Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Some new kit needed, security, luggage, boots, gloves.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mattyfattyboo...
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:20 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Some new kit needed, security, luggage, boots, gloves..... Reply with quote

It's coming up to a year since I started riding now, for the coming season a need some new bits. I'm off on a 4 day tour next month so need to get my arse in gear.

I've got a fairly basic kit from JTS, jacket, trousers, boots, gloves etc. All suppose to be waterproof but after 2 rides they're not anymore. I was tempted to buy new jacket and trousers but I'm on a health kick and dont want to buy stuff for it to me too big for me in 6 months so for now I've bought some waterproof over trousers and jacket. Other stuff I need now though....

Gloves, I have some summer gloves which are alright but not warm enough for cooler weather, understandably. I dont ride in proper -5 degrees so I'm not needing extreme protection but something that'll keep the chill off in 5 degree temps while also leave me with some feeling in my fingers. I've got some triumph gloves my dad gave to me, they're warm but too thick to feel much with them.

Boots, I've been looking at the shorter type of boot like these
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/95911
but are there any drawbacks to them? Seem to be a bit more comfortable, especially to walk in.

Luggage, I'm looking at tail packs, mainly for ease of use, they dont get in the way and they're not mega money. Kriega US20 seems to be the best bet from my quick research, anyone used one or got any other suggestions worth looking at?

Lastly, some security. My bike is a toy more than a tool for commuting, it lives in my garage, I live in a reasonably safe area so if I go to work it's alright in the car park outside reception and if I nip to a shop it's ok for 10 min so up till now I havent bothered with chains, locks etc. That said, with this trip soon and the fact I am quite attached to the bike now it's probably a good idea to get something even if it's just a deterrent. I was looking at this
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/140286

Seems to get reasonable reviews, small enough to chuck under the seat so it's always with the bike and reasonably versatile. The other tow guys on the trip are taking chains so I can just be the link between them but I could set this and throw it under the seat maybe so if anyone tried to move the bikes it'd go off unexpectedly.

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up [/code][/url]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:54 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Some new kit needed, security, luggage, boots, gloves... Reply with quote

mattyfattyboomboom wrote:
or 10 min so up till now I havent bothered with chains, locks etc. That said, with this trip soon and the fact I am quite attached to the bike now it's probably a good idea to get something even if it's just a deterrent. I was looking at this
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/140286



Meh, 6mm pin is really wimpy, no double locking so a good shove with a screw driver could crack it off.

I'd rather have this one https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/140224

14mm pin, and double locks.

Supposed it all depends if you just want a deterrent, or a long term security solution..

If someone really wants your bike, they will nick it...
____________________
A2 Passed 18/6/10
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:20 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Some new kit needed, security, luggage, boots, gloves... Reply with quote

mattyfattyboomboom wrote:
Kriega US20 seems to be the best bet from my quick research, anyone used one or got any other suggestions worth looking at?
Just got one last week; not amazingly cheap but very good kit.

Couple of posts I did about it here showing fitting etc.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4084597#4084597
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4085570#4085570

Run a quote on www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk and you'll get a 15% getgeared voucher; then buy through quidco and you can get it down to about £50.

https://www.getgeared.co.uk/Kriega_US20_Motorcycle_DryBag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Datatool Devil 1000 Disc Lock can be had on ebay for £14, with the reminder cable. They are (apparently) Thatcham approved.

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EhvnDKiAL._SY300_.jpg

Kriega - I got a US30 this week ready for France later in the year, and also because -Matt- got one and I want to be like him Wink Excellent bit of kit and would recommend. Glad I went for the 30 though, think the 20 may have been too small for me.

EDIT - boots. I have some short boots like that. They are great but if the legs of your denims get blown up you get cold legs.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Datatool Devil 1000 Disc Lock can be had on ebay for £14, with the reminder cable. They are (apparently) Thatcham approved.

Ah, Thatcham.

That's the one where the internals can be removed by prising the end cap off the barrel with a screwdriver in a few seconds.

Certainly looks the part though.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:26 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatcham is very effective..

At being a town in Berkshire, at least. Smile
____________________
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
You're in ISIS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:43 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Datatool Devil 1000 Disc Lock can be had on ebay for £14, with the reminder cable. They are (apparently) Thatcham approved.

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EhvnDKiAL._SY300_.jpg



You mean this one? https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=300132

Rolling Eyes
____________________
A2 Passed 18/6/10
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:25 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the one Thumbs Up

For £14 it will act as a decent initial visual deterrent to the 'Chav in a van' if nothing else. Better something than nothing just to put them off and slow them down.

Amazes me how many people don't bother. I parked in a multi-storey in Peterborough this morning (I still feel dirty). 2 peds, one of those little Harley things and an ER6 with not a single security device on them. I locked the Pan to the provided rail and walked off wondering how many bikes get lifted in the area.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:37 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still rate these squire ML2L disk locks..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squire-Motorcycle-Disc-Lock-ML2L-/291390125231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43d83474af

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAz/z/i2gAAOSwBahU65sv/$_57.JPG

I've got 3 of them now, bought one initially, then Halfords of all places had a sale on them for £10 last year so bought 2 more.

Nice chunky bit of kit, hefty key, think the U bar is about 14mm thick with a rubber coating over it.
____________________
A2 Passed 18/6/10
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 202 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.14 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 66.06 Kb