Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

More and more boat migrants

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 183, 184, 185 ... 205, 206, 207  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:39 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The council house my dad bought in Catford wasn't on a council estate either. That was in the 90s

Culverley Road if you want to have a look on street view.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it Laughing

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/nobby_shouse.jpg

As I said I know the area, know people that lived there and have never heard of any local authority housing. It's kind of irrelevant anyway if a property went for 20k less than it should have in the 90's, when you're looking at a 400+ grand increase in 20 odd years (which was the point).

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:23 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/img-20220706-wa0006.jpg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above my point is unless your dad got a discount in the hundreds of thousands (half a mil' based on what the house would be worth now? Shocked), house prices have gone completely mental in the capital.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:26 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right to buy purchasers got a discount based on how much rent they'd paid. As he had been paying Lewisham council rent since.1980 he got massive discount.

There was a restriction of 5.years.before he could.sell it which ties in with the second Time that property was sold.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Right to buy purchasers got a discount based on how much rent they'd paid. As he had been paying Lewisham council rent since.1980 he got massive discount.

I'm familiar with how RTB works. I don't know why we're labouring this point, RTB isn't the reason for the massive jump you see in house price records. Eg: I know someone who on a nicer street in the same area, bought their house on the open market in the mid-90's for 90k... it's now worth over 600k.

https://pearsonblog.campaignserver.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/1.-House-prices-in-UK-nations-1-600x450.png

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
There was a restriction of 5.years.before he could.sell it which ties in with the second Time that property was sold.

A lot of people did the same thing, IMO it's the biggest handout in the history of handouts, I know the response is oh but they paid rent all those years but so does anyone in rental accommodation.

Until Thatcher that was the norm, and I think we'd be in a much better situation now if there was still the same availiability of affordable housing... In 1979, 42% of Britons lived in council homes. Today that figure is just under 8%.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:02 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't thatcher as such, it was the world bank. One of the terms of the bail out at the end of the 70s was that we get rid of a load of the housing owned by the nation rather than individuals.

Right to buy was just the way the Thatcher government managed this process.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:09 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
it was the world bank.

Was it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:14 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMF

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:26 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
IMF

Indeed.

But I cannot recall ever seeing any evidence that the IMF specifically mandated a drop in national housing levels.

Would be genuinely interested in a source for the claim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
IMF

Indeed.

But I cannot recall ever seeing any evidence that the IMF specifically mandated a drop in national housing levels.

Would be genuinely interested in a source for the claim.

As would I. Quick google and I found this: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cabinetpapers/themes/sterling-devalued-imf-loan.htm (bottom half) Although I'd query that with regards to social housing, as I imagine most houses sold would be the cheap 'normal' housing, leaving sink estates which have always been a money pit and have less working tenants. As a way to generate a bit of revenue I get it:

'1.5 million council houses were sold by 1990, by 1995 it was 2.1 million and as a result of the Right to Buy the Treasury received £28 billion.'

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 12 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now Mo has outed himself as being trafficked as a kid I can only assume he'll be deported Sad It's the twisted logic this country runs on: boot out ppl who've been here ages and actually contributed to society in favour of chancers in dinghies who we'll never get rid of.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:16 - 12 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noting that no-one has mentioned Sir Mo, I mean, hussein.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 12 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never as good after his coach got banned for drugs, although admittedly Farah was knocking on by then so maybe that was it.

Also drugs are so prevalent you need to take ‘em just to level the playing field.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:49 - 12 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, he admits his name isn't mo and he was human trafficked at 9 and was a victim of slavery when he got here and what you took away from it is his coach was peddling drugs so slag him off despite the many drug tests he took as a world level athlete?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 12 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:24 - 12 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tries to respond but I'm just bewildered.
He was a slave at 9 years old in our country. You have no response to that bit? It's been illegal for about 300 years.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 12 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d made no comment on that part of his story.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 12 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are we expected to believe any part of a liars tale?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 12 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't going to deport him, Home Office official told BBC News it would not take action over Sir Mo's nationality, as it is assumed children are not complicit when their citizenship is gained by deception.

I would presume some of the family he was trafficked to are still alive. I wonder if they will be investigated?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:54 - 13 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
They aren't going to deport him, Home Office official told BBC News it would not take action over Sir Mo's nationality, as it is assumed children are not complicit when their citizenship is gained by deception.

This. I don't know it could be genuine, as in something he's grappled with for years and wants to 'come clean' about. Or maybe it's to show look what this illegal achieved, in the context of record channel crossings, deportations etc., and the only two benefits they seem to be able to find to immigration; sporting success* and a wider range of restaurants. Why now would be my main question.

*some of the time anyway...
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=105727

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:15 - 13 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I've tries to respond but I'm just bewildered.
He was a slave at 9 years old in our country. You have no response to that bit? It's been illegal for about 300 years.

And slavery still exists in this country now, but it's mainly happening to white people, so it doesn't really matter Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 13 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I don't know it could be genuine, as in something he's grappled with for years and wants to 'come clean' about. Or maybe it's to show look what this illegal achieved, in the context of record channel crossings, deportations etc.

Yep, he’s probably genuine but the story is timely for some.
BBC wrote:
Sir Mo Farah has said he is relieved that the Home Office will not take action against him after he revealed he was trafficked into the UK.

Gotta keep Rwanda off the leader board at the next Olympics. Wink

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:05 - 13 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Yep, he’s probably genuine

Stretchy definition of 'genuine' required, I suspect.

There's loads to this to unpack but the things that stand out to me are, broadly, in two categories:

1) Despite the fact he was a victim of child trafficking and modern day slavery, from an impoverished country, once he's in school in the UK he's nurtured and supported into one of the greatest athletes of his time, and loved by the public / recognised by a title as a result. Not bad for a supposedly racist and horrible country full of gammon folk, eh? Much like Sir Lewis Hamilton - the two of them are absolute examples of rising to the top and showing the oppression narrative as not fitting the reality.

2) The subterfuge he's undertaken seems to stretch the course of his adulthood, whereas the reports seem to want to pin it all back to his childhood. He's lied repeatedly as an adult man - including but not limited to the story he has told of himself in his autobiography. On top of that, I seem to recall him decrying racist cops at airports for stopping him 'cos he's Somali'. Well, it turns out that he was travelling on a passport with a false name, obtained under false pretences Laughing

With so many versions of himself doing the rounds now, I'm not inclined to call him 'genuine' and I have no reason to believe this story any more than the previous lines trotted out.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
BBC wrote:
Sir Mo Farah has said he is relieved that the Home Office will not take action against him after he revealed he was trafficked into the UK.

Gotta keep Rwanda off the leader board at the next Olympics. Wink

Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 13 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Why now would be my main question.

Probably someone in the MSM figured it out and said "we'll release the details next week" and Mo just wanted to get ahead of the story.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 183, 184, 185 ... 205, 206, 207  Next
Page 184 of 207