someone to be intimate with that you can have a future with. I am not a good choice for you. I like you so much and would be happy if you were happy. I understand if you wanted to be 'friends' Oh fuck knows. Just feel bad about the whole thing."

Actually wish I'd never sent that. Just waiting on a phone call, wish me luck

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 13 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Two things I need rid of soon

1. CBR400RR-R
2. Girlfriend, 'partner' or whatever it is these days, used to just be girlfriend. Anyway his is the text I sent to initiate the conversation. I like her a lot and genuinly just want her to be happy just basically can't be bothered and genuinly think she's be better off without me I am passed all that relationship stuff and have my dogs

Here it is I feel shit. She doesn't deserve it after over two years of it.

"Why do you still want to stay with me? You know what I am like and that is never really likely to change. I can't believe you couldn't find someone more suited, younger, not an addict. Someone to be intimate with that you can have a future with. I am not a good choice for you. I like you so much and would be happy if you were happy. I understand if you wanted to be 'friends' Oh fuck knows. Just feel bad about the whole thing."

Actually wish I'd never sent that. Just waiting on a phone call, wish me luck

Hmm, more background needed to formulate a helpful response..

1) How often are you together?
2) has she made noises about commitment?
3) What's her situation regards own kids other dependants etc..
4) Any liklihood you can just drop it down a gear?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 13 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's it done. I haven't cried since about 1972. Never even when my wife died. I care for this lady a lot.

She lives a fair bit away 35 mins in the car. Her son is 15 and causing her all kinds of bother so she won't leave him at the moment, she used to come every weekend. I have a disabled son so I am a bit tied up at home most of the time. Also I am lazy and don't make enough effort.She works all sorts of shifts. Means we have been seeing each other less and less. It's been dropping down a gear for a while really.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 13 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Well that's it done. I haven't cried since about 1972. Never even when my wife died. I care for this lady a lot.

She lives a fair bit away 35 mins in the car. Her son is 15 and causing her all kinds of bother so she won't leave him at the moment, she used to come every weekend. I have a disabled son so I am a bit tied up at home most of the time. Also I am lazy and don't make enough effort.She works all sorts of shifts. Means we have been seeing each other less and less. It's been dropping down a gear for a while really.

FWIW I think you've done the right thing.. Unless she's up for a (very) casual relationship of course.. not that its easy to to tell, since they're often out to change you but won't always make it obvious.

You've let your feelings known it a decent enough way.. probably good to meet now and tie up any loose ends and have another cry.Crying or Very sad

Bottom line is that relationships are a lot of bother, and they have to be worth the bother.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 19 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out I'm devastaed never realised how much I liked her. Gone from 4 video chats a day to nothing. Hard to get used. Turns out I love her but it's all over now. It's for the best and had to happen sometime, she's 20 years younger an has her life in front. Better off without me really. Crying or Very sad

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 21 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Turns out I'm devastaed never realised how much I liked her. Gone from 4 video chats a day to nothing. Hard to get used. Turns out I love her but it's all over now. It's for the best and had to happen sometime, she's 20 years younger an has her life in front. Better off without me really. Crying or Very sad

Mate not sure what to advise here.. 4 chats a a day suggests it was more of a committed relationship than perhaps either of you thought.
Strongly suggest a head to head. 20 years is a fair gap but not impossible so long as you both get out of it what you want.. Thumbs Up

I'll sign off here.. Marge Proops I ain't.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 21 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acht well all good I'm just about over it, was only a matter of time and it's best.

More distressing is that I need to sell my CBR400 RR-R.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 22 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Acht well all good I'm just about over it, was only a matter of time and it's best.

More distressing is that I need to sell my CBR400 RR-R.

Fair play. The womens libbers of the 70s famously said :

'Women need men like fish need bicycles'

I can't help feeling that now I'm in advancing middle age the pendulum has swung the other way.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you spend your benefits on 2g of coke. I get single person's allowance and unable to work allowance. My son get pip and single persons allowince. I am fulltime carer, he's 21. Life is restricted a little bit. He's all buggered up in so many ways.

Life is good until tomorrow

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 31 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

drugs arent the answer fella Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 08 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the 400 up for sale. Lots of messages and most full of shit. Anyway it'll sell soon enough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235511793561

Not been out on a bike for ages. Hopefully the weather will get better so I can do my old man on a sportsbike thing.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:21 - 14 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still running the 250?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 14 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:
Are you still running the 250?

No mate sold that a while ago, stupidly.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:06 - 15 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you get a nice sale here, it looks really clean.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19