Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New bike for work

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riley333
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:23 - 24 Jul 2015    Post subject: New bike for work Reply with quote

Good evening,

I'm new here but have been a lurker for a while

My name is Matt I'm a plumbing and heating engineer in the south west

Just wonder if I might ask your opinion on a business idea I've had.

I have wanted to get into biking for a good long while and now a life change has thrown up an interesting possibility for me. I will be moving to the M25/London area and have been offered the possibility of some emergency response gas work.

Basically this leads to my question. Would it be feasible for a bike to carry three briefcase sized tool boxes or similar? Not talking my whole tool collection but enough to be able to make safe gas emergencies until a colleague or I can return with a van to rectify fully.

I am looking to do direct access soon and would appreciate any bike suggestions that you think would be up to the task? if there were one out there that could be easily converted to a pleasure bike for the weekend then that'd be awesome

In addition if yes would there be any manufacturers out there that would make bespoke panniers to carry tools in an orderly fashion? Or even if something like this already exists.

Thanks so much for your help and nice to finally say hi.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:29 - 25 Jul 2015    Post subject: Re: New bike for work Reply with quote

Riley333 wrote:
Would it be feasible for a bike to carry three briefcase sized tool boxes or similar?

Yes, pretty much anything can do that. Pan Euro or Deauville have panniers built in. Most bikes have hard luggage options.

What are you after?

Riley333 wrote:
In addition if yes would there be any manufacturers out there that would make bespoke panniers to carry tools in an orderly fashion?

Depends. Are you Ewan McGregor?

Riley333
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:47 - 25 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the response. Perfect world I'd like something that kept tools in place and in order rather than just chucking them all in a bag type carrier.

Ideally something like this https://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=390309676272&globalID=EBAY-GB that could then be attached to a bike.

I was wondering if something similar existed as I can't believe I'm the only person to ever want to carry a larger tool kit.

Thanks again though

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 25 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want something robust and weatherproof, you could use something like the Peli tool cases.

There are various ways of mounting these on bikes, such as the Caribou adapters for standard racks, but google a bit and you'll find that the adventure biking crowd have some clever (or not so clever) ways of mounting peli cases.

I would look at what weight of tools you are carrying; depending upon how many you could start to approach the weight limit of the rack or adapters.

Riley333
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:59 - 25 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

Really helpful info. Would there be a particular bike style you'd lean towards that'd be better suited for this carriage task? I was thinking tourer? Then at least the mrs and I could go away on it when I'm not working.

Thanks again for your time

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 25 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pan European vfr's most bikes can be adapted can to carry the boxes of your choice......

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 25 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be looking at tourer/sports tourer/adventure bikes, as these tend to have plenty of luggage options. Consider shaft drive, especially if you are going to be out in all weathers with a working bike.

Pan European (may be a bit big around town)
FJR (similar to the Pan)
Deauville (as used by AA patrols)

BMW RT/GS (expensive and reliability can be a bit suspect)
Yamaha Super Tenere
Triumph Tiger/Tiger Explorer
Suzuki V-Strom

Plenty of choice out there that would do the job, it's really about what appeals to you.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:02 - 25 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom foam inserts in your top box and panniers to keep your equipment and tools secure?

Maybe along these lines.
https://www.protective-cases.co.uk/category/custom-foam-inserts/

Riley333
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:39 - 25 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

Thank you so much for the thoughts

Glad to know my idea isn't a total write off before I start

I'll do a little more research and as I progress no doubt there'll be more questions.

Thanks for this as you must get loads of newb questions

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 25 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a good idea to work out exactly what tools and materials you are going to need, and decide if you can get away with a single top box, a pair of panniers, or all three.

For the type and weight of tools I sometimes need to carry for work, I found a small lockable aluminium flight case that fits inside my top box, so when I arrive, I can remove the case and still store my helmet and gloves in the top box.

If I need to carry anything extra, I can get away with a back-pack.

Good luck with the job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 26 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

hard motorcycle panniers are expensive around £300 - £400 for a pair.

https://ardcases.co.uk/products-prices/

https://www.bykebitz.co.uk/motorcycle-luggage/sw-motech-motorcycle-luggage/trax-adventure-aluminium-luggage.html

If you are good at DIY you can buy cheap army aluminium food containers and do it yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1