 spuggyleeds L Plate Warrior
Joined: 28 May 2015 Karma : 
|
 Posted: 13:45 - 28 May 2015 Post subject: Disc Lock for KSR Moto Code X 125 |
 |
|
Hi,
I have my CBT booked for 7 June 2015 and have bought the above bike. I've read reviews and it comes out well! It's just for commuting to work and back to save me some money on train fares really and have a little fun at the same time.
My problem is, I want to buy a disc lock but am not sure which one will fit through the disc as it seems to be a funny shape on the bike. Do I go for a 6mm, 8mm, etc or will anyone work as there are slits rather than holes on the disc? Apologies if someone has covered this, but I can't find much about these bikes (or the Generic original names) anywhere.
Oh and am loving this forum - there's some knowledgable people here  |
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:16 - 28 May 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Measure the gap in the slot & buy one that has a smaller pin diameter, if you have t get one; but before you do.....
Disc locks are useful, BUT.. they just stop the wheel gong around if some-one tries to wheel the bike away, and on a lightweight bike, it wont stop them from lifting it away and most aren't all that 'tough' anyway. They are, for the most part just a bit of added help to the steering lock.
If you are parking the bike in the same location, unattended for long periods (while you are at work, or at home) day in day out; some-one who is determined to have it will..
A disc-lock will only deter the casual opportunist tea-leaf; but, more determined twocker will just lift the thing round the corner and tackle it in thier own time.. a couple of minutes.
If you want to give them a harder time (which is all you can do really) you need to chain the thing down to something hard and immovable.
At home; thats a sturdy (£50sh) chain & padlock and something like a ground-anchor cemented into the floor.
Heavy, cumbersome and often inconvenient to carry when out and about; a heavy chain can be little ore use than a disc-lock if you don't have anything to chain to where you park, or worse, you DO but the heavy chain isn't long enough to reach it!
Before disc-locks; circa May 1991.. I know well, I put the first dedicated disc-lock on the UK market! We used to use large shackle pad-locks through the disc, if we had them (not all bikes did back then!) or the rear sprocket; You don't HAVE to have a 'dedicated' discie!
Anyway; my preferred 'portable' security is an 8mm steel security cable; many poo-poo cables as being cuttable with a pair of scissors.. which 'some' may be; the ones flogged in the cheap shops for push-bikes; but thicker ones, 8mm ish do need something more than a big pair of pliers to get through; and if some-one coming for your bike is 'tooled up' then they are going to have it;, really. And a cable has advantage its pretty easy to carry, and you can 'lassoo' the ends to extend reach to tie the bike down to some-thing immovable; so the casual wont be able to wheel-away; use a half decent pad-lock on the end; and you can, as in days of old, possibly get that around the disc, as well as through eyes of cable (which is what I do), and for the price of a relatively 'cheap' disc-lock, stepped your security level up a fair few notches, without sacrificing convenience or portability very much.
I no longer sell disc-locks, so I have no vested interest telling you how 'great' they are But even when I did, I cautioned that they weren't a total security solution; just one added precaution.
So get something more heavy duty for over-night / home use; HD chain & lock and a ground anchor; and consider the cable option for 'out and about'. ____________________ My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?' |
|
 nowhere.elysium The Pork Lord

Joined: 02 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
|
 Northern Monkey World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Nov 2013 Karma :   
|
|