Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Budget discussion.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of people worse off Thumbs Up

Quote:
Thirteen million UK families will lose an average of £260 a year due to Budget changes to working-age benefits, says the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS).

Tax credit changes could hit three million families, which are likely to lose an average of £1,000, it said.

Even taking into account higher wages, people receiving tax credits would be "significantly worse off," said Paul Johnson, director of the IFS.

The chancellor said most workers would be better off under Budget changes.

The biggest impact on families will come from the freeze in working age benefits and the changes to tax credits, said Mr Johnson.

"It will reduce the incentive for the first earner in a family to enter work," he said.

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

He did look very smug. It reminded me of when Blairs lot out-toried the Tories in the late 90's - early 2000's. How the wheel turns.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:45 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it's a politically incorrect infringement of their human rights to say if you can't feed them don't breed them?

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I assume it's a politically incorrect infringement of their human rights to say if you can't feed them don't breed them?

I have 3 kids, apart from the basic payment the Mrs got and some credits when my daughter was in higher education
I've not had any benefits from the state since I was in my 20's and that was a short period between jobs

as my kids are all in there 20's now tax credit and family allowance does not factor into it for me
personally I'm no worse off or any better off with this budget but it still cost me a bloody arm & leg with both my sons still living at home
and paying nothing to the pot
despite both of them working, which when I am old and decrepit (not that far away) I'll remind them they owe me

but I do see the point of the multi sprog family being a burden
had a few live near me over the years

the ones I see being hit are the ones trying to get into employment but having no option but to take a low paid job
and have to rely on a topup thats about to be removed before there wage goes up to compensate

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fact is it comes down to social status. Fall below a certain level and it doesn't matter if you suffer for any changes in the economy or government policies.

_mjs_
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:50 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
the ones I see being hit are the ones trying to get into employment but having no option but to take a low paid job
and have to rely on a topup thats about to be removed before there wage goes up to compensate

This tbh. What's pissing me about this budget is that those people who have done nothing but swig supermarket smack and sire children for the last 20 years are going to have their current rates of housing benefit and tax credits grandfathered into the new system, while the next generation of people working in sub 20k a year jobs will not be able to afford to raise a decent sized family.

All the professional dole scroungers will have to do now is squeeze out another bidedal paycheck before April 2017 and be set for the next 18 years, while some poor sod on minimum wage dragging bricks around a building site for 60 hours a week won't be able to feed and clothe his kids properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about £80 a year better off according to the bbc calculator. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:57 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Rat wrote:
Fact is it comes down to social status. Fall below a certain level and it doesn't matter if you suffer for any changes in the economy or government policies.

Probably true. The reason being below a certain status are unlikely to vote, and very unlikely to vote tory even if they did.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 10 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naff all to do with status, it's to do with wealth.
Wealth creates status, even in those with no breeding.
Just because you are posh it doesn't mean you are loaded and just because you are a foul mouthed ex
bus driver from Dagenham it doesn't mean you're doomed to be poor.
Sounds like the excuses of underachievers to me.
'Can't do well because I wasn't born in to it...' Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 10 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl10 wrote:
King Rat wrote:

Probably true. The reason being below a certain status are unlikely to vote, and very unlikely to vote tory even if they did.

You don't count for the labour party or the lib Dems either.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 10 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
IFS wrote:
Thirteen million UK families will lose an average of £260 a year due to Budget changes to working-age benefits.
Left wing b0llocks.
Everyone you disagree with isn't nescessarily 'left wing', you know Razz.

The IFS has been criticised for leaning to the right as many times as it has been for leaning to the left - based purely on criticism its probably bordering on 'independant' Shocked not that I think it is personally.

In fact, Grand George Osborne himself has highly praised their work in the past, describing its previous director as one of the most
George Osborne wrote:
credible independent voices on the public finances, taxation and public spending.
Wink

Its all pointless swings n' roundabouts regardless - whether they praise them or berate them; most people don't really pay attention to what is published by government or 'independants' anyway, they will moan about it for a bit and then its business as usual.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 10 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really makes me laugh is how people who will be out of pocket suddenly become good at math now,
when numeracy was a skill that seemed to escape them when having kids they couldn't afford.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 10 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Rat wrote:

It's not dossing off to just have a modest job. Not everyone wants to go hacking their way up a career ladder. In fact I would say one of the big problems in our society is the obsession with pursuing a career taking precedent over just being good at your job.

Maybe, logically it makes more sense to sit in a chair a push a button all day for your £18k rather than try and develop.

The Wobbly Orange
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:04 - 10 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well from my point of view this was a good thing. The ringfencing of the defence budget means my job is secure.....so hurray for George.

£80 better off.....promotion not inculded.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 10 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a look on the BBC calculator.
Jointly we are £216 better off per annum.
Nice one Georgie boy Thumbs Up I shall waste all of it on stuff I don't need in the slightest. Laughing

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 10 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

£80 better off. Meh, I'd rather have it in my pocket.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 11 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

It doesn't seem to understand Ltd Co, small salary and dividends taxed at corporation tax rate.

That's because in UK law a Ltd company even run by one person is considered to be a completely separate entity for tax purposes.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 02:15 - 12 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Rat wrote:

Citations, please.
Please define the cut off line for 'social status' for this 'certain level'.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:59 - 12 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone that earns more than he does is filthy rich tory scum!

It's very simple Siggi economics, you should know things that like. Razz
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 145 days between these two posts...
EvieG2017 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5