Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki Gz Marauder 125 Issue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sinjin94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:24 - 10 Jun 2015    Post subject: Suzuki Gz Marauder 125 Issue Reply with quote

Hi! Firstly i would like to let you know i am a new rider and many things may be alien to me (im not stupid i promise Smile )

The bike - Suzuki marauder gz 125 2000 model 29000 on the clock and has had new swing arm, new brakes, new cables, new battery, new levers and has just had a service (all done by previous owner who was a mechanic)

The issue -
Went for a ride around the hills in derbyshire all being fine and was largely uphill. after about 40-50 miles i was traveling up hill and the bike started to jump a bit then lost power, after pulling her over and trying to start her up again it wouldnt turn over, after about 20 minutes it turned over but would only stay on briefly and would then cut out, after another 20 minutes it would stay on in neutral and then cut out whenever i tried to pull off in gear. It was at this point i could hear a knocking in the engine ( faint a bit more of a rattle than a loud knock) at a loss another biker stopped and came over who then proceeded to check the spark plug which was quite "sooty" we cleaned that up, popped it back in but the same problem. after getting the bike home and trying it a bit more ive found that:
1. the bike will run, with the faint knocking and with some wildly fluctuating revs
2. when put in first it will cut, even when the clutch is fully pulled in
3. it will pull off in second but only for about 20 ft then cuts

Me , My friends (been riding for a while), and the nice bloke who stopped are at a loss, i think i have included everything and hopefully havent bored you to death with the short life story.

Any suggestions/Questions will be massively appreciated as its my 3rd day riding and feel robbed i cant go out tomorrow haha Rolling Eyes

Many thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 11 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooty plug suggests running really rich. Have you been running with the choke on? Check your air filter for obstructions.

What's the oil level like? Do you have some/enough/any? What does the oil look like? Does it smell strongly of petrol?

Sinjin94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:29 - 11 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yeah thats was the guy said and their fairly new NGK Plugs aswell, not that im aware of, the choke is on my left thumb and im sure its not been on although yesterday i noticed the electrical units on each side of the bar were loose and would rotate if twisted.
As far as the oil goes ot looks good , window suggests a good level and it doesnt smell old or crap. if it has been running too rich (been riding a fair few hours for the past 3 days) could i have toasted the engine?
and ill check the air filter tomorow and let you know
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:21 - 11 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running a little rich is ok, running very rich will impair hot running and may cause significant carbon fouling.

Running lean is more likely to do expensive damage.

Check move the choke lever on the bars whilst watching the operation at the carb, check it opens and closes correctly.

Is it possible the PO was a poor mechanic?

I'd be tempted to drain the oil and look for bits of metal in it. The bike takes about a litre so wont be expensive, check in the oil filter housing as well. There are three bolts around the sump plug, remove those after draining the oil and a small cover comes off, revealing a metal screen. Check the inderside of the cover and remove and inspect the screen for fragments of metal that souldn't be there. Remember how it all went back together.

Check the function of your sidestand switch.

It may be there is more than one problem.

Sinjin94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:03 - 11 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The choke and choke operation seem to be fine , left her all last night and came back to it today to see if i had missed anything and ive found some more questionable stuff , the issue is still the same nothings changed , as i was checking the kick stand pin ive noticed there is a wire just wrapped around the frame with 2 connections on the end and it comes straight out of the housing for the pin in the kickstand , the wire is 2 core with a black and earth looking coloured wires , not sure if or where they should be connected, also there is oil spitting out a weld on the underside of the exhaust which i hadnt noticed. the air filter seems to be clear and working as intended , the grinding sound is still there , ill have to grab some tools to get the oil nut undone to drain it and get the casing off

Sinjin94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:28 - 11 Jun 2015    Post subject: Cheers everyone Reply with quote

Just had the mechanic pop round and have a look at it now and he thinks the whole thing is terminal , is his words , it sounds like a bag of spanners you need a new engine

since ive sunk everything into this and the PO is not picking up his phone / answering texts looks like i wont be riding again for a while , atleast i got 2 days though..

many thanks talktothehat and ill probably end up using the forum again when i finally save enough to fix it

cheers

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 01:30 - 12 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

This previous owner - are they also a vehicle trader? If so, returning the bike is a possibility, although expect to get a bit of hassle out of them. The favourite excuse would be "that was my personal vehicle, not a trade one, not my problem guv".

If it does need an engine, it isn't the end of the world. Look on ebay for an engine, shouldn't be too expensive. A replacement engine is unlikely to have the same problems, they normally quite reliable, you've just been sold a lemon. Changing an engine in a small bike is very easy - usually 3 or 4 big bolts, a couple of electrical connectors, the drive chain, the carb and the exhaust to remove. No special tools needed, a gentle afternoon's work for someone mechanically competent.

Sinjin94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:26 - 13 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah it was a private seller, tried to get hold of him the past few days and nothing , absolutely fuming half tempted to take all the lads i work on the door with and go for a "chat"

Alas i have been looking into that and for some reason a gn engine is cheaper than a gz engine, but apprantly from what ive read they are the same engine? Dont know if thats a viable option but im still looking into it

Cheers for the advice robby

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 13 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
you did check there was oil in it, right?
sounds like its been ran dry & its now f*cked.
try & source a cheap replacement engine from a breakers or ebay.
might be worth considering a chinese engine, these are usually bullet proof & not that expensive new.
bad luck. Not much you can do about the guy who sold it to you. Sounds like it was fine when he sold it & you killed it. caveat emptor & all that. think of it as a learning experience. Once you get a replacement engine, strip the old one down & take some pics & show us the damage.

cheers,
GAZ

Sinjin94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:15 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh definately ill let you know, looks like thats the way im going to have to go, and nah the problem was definately there when i got it aparantly its far too loud for what it should of been (first bike 0 clues) yeh there was definately oil in it but after draining a bit of it to have a look it reeks of petrol which indeed yes, has fried the engine, reckon i could get the big end rebuilt or would it just be simpler to replace the engine?

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quickest way to get yourself back on the road, would be to replace the engine. Then you could either re-build the old one at your leisure (learning about engines on the way) and swap it back later, or if the old one is too far gone, you could still sell it on eBay as 'needs re-build'.

Either way, you should end up with something to partly offset your original costs.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 318 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1