Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Full A License

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

SectorC
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:50 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: Full A License Reply with quote

In time for the sun it seems!

Just passed my Mod2 and will be shortly joining those of you in Sheffield, on my blue little number, soon. Waiting on my bike to get it's gearbox checked (on dealer warranty) but hopefully sorted before the end of the week before the sunshine leaves us.

Now the learning begins for real I suppose!

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - hope the bike gets sorted quickly so you can enjoy the sun Thumbs Up

Dean084
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Should be doing my mid 2 in the next couple of weeks. Can I ask how many hours you had learning for mod 2 and do you have any tips for passing?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean084 wrote:
do you have any tips for passing?

Mirror, signal, lifesaver.
Your instructor should take you on the possible test routes just before the test so just wash, rinse and repeat. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, it's a good feeling.

Some things I've learned since passing test recently that I wasn't taught.

Biking is great fun with no miserable instructior/examinor shouting in your ear!

If you weigh 10 stone like me don't park your bike somewhere where you need to then go and lie down for half an hour through exhaustion after getting it back out from where you've parked it Bloody bikes are heavy!

You'll be continuously planning your next bike.

Don't need clutch for upshift (I do use clutch between 1st and second only).

I am a far better/safer car driver since taking up biking. Although have turned into a grumbling sod when sitting beside anyone in the car now Smile

You can goggle at girls a lot easier and carefree with a helmet on.

Dean084
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on struan80,,,, you don't use the clutch when going up gears? Forgive my newbie naivety but is that not bad for the bike? Or is it because of the wet clutch?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert mate and know next to nothing about bikes, but being an engineer can see reason so after a bit of research, realisation that it's easy on mechanicals and also that I can be even lazier than normal I started doing it. It's a lot easier to be smoother, especially notable with a pillion on the back.

I get the impression from reading about it that it's more common to do clutchless than to actually use the clutch amongst most riders?

Edit: Just a slight bit of weight on the shifter then blip the throttle, slips right in there very quickly, easlily and smooth.

SectorC
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:45 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean084 wrote:
Well done! Can I ask how many hours you had learning for mod 2 and do you have any tips for passing?

I think total from nothing whatsoever (except time on pushbikes) to full license was 8 days total (CBT, 3 days on a 125, 2 days on 650 for Mod1, another 2 for Mod2). The days were maybe like 9 until 3pm or something.

Tips wise, I got all my minors for being too close to some curbs on turns left off roundabouts etc... Basically was taking lane discipline and position (very left when turning left) a little overboard and was getting too close. Things that are only done because I've a guy behind me watching closely!

So middle of the lane at all times really on roundabouts and turning off main roads into smaller roads with plenty of clutch control to be smooth if it's a tight side road.

My mate picked up 2 minors for following a lorry moving like 10mph too close, and then not overtaking it. If you're a car driver then just take it casual, brake for roundabouts etc earlier than seems normal (in a car) so you've plenty of time to get gears setup etc and look nice and smooth for the chap behind you. Also we had a lot of stupid roundabouts with zebra crossings on every exit so you had to be super weary!

I had a point on the test where I thought people would move so I was in second gear but they stopped so I stopped in second. They moved straight off and I took a second to calmly swap feet and knock it into first gear before moving off and they're happy enough with that, so long as you don't try move off in second and stall. This is getting pretty long winded but really just think 'super-calm' and ride like that with plenty of time slowing down before junctions etc.

Final thing is roundabouts - Any big crazy 3 lane roundabouts or something, make sure you've seen them and know the lane markings because if you cross a lane into another lane that's bad news. You want to get into whatever lane is right and follow it all the way around.

SectorC
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:47 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Just a slight bit of weight on the shifter then blip the throttle, slips right in there very quickly, easlily and smooth.

Huh... Well I'd not have guessed that, and probably not going to give that a go since the bike I've got has just had to have it's gearbox looked at for slipping from second into first Razz (Although clearly no idea what caused it)

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean084 wrote:
Well done! Should be doing my mid 2 in the next couple of weeks. Can I ask how many hours you had learning for mod 2 and do you have any tips for passing?

Probably about 24 hours in total over two weeks for MOD 2. Quite intense with ex army instructor, but fun and without training would have gotten myslef world of hurt by now.

Tips for passing:

If you make a mistake try and forget it quickly and just carry on.
Do get your speed up to the limit where it's safe to do so.
Don't dither too much at giveways or roundabouts.
Remember and fasten you helmet before leaving the test centre! Smile

Good luck Smile

darkhorizon
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:13 - 08 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on the pass. Just in time for the summer!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1