Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Valve locator tool

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

3BsBiking
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:22 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Valve locator tool Reply with quote

I have seen a tool which helps you pull the inner tube valve through the rim but I have no idea what it is called, even in English, or where to find one...having just wrestled with a valve in 30 degrees plus I'd really like one
Most grateful for any help.
Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tool you are thinking about is for pulling tubeless type valves into the rim - and not a good idea for a tubed valve.

Ideally you need to push the valve 'home' just enough to get the retaining nut on it - finger tighten it until the tyre is properly landed on the rim and you have fully inflated the inner tube, then pinch up the nut.

All this assuming that you are putting a tube on a rim meant for tubes!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these will hold the valve so that it does not drop back through the hole in the rim, assuming that is what you are trying to achieve.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191271474259?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

delsol wrote:
One of these will hold the valve so that it does not drop back through the hole in the rim, assuming that is what you are trying to achieve.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191271474259?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

However, if you have enough of the stud to grab with that then you have more than enough for one of these!!!

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

However, if you have enough of the stud to grab with that then you have more than enough for one of these!!!

That is true, I will pretend that I prefer to always use sledge hammers to crack a nut. Embarassed

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:46 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe what you are looking for is commonly called an 'innertube snake'.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=motorcycle+tube+snake

You could make one yourself with an appropriate threaded stud, a drill and some string.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

You could make one yourself with an appropriate threaded stud, a drill and some string.

Or an old tyre valve and a length of bathplug chain.

I'm a little confused as to why it was such a problem locating the stud in the rim hole - is it because you've tried to change the tube without removing one side of the tyre from the rim (so just broken the bead and tried to fish the tube in?).
I've always found dirt bike style rims easy to remove the tyre - and preferable when changing the tube as I like to make sure the tyre is clean inside and that the rim tape is muck free, tricky to do without removing the tyre.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:20 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some dirt tyres can have really stiff carcasses/beads, which can make it quite a faff to get the valve through - pull one side over enough to get your fingers in and the other side pulls over to cover the valve hole.
So, you stick a tyre lever in the other side holding it out, but then the side you've got your fingers through tries to cut your fingers off, making insertion difficult.
I've always just battled through it, but can see something to pull it through would be useful. Wouldn't pay for one of the commercial ones however.

3BsBiking
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:48 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

That is indeed the one....
Thank you muchly Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:43 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tools are a godsend for the front tyre on the bullet. Saves my knuckles from one hell of a battering. Makes a total faff into a two second job. I carry one on the bike toolkit in with the tyre levers.

A "tube valve puller" was what I always called them. Search for that and you'll get lots of hits.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 02 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found one of those pullers ideal when working on enduro tyres.The extra heavy duty inner tubes that I use does not make for an easy way to locate the valve stem into place otherwise Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1