BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Learner Legal Classic

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers via Highlights Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:49 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You actually give me hope for the future. When I'm king, I shall exempt you from National Service.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:08 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Infinite post

That's it. I'm phoning Guinness Book Of Records - this has to be the one Shocked
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RetroC97 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies guys!

A couple of things that I realise I should have made clearer in the OP. Answering some of TMs questions...

Yes, the minor is MINE - my first car, bought, ran, maintained, and insured out of my pocket. So no, not looking for any more 'freedom' in wanting to be able to use whenever I want - just freedom of being on a bike.
Yes, I will have sufficient cash to run the bike - Scored a well paying 'part-time' job, where I actually end up working about 40 hours a week.
I shouldn't really have used the word commuter at all. The bike will never be 'relied on' as the car runs perfectly as a daily. I want a toy that I can occasionally ride to 6th form/work on if its a nice day.
Doesn't have to be 80's, just not modern! I actually prefer 60s/70s style.
Big bike isn't an option, as I'll want to ride it before October 2016!
I can ride a bike pretty well - had a crappy ped - was a good experience though. Understand use of a clutch from driving and also using motocross bikes.
I know you probably see me as another 'know it all teen', though I do genuinely have fairly good mechanical know how and resources. I've kept the moggy on the road, and I'll be stripping the head this weekend to send it off to be skimmed to stop the head gasket leaking, and raise compression slightly. Also, a good friend of mine runs a classic engineering firm, where I get some good help/advice and they have any tool you can imagine!
I understand that a BSA or MZ will never be a daily for me, but I have a passion fro classic vehicles, and wouldn't really even consider riding or working on a modern instead.

PS, I'll try not to stick it under a lorry any time soon

Thanks, Callum

sounds like you'll be fine with whatever you get!

Old british bikes have a characteristic oil leak - keep on top of it

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

Old british bikes have a characteristic oil leak - keep on top of it

That's how you know they've still got oil in them

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from a fellow Moggy owner, though mine isn't on the road at the moment, sadly.

Another vote for a Yamaha RXS100, which I had as my first bike. They're great fun to ride, although the brakes leave quite a lot to be desired (not dissimilar to a Minor, then!). They also have the advantage of an autolube system, so you don't have to carry a bottle of oil around with you, or mix oil and fuel in the tank. Downsides are that the 'worf loads' classic brigade is starting to get interested in them, which has pushed prices up, dubious 6v electrics, the aforementioned weak SLS front drum brake, and there are a few parts that can be a bit hard to come by in decent condition.

A Honda CD125 Benly might also be a good bet - essentially an 80s bike built to ape the style of 60s British machinery. Slower and rarer than an RXS, but (subjectively) more visually attractive.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:20 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RetroC97 wrote:
Yes, the minor is MINE - my first car, bought, ran, maintained, and insured out of my pocket. So no, not looking for any more 'freedom' in wanting to be able to use whenever I want - just freedom of being on a bike.
Yes, I will have sufficient cash to run the bike - Scored a well paying 'part-time' job, where I actually end up working about 40 hours a week.

Fair enough.. we do get a lot of nieve teen dreamers asking over optimistic questions though...

Bottom line, though does remain; £750 is £750 and in the Learner-Legal market, that is still in scraping the barrel territory to get anything marginally useful, regardless of style, AND of what you might want, actually finding anything worth buying, for sale, remains the bigger 'problem'.

And, while at 17, 18 months may be 1/12 of your entire life so far, and seem a REALLY long time... actually kid, it ent! Life is long and you'll be there before you know it!

I still think, on your suggested budget, you try not to pack so many hopes and aspirations into one little bike.... at the moment, you could spend that whole time until you are 19, just hunting for a bike that meets all your criteria! See comment below on CD125 Benley.

IF you want to get back in the saddle, ASAP.. then get real, and see what is on offer, in budget, and be prepared to take ANY half decent seeming 125 that'll do the job.

As for classic aspirations? Well, looking for a biogger, non-learner legal, still makes that much 'easier' and offers more scope to evolve the idea. AND the two aren't mutiually exclusive.

Nothing stopping you getting a 'cheap' 125 just to get you about, here and now AND looking for a 'project big bike' to do long term.

Like I said its all in teh compromises you are prepared to take or make.

.Chris. wrote:
A Honda CD125 Benly might also be a good bet - essentially an 80s bike built to ape the style of 60s British machinery. Slower and rarer than an RXS, but (subjectively) more visually attractive.

Quirky..... but charming.. over-head-cam mini-twin.. right up my stret and in my field of experience, worth having a ponder over...

Could tick a lot of boxes; it does have that 'classic' styling, it is a pretty comfy bike for a lightweight; it's not as cramped as many, and its a little more substantial, you do feel you have a motorbike, not a push bike between your legs. Not the easiest for CBT and Mod 1 'manual handling' because it is that bit more substantial and heavier than a lot of lighter commuters, but far from as 'awkward' as some, especially stuff with pointy plastic and restricted steering lock. Has a lot of features that make it more practical and easier to live with than older and or more utilitarian models, and the sort of support that would make maintaining it and living with it, potentially less hassle fraught as a lot of alternatives...

As a target to stick on the shortlist, its one that I could see could actually worm its way quite high up, as long as you are researching them, not actually looking for adverts or at the actual bikes that have cropped up in adverts.

The Engine is well supported, if some-what lacking in oomph.. rated at 10bhp on a single carb, it's not a lot more eager than than a push-rod single CG motor, and with 360 crank timing, both pistons rising and falling together, only slightly smoother. Later models have pretty useful 12v electrics and electric starter. Skinny 17" Wire-spoke wheels, might make tyre choices annoying, and steel rim 'rot' a worry, as with any similar wire wheel commuter of age. 4" SLS drums, as so many others too, with their own pro's and cons. Plenty of interchangeability and parts availability from more common CD185 & 200 models, though, so a relatively well supported model to plump for.

Rub, though is, that 'genuine' 125's are not at all common, and if you lucked in on finding one, what state it would be in, and whether it was in any way shape of form worth the asking price is any-ones guess.

Main thing to note, IF you chanced on one, would be to be very wary that it IS a 125.... the 185's & 200's are nie on identical, and only real 'tell' is to count the cogs... 125's have five gears, 185's & 200's four, and the motors are interchangeable in the frames, so you can have a 200 in a 125 frame or a 125 in a 200 frame (don't get exited about that, though, even the 200's barely make more power than you can have on a learner-licence!)

But the 'issue' is the V5/Log book. You want a one originally sold, and registered as a 125. Easy to be conned into buying one that's not actually a 125 or Learner-Legal.. and as a running, MOT'd fully docced road legal 185 or 200, can be bought for as little as £300, and even a really nice one will rarely command much over £500, where even almost any shit-bag 125 with a running engine can command £500+... chances of being shown a very tidy 200 with 'missing side-panels' and a 'lost' V5, but a running engine and 'Only needs a little tidying for an MOT', that's an apparent bargain of a '125' is quite high.

So... lets say this has enough going for it to be worth looking for one.. and clued up you do.... quick look on e-bay... and there's not a one! One page of 'Benly's' of all models... most earlier, 'sloper' examples commanding premium 'classic' price tags WELL out of your price range; one CD200, that's been given a questionable 'Cafe-Racer' special make over, with a hugely optimistic price tag, twice what you have to spend, and a rather sweet looking, reasonably un-molested 12v CD200, bidding at just under £500 not likely to go much higher... but no use to you, as not learner legal....

And SO the frustration starts... could be a good choice... BUT no-one has one for sale.....

Open up the search criteria to "125 Motorcycle" between £300 & £800.. get two pages of offerings; of which the closest thing to a 'classic; is a couple of old Yamaha SR125's, punting the higher end of price bracket, a few modern-ish Chinese Cruisers, in the middle, and then its hobsons choice; a damage repairable Yamaha YBR, and a couple of Kymko's and Lexmoto's, and a primicing Honda XR125, still bidding at the top end of your budget...

RXS100's have been mentioned... 1 on offer.. Bidding at a tad under £500 as I look, scant details, claimed to have an MOT.. but you'd have to go see to know whether it was worth anything.

MZ's... two on offer... Honda H100's two more on offer; Honda CB100N, two more.... Suzuki GP100, one on offer.

Of possible, likely candidates on a short list, in budget... actually for sale, today, there are just SEVEN real bikes I could get in the car and go look at, anywhere within 1000miles of where I live slap-bang in the middle of the country, advertised on the biggest 'for-sale' site....

That's NOT good odds.... so like I say.. you need to work the other way about, and look at what you COULD buy and decide whether it'll do, rather than think about what you want, and then start moaning that you just cant get it....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 16 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you seem like you have your head screwed on nicely, mine needed heli-coiling at 17. I was thinking about buying brand new Shocked Laughing

I find the Honda Cub great fun, no more go than my MT5, but in 6th form, girls loved it for it's classic style and slightly tatty look, but fifty squids scored me a bargain when I was 14, in fact I only paid twenty-five, me and my dad went halves! It was a non-runner but we got it going with fresh fuel, new plug, new oil, and then my little sister sitting on it and stamping up and down on the gear lever, we thought there was no compression, turns out auto clutch was stuck and my sister clomping about loosened it off before we started to tear into the engine. Thumbs Up

A mate of mine bought a Mito 125 when he was 16 to do up for when he was 17, recently I bought it off him for 400. He his now 19 and is looking around for a GSX600F to come playing with me. The moral is, he never got his 125 on the road and now has DAS and wants a bigger bike. Rolling Eyes

Although I still think an MZ 125 is the best shout so far, up your budget a bit and you are more likely to find a nice one, and because MZ, rrrriiiiiiing.bong-bong-bong-bong! Very Happy Although GP100's are nice bikes. If you can maintain a Moggy Minor, you can sure as hell do an old air-cooled smoker. what could possibly go wrong on one, chances are it even has drums so you won't even need to worry about that for a million miles either!

Do it, sod everyone else, part of the fun of old stuff is letting it break every now and then so you can go and fettle for a while.

I did it to my TTR, spent months given it a bit of a tart up, it lasted 300KM's and six days before the gearbox shat itself and it got parked up again. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 25 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tldr but Yamaha RD125 aircooled. MZ 125. Or much older I think BSA Bantums are plentiful and 125.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 25 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome bump. Neutral

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:54 - 26 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking it off topic slightly..... Have you joined the MMOC young members on FB Callum? I'm on there although technically too old now...

I have a '68 2 Door, slowly rusting away on a friends drive Crying or Very sad

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 26 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Financing your own motoring / motorcycling hobby at your age is commendable, and the fact that you aren't asking how to get 90mph out of a 50cc Speedfighter is somewhat reassuring.

There is no reason for anyone to doubt your technical ability, and I am sure you will find what you are looking for.

Many years ago, a mate and I were paid petrol and beer money to clear some scrap metal out of a partly collapsed barn, and we found enough parts to build a complete BSA Bantam, which he spent many months restoring to showroom condition.

I don't remember much about it as I had no interest in bikes at the time, but I remember the irony of shooing away chickens and finding a Bantam.

These 'Barn Finds' are becoming rare these days, but can still be found on eBay and GumTree - but it might be worth finding out if there's a 'FreeCycle' group near you, and placing a wanted ad to see what come up.

If you don't mind a trip across the Channel, there are often a few potential project bikes from the 60's and earlier to be found on the French ebay site www.ebay.fr
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 299 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers via Highlights All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2