Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

opinions on the old KDX200

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: opinions on the old KDX200 Reply with quote

Eh up - just wondered what you green laners and quarry pikeys think of the old KDX200, preferably its later incarnation with the usd forks. One thing I can't suss out - were they pre-mix? My CRM that got nicked was oil in frame, but I'm not sure how the kdx works.

So that's another part of my question - how would a kdx compare with a CRM? I liked my crm a lot - it was good low down for fiddly, nadgery, "technical" crap. Second gear in particular was useful - it was quite long and you could, w/ a bit of clutching, pull away in it. I think this, as much as anything, got it its reputation for being usable, tractable and easy going. Of course, it had a different side too - for although power was pretty linear for a 250 2t, it'd still wheelie off the throttle in third.

I'm thinking the smaller KDX engine will be a bit peakier, not have as much low down, and be less use on the road. But otoh, it's lighter, not quite as tall and - here's the clincher - can sometimes be had for half the price of a similar age/condition CRM.

Some other context - I only green lane, out with a mate on a Pampera. We ride more in the spirit of trials as opposed to enduro, iykwim. Just steady away on the local network of BOAT, connected by unclassified c-roads and such. Oh and the odd foray into a couple of abandoned local quarries.

I'm thinking a KDX would be more at home through woods and picking a line down an overgrown track, rather than the latter terrain - where the kids are razzing crf450s and the orange up cliff faces. There, the CRM was quite happy - even if I didn't have the nads for anything in the way of heroics. But I suppose in the right hands even a KDX might be able to handle some of that?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:23 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never owned one myself but from what I've heard they are surprisingly capable. They are pre-mix, apart from the KDX-SR, which was more street orientated - had a wide-ratio gearbox and an autolube system.

I'm sure Bladerunner will be along soon, he's got a few KDX200's.

Previous: Yamaha YZF1000, ZZR600, KMX200, DT50, KX80, CG125, PF50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that. Seller just told me it's a pump, so no faffing around with little measuring bottles and mental arithmetic at the pumps. Anyway, be interesting to read more opinions on this bike.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:52 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Re: opinions on the old KDX200 Reply with quote

Stop messing about and get a EC300 / 300EXC Smile.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah. Thing is it goes like this - kdx200 = £800 - £1000. Crm = £1200 - £1800. Anything orange = £1500 - £2500+.

Would definitely like one even if only to say yeah, had one. Whenever I see one I do always think shit, that looks ace.

But an old little kdx can be had for less than half the price - and I'd probably have just as much fun. Cool

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:12 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, but I paid around £900 for a road legal taxed and tested 300 (98 with 2005 suspension.)

They do seem to be keeping their value well these days.

So you could always go blue Smile.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed a *really* clean pampera on gumtree five miles away last week. Can;t bloody remember the exact price now but seem to recall it being under a grand - so pretty low. I find them a bit uncomfy but light weight and low speed power off-set that. Don't know much about the rest of the range.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:39 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go for the pamp' unless you needed the short-arse credentials.

It's capable and decently light, but not up to the enduro bikes on off road capability or ergonomics.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 21 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I...I - ahem - I get swayed by the cute factor. Embarassed Shifty

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 21 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd avoid orange personally, as I don't know many local dealers or where to get parts at non pants down prices.

My mate restored a knackered KTM 50SX a few years ago, and all the bits had to be ordered on-line and were shockingly expensive too!

The KDX200 is a proven and solid bike, and it's easy to get the spares from one of the 3 big main Kawasaki parts dealers, and there's plenty of stuff on ebay too!

The KDX SR would be a good bike, not sure specifically how it compares to a CRM, and would expect it to be a tad more revvy, but not massively so. The later 220's have quite a bit more bottom end and a flatter power delivery.

If the KDX is tidy and has been looked after well, and is local then I'd buy it! No point in travelling any real distance to find a bike IMO, I've done it in the past, but just can't be arsed these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Brick_Top
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:20 - 24 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bang for buck I think it'd make a great bike, especially the torquier 220.

There was a weakness on the original 220's, can't remember exactly but believe the pistons let go on them - easily rectified anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RideLimousin
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:32 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think actually it is an earlier model that has the USD forks!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 29 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't think so. It was only in 1994 that usds were introduced.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 29 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
No I don't think so. It was only in 1994 that usds were introduced.

I believe they disappeared again though and went back to RWU forks until the end of production in 2006(?) Or whenever.
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 29 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm yeah - think you're right there.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1