87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
After the BBQ - Roughly 10th-14th of August
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 16 May 2015    Post subject: Ireland Trip 3rd-7th Aug - All Welcome - Ending at BCF BBQ Reply with quote

Hotel information is in a later post on page 1 - CLICK HERE

You will need to be available from Monday 3rd to Friday 7th of August assuming your weekends either side (if needed to reach holyhead/bcf bbq) are already free

Decided to do this instead of organising another Wales trip this year. It will be directly before the BCF BBQ and the route back (for the people going to the BBQ at least) will take us through Snowdonia again anyway, so it seemed like a better option. We should arrive at the BBQ late on Friday 7th. If people aren't planning on going they can go straight home from Holyhead or leave us during the day somewhere else in Wales.

If people want to come and go along the way, or change their route during the trip thats fine, otherwise you're welcome to follow along the route i'm doing. If you're interested can you post or PM me so I can get an idea of numbers. I'll try arrange who is interested in sharing rooms etc to cut costs where possible - i'm using travel lodges, but if people want to use other accommodation or camp and meet up locally each morning thats fine.

Mileage/fuel costs won't be too extreme, but some of the days I have planned are between 4-6 hours riding so it might not suit everyone. We will be aiming to set off about 9am at the latest each day, so the majority of the trip should be riding in daylight hours.

I'm planning to arrive the day before the ferry in Holyhead and stay at the nearby travel lodge (Sunday 2nd of August) - if people want to set off early AM they could go straight to the ferry however.

The ferry can be booked at www.directferries.co.uk
https://i61.tinypic.com/j6tyea.jpg

Select the following return booking circled in red - if for any reason this is booked up people could also use the one below it.
[img]https://i62.tinypic.com/5me1dw.jpg[/img

Day 1 - Monday 3rd August
-Leave Holyhead travel lodge
-Ferry from Holyhead to Dublin; leaving at 08.55 - arriving at 12.10
-Ride to Dublin Castle - short stop/look
-Ride half an hour - park at and visit Guiness storehouse - 16 euros
-Ride 10 minutes and visit Kilmainham Gaol - 7 euros
-Ride to Phoenix Park/Cleopatras Needle - short stop/look
https://i60.tinypic.com/wwkaxh.jpg

-Ride to Wicklow Montains National Park and onto Cork
https://i61.tinypic.com/iegem8.jpg

-Ride to Rock of Cashel - short stop/look
-Ride to Cahir Castle - short stop/look
-Ride to Cork
-Stay in travel lodge/BnB in Cork (Blarney castle on the map is located virtually in Cork - we will visit the castle the following morning now)
https://i61.tinypic.com/2rmntsn.jpg

Day 2 - Tuesday 4th August
This is going to be the longest day - 6 hours riding and probably about 9 hours from start to finish including time off the bikes I expect. If this is a bit much there are much shorter direct routes form Cork to Galway if people want to skip some of this.

-Leave Cork
-Ride to and visit Blarney Castle - 13 euros
-Ride to Killarney and down through Killarney National Park
-Ride to Ross Castle - Short/stop look
https://i59.tinypic.com/23wjzuf.jpg

-Ride to Limerick (not planning to stop here unless people want to)
-Ride to Bunratty Castle - Short stop/look
-Ride to and visit Cliffs of Moher
-Ride to and stay in travel lodge/BnB in Galway
https://i57.tinypic.com/11i1kjl.jpg

Day 3 - Wednesday 5th August
-Leave Galway
-Ride to Donegal Castle - Short stop/look
-Ride to Londonderry
-Visit Tower Museum - 4 euros
-Spend rest of the day walking/riding around mural sites
-Stay in travel lodge/BnB in Londonderry
https://i58.tinypic.com/29ookfp.jpg

Day 4 - Thursday 6th August
-Leave Londonderry
-Ride to Port Rush - Ride around the NW200 circuit
-Ride to Giants Causeway
-Ride to Carrick-a-Rede
-Ride through Belfast and to the Ulster Grand Prix to watch the Dundrod 150 road race. We have tickets in the Leathemstown Grandstand - Available for £10 here https://ulstergrandprix.net/dont-miss-moment-book-grandstand-seats-now/
-Ride to Dublin
-Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead; leaving 20.40 - arriving 00.20
-Stay in Holyhead travel lodge
https://i61.tinypic.com/2e5qvyq.jpg

Day 5 - Friday 7th August
Me and -Monty- are going to Go Below Underground Adventure on this day.

Its an hour from Holyhead and we need to be there by about 10AM. It takes most of the day so we won't end up arriving at the BBQ until late Friday night.

Anyone else is free to make their way to the BCF BBQ via Snowdonia National Park, or go home in their own time, or ride around in North Wales and meet us when we finish to ride to the BBQ.
https://i60.tinypic.com/kap6xh.jpg

Last edited by -Matt- on 22:50 - 04 Aug 2015; edited 38 times in total

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 16 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be up for this 10-14th would be the potentially possible date, however would have to check with work first.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 16 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, you are a genius! Lovin' your work Sir.

Never been to Ireland, the route looks great. AND fitting in some cool stuff through Wales, brilliant!

But surely this has to be done BEFORE the BBQ. I can't help but think avin' it large in a field with bunch of folk off their tits on shrooms and beans is not really conducive to safe riding and long days in the saddle. Not to mention the short term memory issues.

Arriving at the BBQ afterwards would be a cool way to wind down and allow the adventure to sink in a bit.

Forgive me, I've had a bit of wine so may be talking rubbish. Mr. Green

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:29 - 16 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping I can get some flexibility to decide on the week depending on what dates people generally prefer, but i'm not certain yet.

Should hopefully be enough time for people to plan and book things well in advance if they need to anyway. I was intending to do this next year but it won't be possible to fit it in anymore so i'll have to go when I can really.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 16 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may sail from Liverpool/Birkenhead instead of Holyhead and meet you in Ireland but, I'll look into the pros and cons a little more over the next few days Thinking

Route looks a good 'un Thumbs Up One question though, for anyone that knows. How safe is it around parts of Northern Ireland these days? Neutral

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:07 - 16 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
How safe is it around parts of Northern Ireland these days? Neutral
As safe as visiting a lot of London and other cities here now days to be honest.

We aren't clashing with any of the main parade season dates and even then its not generally dangerous unless you specifically go into the marching areas and happen to get caught up in general disorder, which isn't that common now days anyway.

General crime wise; its no different to much of the UK - some of the mural areas i'm interested in visiting aren't the 'best parts of town', but especially in a group I wouldn't be concerned personally Thumbs Up

Dave70 wrote:
I may sail from Liverpool/Birkenhead instead of Holyhead and meet you in Ireland but, I'll look into the pros and cons a little more over the next few days Thinking
Forgot to mention this; that would be fine too if anyone does prefer doing that. If you and anyone else goes from other ports it won't be too difficult to meet up in Dublin Thumbs Up

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:26 - 16 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^I figured that I was probably worrying about nothing much tbh but, I've never been to Ireland before. Just seen stuff on TV over the years and one of my ex girlfriends was from Northern Ireland and her and her family were a right mad/psychotic bunch to say the least, so it's left an impression. Laughing

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 16 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed the dates now, no other options i'm afraid Thumbs Down hopefully its suitable for as many people as possible.

Also updated and finished the day-plan and added ferry booking info. Need to add accomodation links; but i'm all booked with two others now so we're definitely going.

My accommodation is all in travel lodges. Will add info/costs/links for the bookings tomorrow hopefully. If anyone else is booking at the travel lodges; can you please select three people staying per room just in case anyone has problems with their bookings, it doesn't affect the room cost Thumbs Up

Last edited by -Matt- on 09:54 - 17 May 2015; edited 1 time in total

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 17 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a look at the crossing from Liverpool, if anyone else was considering sailing from there.

It appears that only night sailings are available for departure. So, to get to Dublin on Monday would involve leaving Sunday Night and it's more expensive too as on the outgoing ferry you have to book a cabin, there's no option not to on the website.

https://i.imgur.com/7O6lwl3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SUSTU7V.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZWJWGXh.jpg

So basically, the Holyhead sailing is the best option all round.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 17 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone in Scotland whos interested, it might also be possible to do a crossing from Cairnryan to Belfast/Larne, or from Troon to Larne if it works out better than riding all the way to Holyhead - Not sure how the times will work out though and you would have to make your way down to Dublin alone which will be 2-3 hours riding, so it might not work out that much quicker overall depending where you're coming from.

Travel lodge bookings are as follows - this is the cost per room for 1 person. Each room can fit three people which doesn't change the price, so sharing and splitting the cost will significantly lower it.

There are a couple of slightly cheaper options on some nights using BnB's but most had last check in times of 7-8pm which especially for the Cork-Galway day will be pushing it I think.

Currently me, -Monty- and Dave70 are sharing one room; 3 people sharing works out at £78 each for the whole week.

Theres 5-6 other people who are interested so far, but need to confirm stuff before they can commit to anything so I should hopefully be able to arrange another room or two at least for those who do want to share Thumbs Up

www.travelodge.co.uk
https://i62.tinypic.com/5afigi.jpg

Last edited by -Matt- on 00:49 - 18 May 2015; edited 4 times in total

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 17 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoke with Matt, so will be sharing the room with him and Monty by the looks of things. Just need to book the ferry now Thumbs Up

I'll be riding down from around the Merseyside area if anyone up North wants to meet up and ride down to Holyhead, as I'm jibbing my original idea of sailing from Liverpool now, after looking at the extra cost, time and length of sailing.

Looking forward to this now, should be fun. Very Happy

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 31 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to throw in a few more stops at various castles and other sites along the original route. Can't be bothered to update all the maps again but they're listed in the text if anyone wants to check them out Thumbs Up

DOS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 31 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could post on https://www.biker.ie.

Just don't post online where you are staying and what bikes you have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferry now (finally) booked Thumbs Up

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Monty- wrote:
Ferry now (finally) booked Thumbs Up

How's the ferry looking for availability? I'm presuming the website indicates this like the Manx ferry does.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
How's the ferry looking for availability? I'm presuming the website indicates this like the Manx ferry does.
Don't recall it showing anything when I booked it, but I may of missed it.

For the people who i've spoke to via PM; one or two of you might want to look at booking at least some of the travel lodges soon if you're not camping. Some of them are going to sell out quite soon I expect.

Last edited by -Matt- on 19:57 - 14 Jun 2015; edited 1 time in total

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:

Actually, I couldn't see anything about availability on there.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Monty- wrote:
Dave70 wrote:

Actually, I couldn't see anything about availability on there.

Come to think of it, I think the Manx ferry only shows availability if you want to book a seat in one of the lounges.

Cheers anyway.

I will be booking the ferry very soon. I was intending to have booked it by now but, this house keeps eating my money. Neutral

Will have it booked in a week or two at the latest. Thumbs Up

St3
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:10 - 30 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to put the cat among the pigeons in regards your plans but, you know the ulster grand prix is the 3rd-8th of august?
Seems a bit silly riding up to derry to ride around an empty road circuit when you could go to belfast and watch an actual road race.
The main event is on the 8th, so you'll not be seeing that, but the Dundrod 150 is on the 6th.
Something to think about maybe.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:04 - 30 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for mentioning that St3. I'm not sure how considering how much other stuff I was checking dates-wise, but I somehow missed this was even going on when we are passing through the area on the last day Laughing

We aren't actually going upto Derry and the nearby area for the NW200 circuit specifically, it just happened to be along the route we're already taking so I figured we might as well have a quick ride around the circuit, but if we can leave earlier than we planned that morning it might well be possible for us to make it down and watch some of the Dunrod 150 too which would be really good Thumbs Up Seems theres still plenty of grandstand tickets available too.

Thanks Karma

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:08 - 30 Jun 2015    Post subject: Re: Ireland Trip 3rd-7th Aug - All Welcome - Ending at BCF B Reply with quote

I hope you enjoy the trip.

There are a few toll roads on your route. Tolls for bikes are just €1, but it can
be a real PITA to find a coin when you are geared up. I use double sided tape to stick a couple of €1 coins on the top yoke.

Tolls at: M7 near Portlaoise, M8 in Co Cork. M1 Belfast to Dublin and the tunnel
under the Shannon river at Limerick. I usually skip this one because it is easy to
get through Limerick on the bike.

Rates for crime, voilent crime and homicide are low by international
standards. There is a particular problem with bike theft in some of the
cities and larger towns.

I did a circuit of Ireland in the opposite direction just last weekend.
Cork, Dublin, Belfast and around the North Antrim coast to Donegal,
Sligo, Galway, Limerick and back to Cork.

The coast road from Ballycastle to Belfast via Cushendall
and Larne is more interesting than the route through Ballymena.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 30 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful posts St3 and Confusion Thumbs Up

Ya can't beat a bit of road racing, will be sure to look into it. Very Happy

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 30 Jun 2015    Post subject: Re: Ireland Trip 3rd-7th Aug - All Welcome - Ending at BCF B Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
Useful stuff
Thanks for the info Karma
Quote:
The coast road from Ballycastle to Belfast via Cushendall
and Larne is more interesting than the route through Ballymena.
Might have a look at doing that route instead. It only adds about half an hour it seems and we're planning to try set off earlier on the 6th now to get down to the Dundrod anyway Thumbs Up

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 30 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got tickets for the Leathemstown Grandstand ordered now to watch the Dundrod 150 on the Thursday Thumbs Up.

Not sure how many hours we'll manage to squeeze in but we should get to see a reasonable amount of it hopefully.

St3
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 04 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
Got tickets for the Leathemstown Grandstand ordered now to watch the Dundrod 150 on the Thursday Thumbs Up.

Not sure how many hours we'll manage to squeeze in but we should get to see a reasonable amount of it hopefully.

good choice. it's a good spot. There's a lidl right nearby and plenty of parking.
I'll probably be further up the road, trackside at dears leap.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 270 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> UK National All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3