Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clipless pedals / shoes on a budget

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:56 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Clipless pedals / shoes on a budget Reply with quote

Any recommendations for these? (road not mtb), Id like to have a go to see how I get on with them, but dont want to drop a load of cash on them, would be happy to stick with some that are just OK for a small period of time before I upgrade.

thanks

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimano so some spd-sl for about £20 then you can grab some decent shoes from decathlon for £40

https://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/r540-spd-sl-road-pedals-oe--ec050917

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/road-5-mens-road-cycling-shoes-white-black-id_8243683.html

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:24 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up my shoes + pedals and cleats from ebay for £45 iirc. They've been great,work well. Shimano shoes with ritchey pedals and cleats.

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:58 - 18 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, will pick them up when I get paid

is there much of a learning curve moving over to clipless? fully expecting to have an embarrassing off at the traffic lights!

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 18 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MTB SPDs and yes, I have had a few low-speed falls because of them. The main learning for me is about how to pedal - I don't do a full power stroke all the time, but when I am up out of the saddle on a climb it makes a huge difference to be able to pull as well as push.

You soon get used to unclipping as you slow down if you know you're going to stop - or anticipating the stops better so you don't have to.

My main issue even now (around 7 years of using them) is on rutted tracks, where the front wheel gets tramlined and I can't dab a foot to help out. For that reason I have the pedals set up with a regular platform one side and the clip-in on the other, so if I am going in some gnarly, tree-rooty going I can unclip but still use the pedals. Also means if I want to quickly nip out on the bike I can do it in regular footwear.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:20 - 18 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having them adjusted correctly is the main thing,having them in the wrong position can cause knee pains.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 19 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reason why you want road rather than mtb?
Typically road cleats protrude from the bottom of the shoe, making walking in them a pain (you may need cleat covers). MTB cleats are normally recessed, so you can wear them off the bike too. It may sound silly - but being able to walk safely into a café to buy cake is always a bonus.

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:44 - 19 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Any reason why you want road rather than mtb?
Typically road cleats protrude from the bottom of the shoe, making walking in them a pain (you may need cleat covers). MTB cleats are normally recessed, so you can wear them off the bike too. It may sound silly - but being able to walk safely into a café to buy cake is always a bonus.

Was more stating that I ride road as opposed to a particular preference in shoe

I hadnt actually considered mtb shoes, will have a look at some, as would quite like to be more comfortable off the bike too!

thanks

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:52 - 29 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

ended up ordering these

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-m10-mountain-bike-cycling-shoe/?sku=5360675968

and https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/?sku=5360065902

Hopefully I didnt cheap out too much with them, they seem to have positive reviews everywhere

motad_uk
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:53 - 29 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stowelly wrote:
ended up ordering these

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-m10-mountain-bike-cycling-shoe/?sku=5360675968

and https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/?sku=5360065902

Hopefully I didnt cheap out too much with them, they seem to have positive reviews everywhere

back the adjuster off for the first couple of rides to make clipping out even easier and just practice turning your heel out to uncip a few times. after a few days you will be amazed your survived without them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:41 - 03 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

survived my first ride on them, had to unclip a couple of times during my ride which was fine..... just stopping at work, approaching the bike rack i preemptively unclipped my left foot, pulled into the bike rack and for some reason attempted to put my right foot down, just caught the rack before i hit the floor!!

apart from that was all good

was surprised how hard the pedals where to get off, snapped a Halfords professional allen key bit diagonally! had to draw for the snap-on bits.....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1