 Josh Traffic Copper

Joined: 21 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:13 - 08 Aug 2004 Post subject: API rating of oil? |
 |
|
How.... important is it.
The stuff I have at the moment says "exceeds API SG" but the bikes manual recommends "SE/SF" (I think) although the bike is 10 years old, I was just wondering if I should find some that fits the SE/SF recommendation or if I could use the one I have at the moment, that fits the 4 Stroke/10W-40 motorcycle oil recommendations but not the S* one...?
Any advice/general info on the API ratings? ____________________ 04 Suzuki GSX-R 600 K4 - Sex on wheels :>
https://img58.imageshack.us/img58/6178/sig6dc.gif |
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:59 - 08 Aug 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
SG superceeded SF oil, and neither are that current.
The only thing you really probably should avoid is the latest rating. These now have a limit on the amount of some additive in them. This additive gives a good level of protection to the engine but also damages catalytic converters. As your bike doesn't have a cat then you are gaining nothing from this rating but you would be loosing a tiny amount of engine protection.
As a crude listing:-
SL ? Current ? For all automotive engines presently in use.
SJ ? Current ? For 2001 and older automotive engines.
SH ? Obsolete ? For 1996 and older engines.
SG ? Obsolete ? For 1993 and older engines.
SF ? Obsolete ? For 1988 and older engines.
SE ? Obsolete ? For 1979 and older engines.
SD ? Obsolete ? For 1971 and older engines.
SC ? Obsolete ? For 1967 and older engines.
SB ? Obsolete ? For older engines.
SA ? Obsolete ? For older engines.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|