Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 11 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roflhat wrote:
That reply was perfect Very Happy
Got a spark after about 15 minutes of fiddling with the wiring.
Cleaned out the tank then poured fuel in it only to find out there was about 100 pin size holes in it... More like a sieve than a fuel tank.
So i got an old lawnmower tank from my Grandpa and strapped that on. Had a go at starting it but no luck. Think I'll take the carb off and clean it.
https://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af256/Roflhat/IMG_8295%201.jpg

Ha ha - I like it. Yes indeed please clean that carb. If the tank was rusted then some will have found its way into teh carb no doubt. Also mine (after standing 10+ years) had th ecarb bowl full of oil (!?) I reckon it must have seeped in via the 2T pump but still no real idea where it came from. Also expect a crankcase full of oil which will produce a hilarious amount of blue smoke when you do get it going.. Get that camera ready.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Roflhat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:58 - 11 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up thanks Very Happy

Yeh I was looking at the POR15 tank sealant, had good results with their paint before. Says its suitable for modern ethanol fuel too. Was having a look at second hand tanks but they're a bit pricey. Maybe once I get the bike going I'll spend a wee bit of money it, new ignition barrel etc. But want to keep it cheap.

Anyone know what oil I need for the fuel and also what gearbox oil?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 11 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roflhat wrote:
Thumbs Up thanks Very Happy

Anyone know what oil I need for the fuel and also what gearbox oil?

For the 2T tank - green stuff any petrol station should sell it or Wilko sell a bottle (500ml ?) for three quid. For gearbox you need motorcycle oil suitable for a wet clutch (JASO summat or other) you only need about 600cc so a litre bottle will do you - some folk say ATF (transmission fluid) is alse OK for two stoke g/box too -might be cheaper and more easily available.

Roflhat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:47 - 11 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks.
I have racing boat which has a 70hp 2 stroke yamaha on it. I've heard about folk using ATF in the gearbox but on an outboard you have to be very careful water doesnt get in. Apparently there's some performance gain in it, I'm not too sure.
I'll have a look around the shed and see what we have, I guess outboard oil would probably work too.

Roflhat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:21 - 11 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a go at starting it today, took the carb apart and cleaned everything, then put it back together.
carb was flooding so I took it apart again and changed the level of the float which solved that. Wouldnt start so I put some oil in the cylinder to raise compression and managed to bump start it down our driveway. Ran for about 100 meters before it ran out of fuel. Took it back to the shed, refuelled but then after a few kicks it seized up.
So I removed the head, removed exhaust then the barrel and took the piston out. The piston was seized in the barrel. Cleaned them all up but the piston has seen better days. The bottom ring is gone and the top one is compressed to the same size as the piston. There's also a chip from the bottom of the piston so I think it's worthwhile replacing the whole lot.

Roflhat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:40 - 11 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a new piston, which takes the total spend on the bike to £149.90
Bike = £130
Piston and rings £19.90

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 11 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just come to this.

I can offer no advice Sad , but fond memories of the two A 100`s I had in my yoof remind me that they were good little bikes.

I do remember that they used to rot at the back of the frame.
But being that pressed metal frame, meant welding them up was`nt that hard..

Roflhat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:41 - 12 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to hear stories about them, was talking to guys yesterday who had Yamaha "fizzies" and little suzukies, said there used to be an event for 50cc bikes where you had to do as many laps as you could in a certain time. Sounds like excellent fun for not too much money

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:30 - 12 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much respect on the Beetle restoration

Hope the bike turns out well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 12 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roflhat wrote:
I like to hear stories about them, was talking to guys yesterday who had Yamaha "fizzies" and little suzukies, said there used to be an event for 50cc bikes where you had to do as many laps as you could in a certain time. Sounds like excellent fun for not too much money

Moped Mayhem....... used to have it at the BMF rally when it was at the East of England showground in May.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 12 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roflhat wrote:
had a go at starting it today, took the carb apart and cleaned everything, then put it back together.
carb was flooding so I took it apart again and changed the level of the float which solved that. Wouldnt start so I put some oil in the cylinder to raise compression and managed to bump start it down our driveway. Ran for about 100 meters before it ran out of fuel. Took it back to the shed, refuelled but then after a few kicks it seized up.
So I removed the head, removed exhaust then the barrel and took the piston out. The piston was seized in the barrel. Cleaned them all up but the piston has seen better days. The bottom ring is gone and the top one is compressed to the same size as the piston. There's also a chip from the bottom of the piston so I think it's worthwhile replacing the whole lot.

OK first step - why did it seize ? Did you get loads of blue smoke on start-up ? If not then maybe the 2 stroke oil isn't getting through. There is some in the tank behind the side panel right ? If yes better check the oil pump which is behind the front sprocket cover IIRC. You might be able to remove it and run it by a hand/battery drill to see if it's pumping.You might need to bleed the oiling system too..

Good progress mind you Wink

Roflhat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:12 - 14 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Much respect on the Beetle restoration

Hope the bike turns out well

Cheers Cool Not planning a restoration, just to make it work!

pepperami wrote:

Moped Mayhem....... used to have it at the BMF rally when it was at the East of England showground in May.

cool thanks, looking at photos of it, looks like wicked fun

Roflhat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:16 - 14 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

OK first step - why did it seize ? Did you get loads of blue smoke on start-up ? If not then maybe the 2 stroke oil isn't getting through. There is some in the tank behind the side panel right ? If yes better check the oil pump which is behind the front sprocket cover IIRC. You might be able to remove it and run it by a hand/battery drill to see if it's pumping.You might need to bleed the oiling system too..

Good progress mind you Wink

There was some smoke, but it was bump started down the hill so I didn't have much of a chance to check on it. I think the engine oil might have been a bit low, I assumed that the 2 stroke oil was also the engine oil, the tank on the RHS of the bike still had plenty oil in it. I'm going to completely drain and refill the oils before starting it this time. Every day is a school day eh! Got the new piston today so hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to do some work on the bike.
Big thanks for all the help so far, you're a wealth of information mate!
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Roflhat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:10 - 15 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
You'll need to bleed the oil pump. Not a great idea to poor engine oil in the cylinder before strating either, a few drops of petrol, yes.....oil...no Wink You need to be a bit more careful, the poor thing hasn't been running for ages and the crank seals may need replacing. There's up to around 12,000 controlled explosions going on in that cylinder every minute and if everything isn't just right, you'll destroy the engine.

OK thanks.
The idea behind putting oil in the cylinder was the help the rings seal and raise the compression, just to help it get started.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Roflhat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:09 - 15 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I've not heard the diesel one before, shall have to give it a go. The extra compression from oil in the cylinder is only temporary, you could use almost anything, it just stops air passing the piston rings so easily.

I don't really have the money to spend on the bike, for now the plan is to get it running. Saying that I the beetle was meant to be a quick fix up project...!

I put the top end back together today, got the piston assembled and put back on. Made up a new gasket for between the barrel and crankcase, really I should have bought one but the home made one from gasket material worked out very nicely. Also when I took the head off it one of the nuts was completely off and the other three were fairly loose, probably not helping the compression much... Now all done up tight.
Changed the gearbox oil too, the old oil looked very clean but better be safe.
I've marked on the 2 stroke oil tank the level of the oil in it, so I can tell if the oil pump is working after the engine has been running for a while. For now I've put 2 stroke in with the fuel, premixed, at 40:1. Test run hopefully tonight, let me know if there's anything else I should do/check!

Roflhat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:54 - 15 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried again tonight, wouldn't start so I tried putting some fuel in the cylinder and it would start and then stop. So checked the fuel line and there was a kink in the line just before the carb, sorted that and it started first time!
Took it out just down the road and some off roading, ran really well! I don't think the oil pump is working, the level is the same so I'll run premix fuel for now. It's incredibly slow but incredibly cool Cool
I was driving it without the cover over the carb, which I've now put on. I noticed it has a rubber gasket around it, so I'm assuming air isn't meant to get in there, so maybe it was running far too lean. I tried starting it again with the cover on and it seemed to idle better, will hopefully try it again tomorrow. Heading down to Glasgow on thursday so won't be working on it until I'm home at Christmas.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 15 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roflhat wrote:
Tried again tonight, wouldn't start so I tried putting some fuel in the cylinder and it would start and then stop. So checked the fuel line and there was a kink in the line just before the carb, sorted that and it started first time!
Took it out just down the road and some off roading, ran really well! I don't think the oil pump is working, the level is the same so I'll run premix fuel for now. It's incredibly slow but incredibly cool Cool
I was driving it without the cover over the carb, which I've now put on. I noticed it has a rubber gasket around it, so I'm assuming air isn't meant to get in there, so maybe it was running far too lean. I tried starting it again with the cover on and it seemed to idle better, will hopefully try it again tomorrow. Heading down to Glasgow on thursday so won't be working on it until I'm home at Christmas.

Ha ha - good news. The 2 stroke oil will go down very slowly so may not be immediately noticeable. You SHOULD check the pump though as it also feeds the main bearings I think. The oil in the premix doesn't get to those (afaik) so you could be putting these parts in jeopardy ! Take off the sprocket cover and the small plate underneath to reveal the pump you can then follow the oil lines to see what I mean. You have to remove the gear lever also..

Roflhat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:26 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back at home for a few days so I decided to have a go at the bike while I'm waiting for a rebuilt crankshaft for my outboard.
Wouldn't start so after going through the usual process, fuel, spark etc. It turned out to be a bad plug. Replaced it with a similar one I found in the shed while I ordered a new one. Started and ran absolutely beautifully, took it for a short ride and all is well.
https://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af256/Roflhat/IMG_0562.jpg

Removed the oil tank - I'll just put oil in the fuel - and removed the battery. Also removed the mirrors and rear light, which I'll hopefully replace with a smaller one. I'll probably sell the mirrors + light unit if anyone is interested.

Couple other things done, out of the 4 bolts which hold the handlebars one of the holes had no thread, so I had to tap it to take an M10 bolt.

Still looking for a fuel tank! There's a couple on eBay but they must be from different years, not sure if they will fit but they're not identical.

Roflhat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:06 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today I got to the oil pump, had to take off the gear lever, side casing, chain, to get to it. Took it apart and it looked as new, drained all the old oil from it, made sure it wasn't seized and flushed it out with carb cleaner before bleeding the new oil through. I've re-installed the oil tank put fresh oil in it, fair bit of snow out today so no much testing, I've marked the oil level so I see if it drops. Still running premix in the meantime. Also fitted the new light, which I got for free. Made a bracket for it from an old alloy radar reflector mount. Not too pretty but it works!
Also cut a chunk from the rear mudguard, looks a wee bit less dorky now I think.
Before:
https://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af256/Roflhat/IMG_0594.jpg

After:
https://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af256/Roflhat/IMG_0595.jpg

Really rocking the rat look

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, more please Thumbs Up

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't run an A100 on premix. Not without modifying the casings first.

Roflhat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:29 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
You can't run an A100 on premix. Not without modifying the casings first.

Yeh so I've been told, that's why I was fixing the oil pump today

Roflhat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:43 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know where I could get a seat like this? Or even better tips on making one? If I could harder foam and maybe use the material from the existing seat over it.
https://40.media.tumblr.com/1f712fe5991e5c031593784ce69fbfc9/tumblr_noekzs91941reb6d3o1_1280.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5