|
|
| Author |
Message |
| esullivan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 esullivan Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 06 Mar 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:23 - 11 Apr 2015 Post subject: A few firsts for me. |
 |
|
Yesterday, while getting the 32K service on my bike, I was given a 2014 CB650F (Honda's Hornet replacement) as a loaner. It was my first experience of an in-line four -- very revvy, very smooth. I did several errands, so had a good couple of hours on it. I liked it! Although after years on the NC (rev limiter at 6.5K), it would probably take me some weeks to stop short-shifting.
Emboldened for more new experiences, today I tried a litre bike for the first time: I took a Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport out for a couple of hours. I was on my tippy toes (the seat is 830mm) and had never been on a triple before, but it was surprisingly easy to ride. I could handle the high seat and weight better than I thought, since I could easily flat-foot it with only one foot down. I did some A roads, motorways and filtering in the city. The only dicy bit was backing it into my drive -- paddling backwards on tippy toes.
Neither bike was exactly what I'm looking for. The CB650F would make a great commuter -- very small and narrow -- but no better than my current bike at touring. The Triumph would be great at both, but my wife didn't like it (I was backing into my drive to show her). The pillion seat is very high and as hard as a plank of wood. She also wasn't as thrilled with the high exhaust as I was...
Now that I'm on a roll, what other kinds of bikes should I try? All of the big bikes I've tried (on DAS, etc.) have been very similar -- parallel twins, mostly. I've done in-line four, triple, and litre+. Maybe I should tackle a pan euro or an R1... ____________________ Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fisty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fisty Super Spammer

Joined: 11 Apr 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c_dug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c_dug Super Spammer

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| esullivan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 esullivan Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 06 Mar 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:21 - 11 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
The BMW F800 GT (BMW's current iteration with a belt drive) and Honda's VFR 800F are on my wish list, but they are both very pricey. At least £7-8,000, because they've only been out for a couple of years. I'm also looking at the F800ST (also pricey) and older VFRs, including the 1200 with the shaft drive. I like the new Yamahas (MT09, Tracer) too, but I'm trying to avoid buying brand new.
I've been looking for the perfect combination of commuter and tourer. I don't have a garage or room for two, so need a model that can do 80% commuting and 20% two-up touring with luggage. I haven't stumbled upon one yet, or at least when I have cash in hand. I was expecting to buy a recent-vintage pre-reg GT this spring, but an unexpected £3,000 expense scuppered that. Maybe in the autumn or next spring. I'm enjoying shopping for now. ____________________ Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chickenstrip |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chickenstrip Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Dec 2013 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:24 - 11 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Not that you can walk into a showroom and take one for a test ride, but a 2 stroke: RD400/350LC/350YPVS/750H2/RG500/RD500LC etc. Such a shame that many will never get the chance, a biking experience worth having.
For me, Street Triple and Tuono are top of the list. Street Triple will happen! ____________________ Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| monkeybiker |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 monkeybiker World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Sep 2014 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jaco |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jaco Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 01 Apr 2014 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:10 - 11 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| monkeybiker |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 monkeybiker World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Sep 2014 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Supermoto_Fan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Supermoto_Fan World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Jun 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:04 - 11 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
The new CB650F is a parallel twin im afraid  ____________________ Yamaha MT-09 - Triple powerrrr |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Carvel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Carvel World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:14 - 11 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
As dull as a parallel twin.
But it's a four  ____________________ 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R, Cbr600Fs, Mk1 B12, Vfr400 NC30...
Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| monkeybiker |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 monkeybiker World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Sep 2014 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Supermoto_Fan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Supermoto_Fan World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Jun 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:21 - 12 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
My sincerest apologies for my mistake
But, on a serious note. Try an 09. Or even a tracer, but you could be tight and buy a secondhand 09 and stick a massive top box and tall screen on it.
Its a very different animal to an NC but it's capable ____________________ Yamaha MT-09 - Triple powerrrr |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| -Monty- |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 -Monty- World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Apr 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| esullivan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 esullivan Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 06 Mar 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:26 - 12 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Paddy. wrote: | You seem to like the NC, so at a guess you enjoy the dullness of the biking world.
I would suggest trying a new CB500X.
In all honesty, just try some better bikes, the 2 you tried are relatively gash. Try a street triple, you won't like it, its too frisky and likes to be spanked to the red line. |
Well, to be fair to me, I've never claimed the NC was an exciting bike. I've claimed it was an extremely practical and very economical means of conveyance from A to B, as long as your A and/or B is in Central London or some similar metropolis. It's also very easy to ride, so it was a good first big bike.
The CB500X is what I normally get as a loaner (either that or another NC). It's the same power, just several notches up the rev dial. I want one that will stretch me a bit and have room to grow into.
I knew that the CB650F was looked down upon by the willy wavers, but the Tiger? I thought that was a well regarded bike. ____________________ Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Supermoto_Fan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Supermoto_Fan World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Jun 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:30 - 12 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
The tracer is cheaper and arguably better, unless you want the offroad style XC tiger which i think is over £10K all kitted up
I would definately consider a triple, wont be the same as your half a honda jazz engine but wont be as strange to you as a IL4... ____________________ Yamaha MT-09 - Triple powerrrr |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| esullivan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 esullivan Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 06 Mar 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:36 - 12 Apr 2015 Post subject: Re: A few firsts for me. |
 |
|
| -Monty- wrote: | I've just recently acquired an 1100 Pan Euro and ridden it over 1,500 miles up to Scotland and back in 6 days. Others will likely disagree, but I find it a good all rounder. Touring is where it's at it's best, but I use mine for commuting and town riding too. It handles surprisingly well for such a big bike and is capable of getting a move on when you want it to. Tank range is brilliant; I rode from Lancaster to Dorset on one tank of fuel (300 miles) and there was still around 4 litres left in there when I filled up. I imagine the low revving engine will make you feel a little more at home with you being used to the NC.
I don't know what the prices for the ST1300s are like, but £2k should get you a decent condition 1100 with non-intergalactic mileage on it
 |
I've been seriously considering a pan euro, but I thought it was out of my league, experience-wise. I see a lot of pan euros commuting in London. The width doesn't seem to hinder them much, but what does is the mirror placement -- the newer models have mirrors right at car level. My mirrors are at van and lorry level, so they only stop me when going between two, close vans or buses.
I will try one now, though. I've proven to myself that I can handle a higher seat and more weight than I expected. The pan only has the second issue (weight), so should seem easy in comparison. ____________________ Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:48 - 12 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Depends on your route. You'll have a hard time filtering one on a gridlocked A4 through Chiswick but on the A2 or A13 it'd be a breeze. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| esullivan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 esullivan Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 06 Mar 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| -Monty- |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 -Monty- World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Apr 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jerry B |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jerry B Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 27 Mar 2015 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| haroman666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 haroman666 World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Sep 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Polarbear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Polarbear Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:20 - 13 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| esullivan wrote: | | Paddy. wrote: | You seem to like the NC, so at a guess you enjoy the dullness of the biking world.
I would suggest trying a new CB500X.
In all honesty, just try some better bikes, the 2 you tried are relatively gash. Try a street triple, you won't like it, its too frisky and likes to be spanked to the red line. |
Well, to be fair to me, I've never claimed the NC was an exciting bike. I've claimed it was an extremely practical and very economical means of conveyance from A to B, as long as your A and/or B is in Central London or some similar metropolis. It's also very easy to ride, so it was a good first big bike.
The CB500X is what I normally get as a loaner (either that or another NC). It's the same power, just several notches up the rev dial. I want one that will stretch me a bit and have room to grow into.
I knew that the CB650F was looked down upon by the willy wavers, but the Tiger? I thought that was a well regarded bike. |
The Tiger 1050 is OK but it's the longest in the tooth of the Tiger models. The Tiger sport was brought out IMO to keep the model going a short while longer.
The Tiger you should have tried, the one that gets the accolades is the Tiger 800. ____________________ Victory Cross Country American tractor. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 11 years, 174 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|