Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


A few firsts for me.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:23 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: A few firsts for me. Reply with quote

Yesterday, while getting the 32K service on my bike, I was given a 2014 CB650F (Honda's Hornet replacement) as a loaner. It was my first experience of an in-line four -- very revvy, very smooth. I did several errands, so had a good couple of hours on it. I liked it! Although after years on the NC (rev limiter at 6.5K), it would probably take me some weeks to stop short-shifting. Rolling Eyes

Emboldened for more new experiences, today I tried a litre bike for the first time: I took a Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport out for a couple of hours. I was on my tippy toes (the seat is 830mm) and had never been on a triple before, but it was surprisingly easy to ride. I could handle the high seat and weight better than I thought, since I could easily flat-foot it with only one foot down. I did some A roads, motorways and filtering in the city. The only dicy bit was backing it into my drive -- paddling backwards on tippy toes. Shocked

Neither bike was exactly what I'm looking for. The CB650F would make a great commuter -- very small and narrow -- but no better than my current bike at touring. The Triumph would be great at both, but my wife didn't like it (I was backing into my drive to show her). The pillion seat is very high and as hard as a plank of wood. She also wasn't as thrilled with the high exhaust as I was...

Now that I'm on a roll, what other kinds of bikes should I try? All of the big bikes I've tried (on DAS, etc.) have been very similar -- parallel twins, mostly. I've done in-line four, triple, and litre+. Maybe I should tackle a pan euro or an R1...
____________________
Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

100cc v twin

Fireblade

Hayabusa.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike that's really caught my eye as a bit of an all rounder is the BMW F800S, the old belt drive one though rather than the new (and clearly inferior) chain drive version. It's on my to test list.

Also the k1300r, but I think it's a bit ott for most uses.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BMW F800 GT (BMW's current iteration with a belt drive) and Honda's VFR 800F are on my wish list, but they are both very pricey. At least £7-8,000, because they've only been out for a couple of years. I'm also looking at the F800ST (also pricey) and older VFRs, including the 1200 with the shaft drive. I like the new Yamahas (MT09, Tracer) too, but I'm trying to avoid buying brand new.

I've been looking for the perfect combination of commuter and tourer. I don't have a garage or room for two, so need a model that can do 80% commuting and 20% two-up touring with luggage. I haven't stumbled upon one yet, or at least when I have cash in hand. I was expecting to buy a recent-vintage pre-reg GT this spring, but an unexpected £3,000 expense scuppered that. Maybe in the autumn or next spring. I'm enjoying shopping for now.
____________________
Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that you can walk into a showroom and take one for a test ride, but a 2 stroke: RD400/350LC/350YPVS/750H2/RG500/RD500LC etc. Such a shame that many will never get the chance, a biking experience worth having.

For me, Street Triple and Tuono are top of the list. Street Triple will happen!
____________________
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:31 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a go on a ducati diavel. I had a test drive at the NEC bike show and it rode quite well. I felt comfortable on it pretty quickly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jaco
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 01 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.themotorreport.com.au/content/image/1/7/17908_honda_monkey_2_thumb-4b77ab922de79-mc:819x819.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeybiker wrote:
Have a go on a ducati diavel. I had a test drive at the NEC bike show and it rode quite well. I felt comfortable on it pretty quickly.


Where could you park it though, and not worry if it'll be there when you return?
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:11 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
monkeybiker wrote:
Have a go on a ducati diavel. I had a test drive at the NEC bike show and it rode quite well. I felt comfortable on it pretty quickly.


Where could you park it though, and not worry if it'll be there when you return?


I don't know, I don't own one Eh?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new CB650F is a parallel twin im afraid Rolling Eyes Thumbs Down
____________________
Yamaha MT-09 - Triple powerrrr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Carvel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

As dull as a parallel twin.

But it's a four Thumbs Up
____________________
2002 Aprilia RSV1000R, Cbr600Fs, Mk1 B12, Vfr400 NC30...

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:27 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to like the NC, so at a guess you enjoy the dullness of the biking world.

I would suggest trying a new CB500X.

In all honesty, just try some better bikes, the 2 you tried are relatively gash. Try a street triple, you won't like it, its too frisky and likes to be spanked to the red line.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:34 - 12 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermoto_Fan wrote:
The new CB650F is a parallel twin im afraid Rolling Eyes Thumbs Down
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:21 - 12 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sincerest apologies for my mistake Laughing

But, on a serious note. Try an 09. Or even a tracer, but you could be tight and buy a secondhand 09 and stick a massive top box and tall screen on it.

Its a very different animal to an NC but it's capable
____________________
Yamaha MT-09 - Triple powerrrr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Monty-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:14 - 12 Apr 2015    Post subject: Re: A few firsts for me. Reply with quote

esullivan wrote:
Maybe I should tackle a pan euro


I've just recently acquired an 1100 Pan Euro and ridden it over 1,500 miles up to Scotland and back in 6 days. Others will likely disagree, but I find it a good all rounder. Touring is where it's at it's best, but I use mine for commuting and town riding too. It handles surprisingly well for such a big bike and is capable of getting a move on when you want it to. Tank range is brilliant; I rode from Lancaster to Dorset on one tank of fuel (300 miles) and there was still around 4 litres left in there when I filled up. I imagine the low revving engine will make you feel a little more at home with you being used to the NC.

I don't know what the prices for the ST1300s are like, but £2k should get you a decent condition 1100 with non-intergalactic mileage on it
Thumbs Up
____________________
Present: [Kawasaki ZX7r][Suzuki DRZ 400s]
Past: [Honda PCX 125] [Yamaha RXS 100] [Honda CB 500] [Triumph Speed Four] [Honda ST1100 Pan European - Po-Po Edition]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 12 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
You seem to like the NC, so at a guess you enjoy the dullness of the biking world.

I would suggest trying a new CB500X.

In all honesty, just try some better bikes, the 2 you tried are relatively gash. Try a street triple, you won't like it, its too frisky and likes to be spanked to the red line.


Sad Well, to be fair to me, I've never claimed the NC was an exciting bike. I've claimed it was an extremely practical and very economical means of conveyance from A to B, as long as your A and/or B is in Central London or some similar metropolis. It's also very easy to ride, so it was a good first big bike.

The CB500X is what I normally get as a loaner (either that or another NC). It's the same power, just several notches up the rev dial. I want one that will stretch me a bit and have room to grow into.

I knew that the CB650F was looked down upon by the willy wavers, but the Tiger? I thought that was a well regarded bike.
____________________
Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 12 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tracer is cheaper and arguably better, unless you want the offroad style XC tiger which i think is over £10K all kitted up Shocked

I would definately consider a triple, wont be the same as your half a honda jazz engine but wont be as strange to you as a IL4...
____________________
Yamaha MT-09 - Triple powerrrr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:36 - 12 Apr 2015    Post subject: Re: A few firsts for me. Reply with quote

-Monty- wrote:
I've just recently acquired an 1100 Pan Euro and ridden it over 1,500 miles up to Scotland and back in 6 days. Others will likely disagree, but I find it a good all rounder. Touring is where it's at it's best, but I use mine for commuting and town riding too. It handles surprisingly well for such a big bike and is capable of getting a move on when you want it to. Tank range is brilliant; I rode from Lancaster to Dorset on one tank of fuel (300 miles) and there was still around 4 litres left in there when I filled up. I imagine the low revving engine will make you feel a little more at home with you being used to the NC.

I don't know what the prices for the ST1300s are like, but £2k should get you a decent condition 1100 with non-intergalactic mileage on it
Thumbs Up


I've been seriously considering a pan euro, but I thought it was out of my league, experience-wise. I see a lot of pan euros commuting in London. The width doesn't seem to hinder them much, but what does is the mirror placement -- the newer models have mirrors right at car level. My mirrors are at van and lorry level, so they only stop me when going between two, close vans or buses.

I will try one now, though. I've proven to myself that I can handle a higher seat and more weight than I expected. The pan only has the second issue (weight), so should seem easy in comparison.
____________________
Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 12 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your route. You'll have a hard time filtering one on a gridlocked A4 through Chiswick but on the A2 or A13 it'd be a breeze.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:55 - 12 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Depends on your route. You'll have a hard time filtering one on a gridlocked A4 through Chiswick but on the A2 or A13 it'd be a breeze.


I do either the A4 or, more usually, the A40. It's pretty tight in a few places, like through Acton, and the very, very narrow NC does well. If I had room for two bikes, I would definitely consider getting a Pan for the weekends. I'm nearly always two-up on Saturday and Sundays. Then I'd get something like a Hornet or Street Triple for the commute.
____________________
Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Monty-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 12 Apr 2015    Post subject: Re: A few firsts for me. Reply with quote

esullivan wrote:

I've been seriously considering a pan euro, but I thought it was out of my league, experience-wise. I see a lot of pan euros commuting in London. The width doesn't seem to hinder them much, but what does is the mirror placement -- the newer models have mirrors right at car level. My mirrors are at van and lorry level, so they only stop me when going between two, close vans or buses.


Yes, the mirrors do somewhat prevent extreme filtering, which you may find frustrating at times if you're riding through London traffic on a regular basis. I did actually see a 1300 today and had a quick nosy around it. To me the fairings actually looked a little slimmer than mine, although the mirrors looked much the same.
____________________
Present: [Kawasaki ZX7r][Suzuki DRZ 400s]
Past: [Honda PCX 125] [Yamaha RXS 100] [Honda CB 500] [Triumph Speed Four] [Honda ST1100 Pan European - Po-Po Edition]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jerry B
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 27 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 12 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Not that you can walk into a showroom and take one for a test ride, but a 2 stroke: RD400/350LC/350YPVS/750H2/RG500/RD500LC etc. Such a shame that many will never get the chance, a biking experience worth having.

For me, Street Triple and Tuono are top of the list. Street Triple will happen!


I did love my strokers back in the day and the RD400 was so much fun. The other thing with such bikes from back then was that you knew when you were going fast.
____________________
Regards, Jerry BB
81 z650F2, 82 GS650GLZ, 90 Revere 600K
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

haroman666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 12 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following my recent crash I had an NC750X as a loan bike and it was fecking awful.

It's awful for filtering due to the bars being wide and the same height as all car/van/lorry mirrors. And being as loud as a baby's fart meant no-one knew I existed until the pulled out on me.

The most excitement I got out of it was giving it full throttle in wet mud from stand still.

It didn't wheelie... Clutch just slipped.

The only redeeming factor was that it ran on fresh air. Was easy on the wallet for the time that I had it!

But yeah... I don't mean to slag your bike off. I was happy I had a bike to ride!

I would recommend, based on my own experience, IL4's like CBR6's or just any sports 600. Or maybe a 400. My Bandit 400 was a right hoot!

And a big V-twin. It's a scary ass feeling giving half throttle in 1st gear and the headlight ends up pointing towards the sky!
____________________
The mistresses: 2000 Honda CBR600f, 2000 Honda VTR1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:20 - 13 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

esullivan wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
You seem to like the NC, so at a guess you enjoy the dullness of the biking world.

I would suggest trying a new CB500X.

In all honesty, just try some better bikes, the 2 you tried are relatively gash. Try a street triple, you won't like it, its too frisky and likes to be spanked to the red line.


Sad Well, to be fair to me, I've never claimed the NC was an exciting bike. I've claimed it was an extremely practical and very economical means of conveyance from A to B, as long as your A and/or B is in Central London or some similar metropolis. It's also very easy to ride, so it was a good first big bike.

The CB500X is what I normally get as a loaner (either that or another NC). It's the same power, just several notches up the rev dial. I want one that will stretch me a bit and have room to grow into.

I knew that the CB650F was looked down upon by the willy wavers, but the Tiger? I thought that was a well regarded bike.


The Tiger 1050 is OK but it's the longest in the tooth of the Tiger models. The Tiger sport was brought out IMO to keep the model going a short while longer.

The Tiger you should have tried, the one that gets the accolades is the Tiger 800.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 174 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.89 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 131.14 Kb