Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Average speed cameras A40 West London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Average speed cameras A40 West London Reply with quote

New cameras have been going up on the A40 over the last few months, but the pace of installation has increased over the last couple of weeks. Apparently they go live in September.

This is of particular interest to me because this is my preferred commuting route into the smoke, but will likely affect anyone who plans on visiting the Ace Cafe. The camera are also being installed on the North Circular.

Looks like the cameras are rear facing Vector types and seem to be liberally placed in both directions between Polish War Memorial and Paddington. So that’s potentially an 11 mile stretch of good dual carriageway effectively limited to 40mph. We can expect most drivers to spend more time watching their speed than the road.

There are new road markings near the cameras like thinner versions of the white bars used for Vascar. And there are bright white LED lamps to illuminate the markings at night. I expect that the cameras will double up as tax and m.o.t. checkers as well. Maybe they’ll even email you if your subframe is twisted.

This will do nothing to entice the London haters to pop down for a visit.

Bummer.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/new_cameras_on_a40
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2014/september/tfl-upgrades-london-s-safety-cameras

TfL wrote:
The four locations TfL will be trialling average speed cameras along the TfL Road Network are:
A2 (between Black Prince and the Blackwall Tunnel)
A40 (between the Polish War Memorial and Paddington slip road)
A316 (between the M3 and Hogarth Roundabout)
A406 North Circular Road (between Hanger Lane and Bounds Green Road)

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how long it will be before we have to have people walking in front of us, waving a red flag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_flag_traffic_laws
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

speedy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:13 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh great.. that's what the 406 needs..more cameras they've already put a 30mph one in wood green along with the traffic police car that always sits on the west side of Brent cross with that horrible 9 fingered officer in
that said with traffic in the day time and nearly the entire 406 having roadworks for the last year at night London is becoming a real treat
Middle Finger
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:27 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's half my commute. I get on at the Polish War Memorial. What puzzles me, though, is that the 50mph zone continues all the way to about the Hoover Building and only then switches to 40mph. So will there be two average speed zones?

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck fuck fuck fuckity fucking fuck. M25 / A1M it is then.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

esullivan wrote:
That's half my commute. I get on at the Polish War Memorial. What puzzles me, though, is that the 50mph zone continues all the way to about the Hoover Building and only then switches to 40mph. So will there be two average speed zones?

I think the number of cameras going up would indicate the ability to split the route into chunks and have different limits for different stretches. No point having average speed cameras if folk can leave the road before passing the next set, so they appear to be everywhere.

Would love them to have variable speed limits and raise the speed when the road is clear, but alas, I think that’s a forlorn dream.

Most of the accidents I see on the road are inattention rather than speed related. Lots and lots of rear-enders courtesy of the smartphone zombies. However there have been a few whoppers over the last few years that may or may not have been folk being a bit enthusiastic. I’ve seen both bikes and cars apparently racing near to Hanger Lane and a few that ended badly. It’s those cases that the authorities use to bring in these kinds of speed controls.

Atomic Punk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:49 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A4 it is then

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:51 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the M40/A40 route a couple of times but find the M4/A4 much easier to filter on. I can pretty much get the whole way in without stopping apart from for lights on the A4 but on my attempts on the A40 it has always been really tight and shit.

Maybe I was just trying on bad days, I am pretty confident at filtering.

bigjim1974
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:53 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Westway every day and people do anywhere between 40 and 70 currently.

JoeDougieDoug...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn off just before Hanger Lane luckily... but even so the North Circular doesn't need more cameras.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the description, the FOIA request mentions average speed cameras, but then the description in the TfL article sounds more like snapshot speed/redlight combo cameras rather than average speed cameras...?

Does this mean they're putting both in? Shocked

LostUsername
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:40 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have them near me on the M1 but speed is 50, they were about to go down but the road works guys messed up so now they are here longer Sad
About a year ago I got 2 speeding tickets on the same day for 57mph each so they do infact work (Was early hours no-one working at the time)

They are front facing ones also, no line illumination either.

speedy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:09 - 15 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:
Reading the description, the FOIA request mentions average speed cameras, but then the description in the TfL article sounds more like snapshot speed/redlight combo cameras rather than average speed cameras...?

Does this mean they're putting both in? Shocked

they've already been dropping the speed/red light cameras in there's a load up the a41 a load up the a1 a load around wood green
these i can live with even the cameras that are currently there i can live with as i know whats on and off, what speed they go so when im bombing it round at night i know when i need to slow down average speed cams have me fucked the whole way

darkhorizon
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:01 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money boxes all of them

Melianor
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:24 - 22 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is needed.

This is my commute way to work everyday. I've seen 4x4s and vans going 90mph in the morning there. Real killers.
Once I had a close one with one of those 4x4s which was very scary one, so I'm happy people will go 40mph there even it will make my commuting 5 minutes slower.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Wyvern971
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:04 - 23 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melianor wrote:
I think it is needed.

This is my commute way to work everyday. I've seen 4x4s and vans going 90mph in the morning there. Real killers.
Once I had a close one with one of those 4x4s which was very scary one, so I'm happy people will go 40mph there even it will make my commuting 5 minutes slower.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

And what are you riding, a pushbike?

I'd love to see any cars / vans managing 90mph during commuting hours.....

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 26 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped into Ace Cafe and J&S on Hanger Lane today. Spoke to a few people about the cameras, and take the rest of this post as with a healthy pinch 'wot some bloke at the cafe said' salt.

-

The cameras are apparently already turned on. They caught someone on a motorbike speeding down the A40 from Polish War Memorial to Hanger Lane. There are however no Average Speed Camera Signs up yet. The guy who was caught speeding claimed to ride the stretch again with a go pro, took the footage to whoever issued him the ticket, and got out of the ticket due to the absence of any signs about average speed cameras.

-

Several other stories were told that on a Friday night, many motorcyclists speed up and down the A40 to and from the Ace Cafe. I was told there had been 6 high speed motorcycle accidents in the last 3 months along the new camera stretches. It is believed this contributed to the clamp down on speed in the area.

-

/GrainOfSalt

Furrybiker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:06 - 26 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think the bloke in the cafe is right, I have been making good progress between Uxbridge and Greenford for the last few weeks. I have only slowed for the old cameras and so far nothing in the post....

ferrisio
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:34 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, the cafe crew were talking shite - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/new_cameras_on_a40

Slow down in September.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:03 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sable wrote:
The guy who was caught speeding claimed to ride the stretch again with a go pro, took the footage to whoever issued him the ticket, and got out of the ticket due to the absence of any signs about average speed cameras.

There have never been any statutory requirements to put up signs or to make cameras visible. If you're caught, you're caught.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 29 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that they state that signs will be going up before the cameras go active hopefully means that it’s not fully operational yet. Wouldn’t surprise me if the cameras are already on and going through testing. They’re probably rubbing their greedy little hands together looking at how many folk are already into penalty territory. They probably think it’s unfair that they have to put signs up.

Also noted this week that they’ve started to burn off the old road markings for the wet film cameras. The good old ruler marks were just a memory by the start of this week. Goodbye predictable old Gatso…

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:21 - 29 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang a chain over your number plate.

Jane forsyth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:46 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: A40 speed cameras Reply with quote

IDont have a motor bike, I drive a van in London and was concerned about , the new revenue collection devices, arriving above us, so was pleased to see they are not yet live, time to slow down, I agree with other people's comments, you get so fixed on your speed,you don't keep your eyes on the road as much, ive been driving for 27years in london and done once for speeding, also had no accidents, so I do think it's about your own ability to drive and be aware of whats going on around you, not what your speed is, obviously now I'm reduced to 40/50 and under Hanger Lane underpass 30.hope this not too long winded and boring.jane x

Scootaloo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:11 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really mind new Camera's just waiting for the day when every road monitors your speed... a consistent average speed check... then this will seem like gravy by comparison.

What I do mind is the horrible bottlenecks caused by shit traffic planning or usually just flat out poor road bandwidth... Honestly there's some right corkers that could be avoided with a simple change..

Check out this example, three lanes worth of traffic merging into one due to a bus lane.. this would be Ok.. if it was not for a pedestrian crossing further up the road (marked in blue) that backs traffic back to the junction when its red... solution - foot bridge or underpass. The whole area would flow much better.

https://s10.postimg.org/ld9qwzlm0/exhibit_A.jpg

Furrybiker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:53 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The signs are starting to appear, can't be long now. Crying or Very sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5