Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Sprocket and speedo trouble!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

FuzzyBallz
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 May 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 05 Jun 2015    Post subject: Sprocket and speedo trouble! Reply with quote

The original gearing on my bike is 14/40 but when I bought it the sprockets have been changed to 13/43, which I don't mind because it makes it more punchy, but I'm aware of my speedo being way out!

Is there any website I can put my altered ratio in and it will tell me, when you are going 30mph, your speedo will read "blah blah"

I can then learn the speeds I need to get my speedometer up to to travel at 20,30,40,50,60 and 70, without risk of people being up my hoop because I think I'm going fast enough when I'm not, and so I don't just guess it and get a speeding ticket.

I did go on www.gearingcommander.com but it was all a bit confusing tbh and I am still non the wiser.

Thanks.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...



Joined: 27 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:55 - 06 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's applicable...

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 06 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: your speedo reads (14/40) / (13/43) of stock reading. That works out to 1.15769, or almost 16% over.

Multiply your target speed by 1.16, and you'll get the speedo reading. 30mph => 35, 40 => 46, 50 => 58, 60 => 70, 70 => 81.

The stock ratio will have overestimated speed though.
____________________
Bikes: S1000R, SH350; Exes: Vity 125, PS125, YBR125, ER6f, VFR800, Brutale 920, CB600F, SH300x4
Best road ever ridden: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MhNxUEYtQ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:17 - 06 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike you got? If the speedo is gear driven from the front wheel then changing sprocket size should make no difference. BTW as Vincent says use a sat nav for to test. My bike is only doing 65 when sat nav says 70 mph and my car is about the same. Good thing about that is i do 80 odd mph through the speed cameras on the motorway and feel a rebel where in reality i am only doing 74/5 mph. Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FuzzyBallz
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 May 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 06 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks Barrkel you have just made my life alot easier Very Happy

I knew 35 on my speedo would be 30ish as my mate followed me in his car and when my speedo said 30 he said I was doing 26, so the rest of the speeds all sound about right! I'll have to revise them Laughing

I was looking at the speedo healer but the cheapest I could find it for was £80 on ebay and I don't really want to spend out that much, I'm happy with speedo being out aslong as I know how much faster i should go to do the actual speed limit.

A Satnav is a good idea and I did think about it but I don't have one so that idea went out the window Crying or Very sad

It's a CRF250L, I'm guessing it reads from the back wheel as when I have the bike on the work stand, if I put it in gear and start twisting the throttle to spin the back wheel (don't ask) the speedo will start going up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:27 - 06 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuzzyBallz wrote:


A Satnav is a good idea and I did think about it but I don't have one so that idea went out the window Crying or Very sad



Got a smatphone? Few good sat nav apps that are just as good as sat navs themself what are free. Also plenty speedo apps you can try.

Poor mans option. Get mate in car to follow you and toot horn at 30,40,60,70,100mpg. Take mental note and mark them on your clock
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FuzzyBallz
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 May 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 06 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPz750 wrote:
FuzzyBallz wrote:


A Satnav is a good idea and I did think about it but I don't have one so that idea went out the window Crying or Very sad



Got a smatphone? plenty speedo apps you can try.


Now that is a good idea, why didn't I think of that!! I've just downloaded one on my iStone, got a little tank bag with a clear bit I can put it in too, excited to get out in the morning and try it!

Thanks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:49 - 07 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do a couple to compare speeds. This is what i sometimes use. Spend 5 minutes learning how to use it as in landscape you can get big font on its speedo.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest&hl=en_GB
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 124 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.61 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 62 Kb