Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Failed my CBT, please help!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stu_666
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:48 - 08 Aug 2004    Post subject: Failed my CBT, please help! Reply with quote

Sad Crying or Very sad

Hi all,

Problem I found was using the accelerator. Once I got going I was fine just initially moving off. I think where I was going wrong was using too much of the accelerator after letting the clutch out and not easing back on it. I know it sounds really obvious but I found it f*ck hard to get hold of (to the extent that I lost control of the bike twice and did'nt have the confidence to go for the final road bit).

I also found that the training school I went to was a bit pants. For the morning bit where you are learning the controls of the bike the instructor to me seemed to be taking the piss out of me a bit. He was also going on about how I was not going fast enough when practising going up to junctions. The equipment also was pretty dire as no helmet fitted me there, so I constantly had it rubbing against the back of my head and the forehead. The jacket also was a wee bit too small and smelled pretty rank as also for the gloves. Although the instructor thought it was better to bring your own helmet, it seems a bit silly that they don't provide an xxxl helmet. The theory bit also was done in their garage out the back (and when I say garage I mean a garage) Rolling Eyes

I probably will try and stick with it as it does look very rewarding when you've got the grasp of it. I'll also probably look into a different school as I did'nt really get installed with confidence at the one I used, bearing in mind that I've never been on a bike before today.

I was wondering though if any of you guys (and ladies of course (no made up ones mind Laughing )) found the CBT bit difficult? Anything like the above? Myself I found that 125's we used powerful so I hate to think what these 1k litre bikes are like... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gobbin
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 08 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stu
I had exactly the same experience on my CBT - my problem was the initial stuff was done in a v small car park, (my head couldn't cope with setting off/ having to turn a corner almost straight away)and by the time we were due to go out onto the road, I'd lost confidence in my ability to move off without over-revving, stalling, etc etc. Once I was going, I was fine.

I had to go back for a 2nd session and I explained on the phone that I had felt hemmed in and needed more space. The 2nd day we went to a much bigger space and I was fine.

Remember to use the clutch (and back brake when appropriate) to help you control the bike - you can be revving the bollocks off it, but if you're holding it on the clutch, it won't go anywhere you don't want it to!

I also found it helped to relax your arms/grip a bit-the nervous tension in your muscles finds its way down to the controls!

I'm now doing training for my test which is on Thursday, so don't give up!All the best. Smile

gobbin

annndy
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 08 Aug 2004    Post subject: Re: Failed my CBT, please help! Reply with quote

For the slow control stuff i found its all in the clutch hand.

The clutch on a motorbike is designed to be ridden so if you keep the accelerator at a constant rate you can control your speed by either pulling it in or letting it out.

For example if you think your going a bit to fast just pull it in a little bit. Just be gentle with it and try not do it too quickly. Plus you can always use your foot brake aswell.

If you try and control your bike at slow speeds by cutting off the accelerator and putting it back on again the bike can sometimes get jumpy and snappy.

Anyway I hope thats of some help, its all practise really, keep trying and im sure you'll pick it up in no time Thumbs Up

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:39 - 08 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it on a twist and go moped. My mate had a similar experience as he never rode a geared bike before.

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:57 - 08 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't even think of doing it on a twist and go unless that is what you're going to be using! Exclamation

Dru2000d
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 08 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha i stalled my bike countless times...just let the clutch go too soon!!!

the instructor was too busy looking after the lad in front as he was screaming up the road...so i pulled out, let the clutch go too soon and the bike (suzuki gs125) started bucking like a bull...couldn't control it and flew up a grass banking!!!

by pure luck maaan...i passed!!!

next time you take it...make sure you mess up when no1 is looking lolol

MaSh
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:10 - 09 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off try to relax

Let the bike idle and slowly release the clutch to the biting point..You will feel this as the engine note starts to change.Apply a small amount of revs and continue to release the clutxh SLOWLY untill it is all the way out.

A VERY common error amongst my students that haven't ridden before is to release the clutch to the biting point then just let go of it.

A motorbike clutch is designed to be slipped...

Again relax

Remember if you do feel yourself being carried away by the bike pull the clutch in..This releases the drive to the back wheel..

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 09 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my cbt on geared bike.

Had my visor open, and instructor decided to take us up to 60mph.

My first time on a geared bike Shocked , let alone 60mph!

With the visor being open, and the fact i was not exactly confident the wind was terriably, it hurt so bad, it was cold winters night. I wasnt condfident enough to take one hand off the bars to close the visor.

I couldn't hear the instructor either due to the wind so me and this leanrer guy were caining it around and this street, intuctor was screaming down the intercom at us, we were oblivious. lol

TBH i didnt feel confident going on the road, the intructot "bullied" it into us. And we both passed in the end.

Haha the instuctors face was a state when we finished. We rode like true noobs. Stalling, jumping reds, going the wrong way etc.

it was pretty hard that day, but worth it becuase on my first lesson about a week later, already knew enough to have a good ride on the road.

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 11:13 - 09 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you see my profile you will see exactly how I described my CBT...
it was a nerve wracking nightmare !!!!! Shocked

I found it very difficult.
It was a hot day....I was sweating in this cruddy playground...

I had never even sat on a bike before and here I was expected to ride off into the sunset on one !

It took me ONE HOUR to master pulling off...then another hour for junctions...

I did NOT want to go on-road...the instructor persuaded me...
anyways I did...and it was fine...apart from the fact that when I reached a roundabout or traffic lights I felt SO pressured that I tried to get away quickly in the available 'gap', but dropped the clutch EVERY time. Embarassed

He then gave me 20 mins at the very end of the day to impress him or he was not going to pass me...and he TOLD me this...to my face.

I tried SO hard...and I did it by the skin of my teeth.

It is difficult, and the added factor of ill-fitting, smelly equipment would have put you off too.

Don't be disheartened....stick with it.
I had to force myself to get on a bike after my CBT as I was a tad scared Shocked

I find my Honda CG heavy and semi-powerful going at 60 (much to the amusement of others)...but then I have only been riding about 3 weeks.

Good luck !

JO xx

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 11:46 - 09 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you fail a CBT

il tell you how, crap equipment and instruction!

i whizzed mine even though never riding a bike before, did it on a 125 geared bike even though i currently ride a scoot

we even got finished early too

was a few mishaps, like trying to set off in third

but they said i put a good ride in Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:51 - 09 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's down to how the day goes for you. You could have the best equipment and instruction and still not get up to the standard needed, If every single person on the CBT that day failed then that does start to suggest there is something wrong with the training school but if you aren't upto the required standards than they can't pass you.

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 09 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like you had a bad experience with a poor training school Sad - sorry to hear that.

I had a few problems at first with getting the balance with the clutch, and even 3 months later I still stall more than I should Embarassed

I found my instructor for the car park bit to be a knob - he stood there with a fag in his mouth thinking he was the Fonz in his leather jacket, and took the piss out me when I stalled. However, when I went out on the road I was with another guy who was fantastic - he was patient, supportive, encouraging and also told me when I did something right, which is really quite important for confidence building.

I really think you should look into going to somewhere more professional, don't give up - you've just had a bad experience and you will get there eventually Thumbs Up Very Happy

Good luck.

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 09 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Don't even think of doing it on a twist and go unless that is what you're going to be using! Exclamation

I did mine on a twist and go when I went back the second time. When I got my bike, getting used to the gears was so much easier than I thought, and my clutch control got better with time. I didn't have any problems progressing this way.

Stu_666
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:43 - 09 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers v. much for all the advice peeps Smile

I was thinking about going for a twist and go moped or automatic bike as one of the other blokes on the course had one but I would really like to get the knack of changing gears. Plus its the easy way out! I'll probably invest in a helmet as well as I found that to be a pain in the arse for concentration. Me noggin still ached a bit today from it! I think I've heard that Arai do helmets for large sizes so I might give them a go to see what they're like.

As for the training school I think I will probably try somewhere else and actually go around for a look this time to see what they're like.

duelcoot
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:52 - 09 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guy's and gal's are making me scared too take mine in a week or two.

Stu_666
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:00 - 09 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

duelcoot wrote:
you guy's and gal's are making me scared too take mine in a week or two.

Ah, I'm sure you want be as crap as me though Razz I'd probably check out what the CBT place is like before hand if you have'nt already done so. Also, depending on how you get on, don't feel that you have to pass in one day. I think that's where I went wrong as well and got flustered in rushing.

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:09 - 09 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try and find another place to do your CBT if you can find one. There is no way the instructor should be making fun of you Evil or Very Mad

Did they limit it to one day as well? Because most places (as far as I know) should give you 2 days at it if you want - over a weekend for example. Then if after the first day you're not ready for the road you can put it off until the next day.

As for the geared vs. twist+go, if it's a geared bike you're planning on getting, do the CBT on it. Otherwise you're either going to get yourself a bike and drop it because you haven't got the hang of gears, or you're going to end up paying a lot of money per hour getting it taught to you in lessons. You've a lot of time on a CBT, use it to get the hang of the gears Smile

You will get the hang of it, it just needs practice! Don't run away from it, keep trying Very Happy

(you need to find a better CBT place where they'll take you through it slowly, and they can spot where you're having problems and go over things even more slowly if need be...)

good luck Smile

duelcoot
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:17 - 09 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol i hope so if i have a dodgy instructor and im gonna fail might aswell crash into him Twisted Evil

duelcoot
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:17 - 09 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol i hope so if i have a dodgy instructor and im gonna fail might aswell crash into him Twisted Evil
Dave_gimber This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 02:26 - 10 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_gimber wrote:
do you think i could be in trouble with takin my CBT, becasue i havnt been on the road yet? Confused

when I did my CBT I'd never been on a bike before *ever*, and I couldn't drive a car. So I had zero road experience! They expect you to be a total beginner, don't worry Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:41 - 10 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I think that you shouldn't have any problems at all really as fair enough you might not have riden on the roads but you'll already know all about controlling the bike and how to handle it etc from your racing experience. Should pass your CBT with no problems at all really. Thumbs Up

Dave_gimber
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 10 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yeh my racing experiances- ofcourse how could i forget! Razz

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 11:18 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I passed my Automatic CBT back in April, but I have heard that if you want to ride a geared bike afterwards you have to take a CBT on a geared bike. Is this so as the training school said if I ever needed training on a geared bike I would get it for free. Now that is decent customer service. Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Stu_666
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:54 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would have to do it on a geared bike. I know for cars you have to. That's bloody good of the training school to do it for free. For me it was "after a couple more lessons you'll be fine, they're £20 per hour". Yeah right, and I'm so keen to go back there again...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4