Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First bike questions - Honda CBR125R

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

whatusername
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:54 - 06 Apr 2015    Post subject: First bike questions - Honda CBR125R Reply with quote

Hi there I'm a new rider and considering getting a Honda CBR125R ( https://bikes.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/125cc/cbr125r-2013/overview.html )
I just had a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with

1) I'm 5'7 and 16 stone, will there be any height/weight issues?
2) Is there an owners manual anywhere online that I can read for this bike?
3) I might be moving house in a few months and would have to travel about 200 miles in one go, would this bike handle that or would I need to get someone to transport it for me?
4) Are there any most recommended insurers for bikes?
5) Are there any modifications that would be recommended? Nothing major, mostly just crash bungs or new tires if they seem to be needed

Thanks for any help in advance.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 06 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

They appear quite a diddy bike (I was sat behind one over Easter at some point) so your height should be ok. Your weight is going to be a hindrance to any 125 , without being rude, but it's not that excessive, tbh.

Try sitting on one in a showroom. Unless you have ridiculously long legs for your height, I think you'd fit ok.

Google should find you a manual.

Your arse will give out before the bike does on a 200mile trip.

Use lots of comparison sites. There seem to be no fixed rules on insurance.

I wouldn't spend money modifying a 125, tbh. Put your cash towards taking a full test in the future.

All that said, there are better ways to spend your cash with regards to a 125 but it's your money and hopefully you'll get the best out of it and enjoy biking. Welcome to the club. Thumbs Up

finchy95
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:12 - 06 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a new CBR125R and its a cracking little bike. I'm about 5'10" and 10 stone but I have a friend about your build and his pulls him around just fine. They are tiny little bikes (especially the older shape ones) as said, don't waste money on mods. It's a commuter bike not a racer. Sure I'd love an aftermarket exhaust and some bits and bobs but I'd love an A2 licence more. Go sit on one, see if you can test ride it hopefully you'll love it and buy one. If not then try a different bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

finchy95
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:17 - 06 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also just as a personal suggestion don't get a repsol one. Orange wheels are the bane of my fucking life. Brick Wall
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 06 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit taller than you, same weight though, I've been commuting on a borrowed cbr125 for the last week or so as my diversion 900 is off the road.

In all honestly it's not too bad on town roads, if you red line it in every gear you'll get up to 40mph in not too many seconds, I've not quite touched 80 on the speedo yet despite trying pretty damn hard too, it'll do 75 though on a flat road tucked properly in with the wind behind you, or 50 with a strong headwind.

Biker_Abi
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:37 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: Re: First bike questions - Honda CBR125R Reply with quote

whatusername wrote:
Hi there I'm a new rider and considering getting a Honda CBR125R ( https://bikes.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/125cc/cbr125r-2013/overview.html )
I just had a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with

1) I'm 5'7 and 16 stone, will there be any height/weight issues?
2) Is there an owners manual anywhere online that I can read for this bike?
3) I might be moving house in a few months and would have to travel about 200 miles in one go, would this bike handle that or would I need to get someone to transport it for me?
4) Are there any most recommended insurers for bikes?
5) Are there any modifications that would be recommended? Nothing major, mostly just crash bungs or new tires if they seem to be needed

Thanks for any help in advance.

1.) I'm 16 stone. Never had a problem on my 125 when I had one. At 5'7 you should be ok, but I suggest going to sit on one first.

2.) you probably could find a manual online, check mr google. The bike should come with an owners basic manual if you get one. Or you could buy a Haynes if you really looking at mechanics.

3.) 200 miles is nothing. Most 125's will just go and go. As someone said above, your ass will ache more before anything else.

4.) The cheapest! If your a first time rider etc, go compare some and go with the cheapest with the best cover. (Half of them are underwritten by each other)

5.) crash bungs are helpful if your starting out. I dropped my 125 several times so I would certainly suggest these. Everything else is opinion. Luggage bits if you need, exhaust etc if you fancy. all your own opinion.

Enjoy...

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 08 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
forget the cbr 125, its a budget commuter bike with fairings. its slow, boring & very overrated.
its made in thailand where even the thais wont touch it & would laugh at anyone who would..
a guy your size? actually any size : if you don t want a 2 stroke get a honda varadero, theres a reason they keep their value.
a big bike feel, excellent build quality (unlike the cbr) excellent if over engineered engine but bullet proof.
theres guys in here with varaderos that have done 70000miles. never seen a cbr do half that.
of course they are expensive, but if you buy a decent 2nd hand example & dont crash it, you can sell it for pretty near what you paid for it.
cheers,
GAZ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1