Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

More and more boat migrants

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 205, 206, 207  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 15 May 2015    Post subject: More and more boat migrants Reply with quote

I don't know who is old enough to remember the Vietnamese boat people after the Vietnam war? They were essentially the South Vietnamese who were being persecuted for being American 'allies'.

When I was on a ship running from Borneo to Japan we stopped and picked up about 50 people from a sinking boat who had left Vietnam a couple of weeks before. They were in a terrible mess and we did the best we could to help them with the meager medicines we had on board.

We got to Okinawa and were told not to dock but to anchor out in the bay and await instructions. It took another 2 weeks before any country said they would take the refugees and we could off load them. The shipping company I worked for then was not impressed at the hold up to the ship and basically insinuated that if the Captain picked up any more migrants he would be looking elsewhere for a ship.

I'm retelling this story because it seems that the present crisis is going to result in a lot more migrant deaths around the world than happened then because, as before, no one wants them in their country.

We have Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand refusing point blank to take any boat migrants in their part of the world. On the news last night there was a boat that had been at sea for 2 months, out of food and water and engine failing. The next bad storm that will be gone.

Australia sticks them on some deserted island.

In Europe we are picking them up but I'm convinced that's only because the news hounds are out and the governments can't be seen to be ignoring it. Cameron has sent a naval ship but said we won't accept refugees. He and others want to sink all the refugee's/traffickers boats so they can't get to sea at all. Perhaps that is the only way to stop it?

Another big problem is a lot of the ones coming to Europe are not refugees, but economic migrants trying to get in illegally.

I don't know what is the answer to this is, No country is going to have an open doors policy so many many of these boat people are destined to die and the world will just keep looking on and making sad noises.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 15 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame UKIP

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 15 May 2015    Post subject: Re: More and more boat migrants Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Another big problem is a lot of the ones coming to Europe are not refugees, but economic migrants trying to get in illegally.

Supposedly the pay traffickers 1000's for a space on the run. When you can get a flight to mainland europe for a few hundred quid and then claim asylum through the proper channels at the euro airport....

I mean it's not like the boatists would be trying to avoid immigration control would they? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:31 - 15 May 2015    Post subject: Re: More and more boat migrants Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
He and others want to sink all the refugee's/traffickers boats so they can't get to sea at all.

Approved.

Stop bawwwing about international law and just do it.

Should be easy enough, we've got pretty good at bombing unarmed civilians.

If you really, really must, throw some lilos and inflatable ducks and such in the water afterwards.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 15 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the logic in refusing entry. If we the worlds civilised countries roll out the red carpet,
then more and more will attempt the journey, and there's way more of them than us... Any way you look at it,
that's not good for anyone. If they are real economic migrants, with useful skills and the means to
support themselves, then they wouldn't be trying to get in via the back door would they? I also don't doubt
for a second that they want to eventually end up here in soft touch Britain. However they probably
have no idea that there's been a recent change of political climate here and it's one that's unlikely to see
them welcomed them with open arms. If they had any idea what an oppressive police state we now live in
(or so some would have you believe Rolling Eyes ) then they'd probably realise they are better off in Somalia.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 15 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sink the boats! Med war now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:18 - 15 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no need to send warships to sink the boats as the inflatable boats are pretty good at sinking themselves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32593187
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32723573

What to do? If the EU 'accept' the illegally trafficked migrants then that's going to make more business for the traffickers. That's not to say that writing 'return to sender' on their foreheads and then putting them in the nearest post box is the answer because the traffickers will just other ways.

We shouldn't leave the (sinking) boats drifting at sea and so letting all the migrants die. The EU has to do something.

I wonder how long it will be until Tony Blair offers his consultation services to the African countries that the migrants originate from. Rolling Eyes

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 15 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/0M4IKmvSfhU?t=88

Sorted.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:50 - 15 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
We shouldn't leave the (sinking) boats drifting at sea and so letting all the migrants die.

I don't follow you.

Oh, unless you mean we should sink them.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 15 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/battlefield/images/3/35/Fairchild-a10-thunderbolt2-warthog.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100401212828

Maybe they could 'drift' into pic related?

USAF wants to scrap them Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad, there's no AA threat and they are cheap as chips to operate with excellent loiter time. Buy up all them scrappie destined A-10's and give them a new lease of life as the guardians of civilised shores....

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 15 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a related side note, why is it that black people often aren't very good at swimming? Genuine question.
Name me a famous black swimmer? Exactly.
I googled the question, and I'm clearly not the first to wonder this.
If I were black, the last place you'd catch me is on an open boat in the ocean.
https://www.swimmingwithoutstress.co.uk/swimming-blog/black-men-cant-swim
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 15 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very sneaky, sir.

https://newshour-tc.pbs.org/newshour/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/DIY-Submarine-1024x675.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:21 - 15 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
why is it that black people often aren't very good at swimming?

Great runners though. Ever seen someone swim away from a burglary?

https://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/family-guy/thumb/9/9f/BRIANMAD.jpg/228px-BRIANMAD.jpg

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 15 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
grr666 wrote:
why is it that black people often aren't very good at swimming?

Great runners though. Ever seen someone swim away from a burglary?

https://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/family-guy/thumb/9/9f/BRIANMAD.jpg/228px-BRIANMAD.jpg

'I'm sorry man, thats not who I am, we cool ? We cool ?'

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 16 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit retarded if they think saving all the refugees will stop the tide of them, what they need to do is drop them back off onto the shore they came from. That is the only way they are going to sort this out.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 16 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I quite like the idea of reducing the boat to component parts so as to inhibit their use but who can tell the difference between a genuine fishing dhow and a traffickers one before they are filled with people.

Or do we destroy every boat on the north African coast. Thumbs Up
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 16 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them food water and tow them back to there coastline, job done.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 16 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Just a related side note, why is it that black people often aren't very good at swimming? Genuine question.

You reminded me of this story:

https://abcnews.go.com/WN/teens-drown-wading-louisianas-red-river/story?id=11312631

"None of us could swim," she said. "They were yelling, 'Help me, help me. Somebody please help me.' It was nothing I could do but watch them drown, one by one."

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:21 - 16 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I must admit I quite like the idea of reducing the boat to component parts so as to inhibit their use but who can tell the difference between a genuine fishing dhow and a traffickers one before they are filled with people.

We're already rescuing boatloads of scroungers; the question is what to do with the boats afterwards.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 17 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of annoys me how people make a beeline for Europe instead of trying to help get their own country fixed.

But then again at the same time there are countless Brits jumping ship and leaving the UK because they also want what they believe to be a better life, instead of trying to fix their own country.

I guess everyone is in the same boat.

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:48 - 17 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

I hate swimming, not very good at it, so would prefer to not have to try. Going through basic training we had swim sessions, all the non/weak swimmers had to sit out. There was me, a white guy, partial shit swimmer/mostly lazy and there was every other black guy in the entire troop sat beside me.

I'm a pretty good dancer though, so maybe I had some sort of racial stereotype skill swapped when I was young.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 205, 206, 207  Next
Page 1 of 207