Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Clunk when revving 900 Fireblade from idle?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Stu900rr
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 05 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 05 Jul 2015    Post subject: Clunk when revving 900 Fireblade from idle? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've recently bought a 1997 Fireblade 900rr. It had the usual cam chain rattle when I bought it, so I've fitted a new CCT and the noise has gone.

However, I've noticed that when I rev the bike from idle (and from idle ONLY) in neutral, I can feel like a clunk through the seat. There's nothing loose under the seat, and it almost feels like it's coming from the engine but reverberating through the subframe and into the seat, which is why I can feel it there.

Any ideas anyone? I'm pretty stuck.

It's worth mentioning that it doesn't clunk like that when revving from anything above idle, and is much less when I rev softly rather than a quick blip.

Cheers, I hope that description was clear enough.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jjdugen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 05 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch basket. They all do that, sir, with a few miles on them (and some cack-handed wheelies).
____________________
The CBR900RR has been sold. Aprilia Falco worms its way into my heart.
Try Soi 23 on Amazon for a good read.... Self promotion? Moi?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stu900rr
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 05 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:14 - 05 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for replying!

Ah yes, that would make more sense than crankshaft bearing problems, like some have suggested. It runs sweet as a nut, it's just that clunk... which does come and go, and is less frequent when the she's warmed up properly.

I'll get a mechanic mate to have a look at it tomorrow, but thanks for the input so far Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 05 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My money is with what Chalky has said. Bet if you pull the clutch lever in (still in neutral) and do the same thing, your vibration will go away.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.63 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 39.13 Kb