Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Average speed cameras A40 West London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the length of the north circular today. Noticed there were average speed cameras appearing from Hanger Lane all the way past Brent Cross . I didn't think they were going to go that far.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 16:49 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sable wrote:
Did the length of the north circular today. Noticed there were average speed cameras appearing from Hanger Lane all the way past Brent Cross . I didn't think they were going to go that far.

Started noticing these too. When were they put up? Sad

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea. Been avoiding the A406 for the last 6 months due to the daft amount of roadworks along the Ikea stretch, which still isn't finished! Neutral

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP's and Googles info on Londons average speed cameras.

The four locations TfL will be trialling average speed cameras along the TfL Road Network are:

A2 (between Black Prince and the Blackwall Tunnel)
A40 (between the Polish War Memorial and Paddington slip road)
A316 (between the M3 and Hogarth Roundabout)
A406 North Circular Road (between Hanger Lane and Bounds Green Road)

So the A406 runs from here to here :

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.6113821,-0.1347394/Hanger+Lane+Station,+Hanger+Lane,+London/@51.5602847,-0.2646757,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x4876121a194ef8cf:0xef6605510ed63c22!2m2!1d-0.2933736!2d51.530159

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/screenshotsab.png

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is A2 and A316 routes for anyone who uses those roads.

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/screensab3.png

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/screensab2.png

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjim1974 wrote:
Electronic signs this morning say A40 average speed enforcement from 27th October 2015

Thank you!

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that this morning too. So the old cameras have been physically removed, the new ones don't start for another fortnight - every night is race night Thumbs Up

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Saw that this morning too. So the old cameras have been physically removed, the new ones don't start for another fortnight - every night is race night Thumbs Up

Hahahaha, now it is, looks like I might get to work on time for the next two weeks too.....AND not get tut'd at by some pikey on a scooter

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:52 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If two of you ride next to each other at an illegal speed, will either of you be nicked? This dodge works with Gatso cameras. Even if it's obvious what you've done, if there's more than one vehicle in the camera frame the evidence doesn't reach the standard required for a prosecution.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
If two of you ride next to each other at an illegal speed, will either of you be nicked? This dodge works with Gatso cameras. Even if it's obvious what you've done, if there's more than one vehicle in the camera frame the evidence doesn't reach the standard required for a prosecution.

Hmm, not sure(this is opinion based) that would be true, as each number plate would indeed have it's own time between posts, so to say. so, each having it's own 'average speed'.

Also, was that 'riding in two lanes' a fact? Or a mere folk law????

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:03 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only dodges i'm confident work with average speed cameras are
1) have a plate that ANPR can't read (maybe three line plates, plates with nonstandard fonts, very small plates or plates mounted so far inside the rear wheel well they can't be seen from the camera vantage point).
2) stay below the speed limit.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:51 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:
Hmm, not sure(this is opinion based) that would be true, as each number plate would indeed have it's own time between posts, so to say. so, each having it's own 'average speed'.

I'm not sure I understand your post, but I read about the Gatso dodge somewhere a looong time ago. I haven't researched it recently, but over the years I've had lots of fun overtaking people at warp speed in the Gatso 'box' where the road markings are https://www.abd.org.uk/gatso_photo_checking.htm. Never been busted for it. It's so entertaining - I heartily recommend it to all. Razz

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
Bishbash II wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your post, but I read about the Gatso dodge somewhere a looong time ago. I haven't researched it recently, but over the years I've had lots of fun overtaking people at warp speed in the Gatso 'box' where the road markings are https://www.abd.org.uk/gatso_photo_checking.htm. Never been busted for it. It's so entertaining - I heartily recommend it to all. Razz

In short, you won't be able to get away with it when an average speed camera is in place.

But yes, I too heard of the two vehicles in one lane not being charged with the Gatso's....But never tested it out. Sound slike you had fun though Wink

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:30 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck it, I just fucked up badly half an hour ago. I wasn't wearing my camera-proof plate but I forgot I didn't have it on. I passed a Gatso fractionally too fast and got flashed and although it was rush hour I'm pretty sure that I'd outstripped all the other traffic at the previous lights and there was nobody else in the Gatso box with me. Fuck, fuck, fuck. That takes me to 6 points. Fuckity fuck. FUCK!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Anybody know whether I'll be offered the speed awareness course alternative? I was offered it earlier this year when I got my current SP30, but I didn't reply in time so the offer was withdrawn. Have I missed my chance to spend a day in a classroom being lectured?

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:
Undinist wrote:

In short, you won't be able to get away with it when an average speed camera is in place.

But yes, I too heard of the two vehicles in one lane not being charged with the Gatso's....But never tested it out. Sound slike you had fun though Wink

Interestingly this just happened to me today. doing 30 in a 30 and bike went past me fast enough to trigger the camera as I was about 1/2way down the markings.

Will see if I get anything from it but doubt it. Would be interested if he got anything but he had an Italy plate so doubt it also.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 02 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was a good boy last week and did my best to adhere to the new rules. A little bit of mental arithmetic here and there where I figured I could up the pace after slowing for filtering. We’ll see how that goes when the tickets start dropping through my door.

However, the reason for my post is my concern that the buggers may have fitted a new fixed speed camera inside the Hanger Lane underpass. As I entered the tunnel this morning, heading Eastbound, I noticed a distinct single flash from behind me! Shocked

The speed limit in the tunnel is posted as only 30mph. If there are new cameras in the tunnel I’ve not spotted specific signs for them, but I’ll be taking a careful look as I head westbound later.

If I’ve been nabbed by a fixed camera after being so careful about my averages I may have to utter a naughty word or two… Sad

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 03 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:

However, the reason for my post is my concern that the buggers may have fitted a new fixed speed camera inside the Hanger Lane underpass. As I entered the tunnel this morning, heading Eastbound, I noticed a distinct single flash from behind me! Shocked

The speed limit in the tunnel is posted as only 30mph. If there are new cameras in the tunnel I’ve not spotted specific signs for them, but I’ll be taking a careful look as I head westbound later.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked I hope they haven't, but to be honest, I don't think I have seen a single person doing 30 through that tunnel. Looks like everyone will get stung. I will keep an eye out tomorrow morning.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 03 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually when I checked last night and this morning I saw that the 30 limit signs have all vanished from the tunnel. They may have only been a temporary thing while they were upgrading the lights to LED.

I also didn't see anything that looked like a speed camera so hopefully it was just my paranoia. I'll check my helmet cam footage when I get a minute.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 04 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I didn't see any fixed cameras this morning. But missed the 30 signs disappearing though, glad they bumped that up to 40 again Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Also, the amount of people still powering down that road is insane, I'm sure that will get less and less as the tickets start flying around

AgeingPedBoy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:45 - 19 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, long time lurker here, sorry to bump an old thread as my first post, probably an instaban offence on here (this thread is how i found out about BCF in the first place), but in view of this :

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/westway-speed-trap-nets-100000-a-month-on-11mile-stretch-of-road-a3162776.html

I was wondering if any of you have been done on the Westway yet, as I've been sticking to a steady 45mph (indicated) between Marylebone & Westfield (which is boring as hell and borderline dangerous) since it was put in place but still see a lot of bikes going down there at a fair rate of knots?

Thanks and apologies if needed.

bigjim1974
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:16 - 19 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe someone got busted for an average 50mph, not heard about anyone else
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AgeingPedBoy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:24 - 19 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda guessing the threshold is around 50...

bigjim1974
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:29 - 19 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 indicated seems to work but they could change it anytime I suppose
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bassmastergen...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:24 - 19 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: Average speed cameras A40 West London Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:
This will do nothing to entice the London haters to pop down for a visit.

Speaking as one of the aforementioned group, nothing would. HTH.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 19 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve used the A40 on most week days since the cameras went live and no tickets yet for me. Touch wood.

I guestimate based on optimistic speedo and any breathing space that TfL built into the system and tend to stick around indicated 50mph for the 40 sections and 60mph(ish) for the 50 sections.

Still see plenty of folk who clearly don’t get how averages work. I get out of their way and prepare for their panic braking at the cameras.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5