Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1st service MT125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chris Yamaha
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:59 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: 1st service MT125 Reply with quote

My machine is going in for it's first service next week. I have already reported that the gearbox does not always kick down to neutral and first every time. They tell me that they will test drive it to see if there is an issue. What do I do if they say there is not? I am certain there is an issue.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe just wait and see what they say first at the service? Can you arrange take a similar bike out when they do the service on yours to compare?

I thought my bike was a bit too rattly at low revs so pre-arranged to take a similar demo bike out when mine went in for first 500 mile service. The demo bike was not anywhere near as bad as mine and seemed a lot smoother so I mentioned it to the service, the tech took mine for a run and said nothing wrong with it just a new bike.

Maybe just placebo but now after another 1500 miles and a darned good spanking or two, my bike seems to run better, still sounds like a sewing maching with stock exhaust at low revs when it's stood beside anything other than a sewing maching. Need new exhaust really but I like the look of the OEM.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Maybe just placebo but now after another 1500 miles and a darned good spanking or two, my bike seems to run better, still sounds like a sewing maching with stock exhaust at low revs when it's stood beside anything other than a sewing maching. Need new exhaust really but I like the look of the OEM.

New engines need mileage on them to loosen up. Brand new engines can sound tinny at first, but after use they promote a nicer sound.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bigger front sprocket put on my bike during my first service realised a little while latter that the original one had been kept by the dealer (like I had to ask for my own property back) never mentioned it since as for me they cost less than a tenner, something more expensive however and I'd be phoning them straight away.

In summary - be aware of what work dealerships do on your bike during a service and what parts they replace, think about it.. if you where working on your bike yourself, you'd have everything.. why should it be any different especially when you pay high prices for services to maintain warranty anyway.

(I don't own a Yamaha so unaware what they're mechanics are like, take the above with a pinch of salt.. something I wish I would have realised at the very start).

Also.. never be afraid to put your foot down and tell the dealership about the issues your encountering try if you can to talk to the mechanics yourself (probably harder done at Yamaha than the small shop I use) and tell them in detail about your problems.

From watching MotoGP and IOM TT videos I learnt that a good rider can feel and describe what's wrong with the machine in a heartbeat and then mechanics make the appropriate adjustments, just because you ride out on roads as opposed to a racetrack doesn't make it any different, knowing your bike inside and out will enable you to prevent any unnecessary costs occurring during a service in the future as well as what can be fixed by say a clutch adjustment for example.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:14 - 08 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect they'll say "They all do that" and/or "It'll get better as it's run in". Either or both of which may actually be true.

It might just need a touch of slack taken out of the clutch cable, which is a check item on the 600 mile service. Download from:

https://yamahamt125forum.com/mt-125-technical-forums/yamaha-mt-125-2014-user-manual/

The most important thing is that the oil and oil filter are replaced. You have an internal filter behind the round cover just in front of your oil filler cap. Get a felt tip pen and draw a mark on all 3 bolts and the casing to be sure that they've at least gone to the bother of turning them.

The new oil should be a clean syrup colour.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1