Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So... What oiled your gears today? ARCHIVE

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 222, 223, 224 ... 335, 336, 337  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Series 3 of Designated Survivor on Netflix. My life is now complete.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday my gears were oiled because I did some more clearing work near my 2 sheds at the top of the Garden, it's shaping up well.

Today, in preparation for painting the garage walls, I cleared out a section where all my cans of various gunk is stored. I've out them into a couple of large plastic boxes now stored in the metal shelving. Cleared all the cobwebs away, swept up and all I have to do is paint which is what I'm planning to do another weekend.

I have so much to do in the Garden and Garage, it's going to take me all summer but it will be so much worth it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovered today that space is expanding faster than the speed of light.
Think about that. Take a few days to mull over the implications. Then think how poxy and insignificant you are Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 09 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my chain & sprockets yesterday.

Rode to my parents today via the M25 and M20. Must have one something right as I'm not dead!

Off for valve clearance check tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:25 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:
Think about that. Take a few days to mull over the implications. Then think how poxy and insignificant you are Laughing

Yes, everyone bangs on about it being impossible to travel faster than the speed of light and yet the fabric of space-time can manage it Smile

Star Trek style warp bubbles might actually turn out to be a thing. Not for a while though.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovering cherry and dark chocolate Jaffa Cakes. Yum

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:17 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

£12 difference changing the car insurance over from the Swift Sport to the new Sp-azda. Well pleased with that and
have no additional fee to transfer my wifes plate to it either. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:09 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

What?! When did this happen? I musta missed a meeting somewhere Sad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Yes, everyone bangs on about it being impossible to travel faster than the speed of light and yet the fabric of space-time can manage it Smile

Star Trek style warp bubbles might actually turn out to be a thing. Not for a while though.

As far as my (limited) knowledge goes, it is still impossible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light through space.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

However...

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Science may not be addressing the important questions!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as my (limited) knowledge goes, it is still impossible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light through space.

Ah but the trick is you don't move the space moves.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

But you couldn't use that for faster-than-light travel to any point other than where you are relative to other objects. So in effect, you don't actually go anywhere, don't leave your local space, except within the confines of light speed.

What it does mean is that beyond a certain point in space/time, we have absolutely no access to, never will have, not with the fastest possible means of transport or communication, not given all eternity, planet-sized telescopes, whatever. So there is a finite limit to our potential knowledge, no matter what advances we make. Knowledge is finite! (I love getting rid of infinity Smile ).

I could be wrong Smile

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not very watm oiut there, and it's ipddelnig it down out there, so I have lit the stove.

A fire, in June! Shocked

But it is nice!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our current understanding is that you can't reach light speed because your mass would become infinite.
There are no rules against how close you can get. Your mass would become very large, but time also moves differently. You could travel great distances in your life time if you got very close to light speed (for example travelling to Alpha Centuri, 4 light years away in just a few weeks). It's just that home on Earth 4 years would have gone by.

There is something called quantum entanglement (which I don't really understand) where particles are paired, and once one shows its true colours the other does the opposite. This 'information' travels instantaneously which is a bit weird.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Our current understanding is that you can't reach light speed because your mass would become infinite.
There are no rules against how close you can get. Your mass would become very large, but time also moves differently. You could travel great distances in your life time if you got very close to light speed (for example travelling to Alpha Centuri, 4 light years away in just a few weeks). It's just that home on Earth 4 years would have gone by.

There is something called quantum entanglement (which I don't really understand) where particles are paired, and once one shows its true colours the other does the opposite. This 'information' travels instantaneously which is a bit weird.

I'm beginning to get the impression that has something to do with the Higgs boson, which gives mass to objects/particles. I heard it described as everywhere in space we go, it's like we are travelling through a swimming pool of molasses, the Higgs being present everywhere. Something like the faster you go, the more you interact with the Higgs, or the more Higgs you interact with.

Quantum entanglement has no relevance to us if we're talking beyond that point which light isn't fast enough to reach, or from which light isn't fast enough to ever reach us, since the space it was 'generated' in is moving away from us faster than the light can get here. It's like talking about infinity - effectively meaningless.

I could be wrong Smile

Yes, wait a minute! What if two particles were entangled before the two points of space reached more than light speed differential?

But if not, we can never know if one of the entangled pair is behaving in a linked manner to the other across this 'boundary'.

I could be wrong Very Happy

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

But you couldn't use that for faster-than-light travel to any point other than where you are relative to other objects. So in effect, you don't actually go anywhere, don't leave your local space, except within the confines of light speed.

What it does mean is that beyond a certain point in space/time, we have absolutely no access to, never will have, not with the fastest possible means of transport or communication, not given all eternity, planet-sized telescopes, whatever. So there is a finite limit to our potential knowledge, no matter what advances we make. Knowledge is finite! (I love getting rid of infinity Smile ).

I could be wrong Smile

It's been theorised that you can...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

So you could well be... Razz

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

So you could well be...RIGHT! Razz

...judging by the apparent holes in the theory, and that's just according to that article Mr. Green

The "trillion year effect", as I heard it described - I can claim what I like in such theories, as there'll be no one around to say I was wrong Very Happy

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

So you could well be...RIGHT! Razz

...judging by the apparent holes in the theory,

Black holes or wormholes?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Black holes or wormholes?

Black holes cannot contain entire universes, as they have measurable mass of too small an order.
Also, as an outside observer, nothing can be seen to cross the event horizon of a black hole, as space/time is distorted so it just looks like things slow down more and more as they approach.

In other words, I can't answer that, so I'll just digress Laughing

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay it rained more or less all day, however I was riding my black
Inazuma 250, it's the first time I've taken her out in all day rain and she
handled so well. Seems like the Inazuma is a perfect all rounder for me,
thankfully I have 2 of them. Gears well oiled, Cool

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 10 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

In Cyprus, never seen them in UK. May have to book extra luggage to bring plenty of them back.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Aldi (or Lidl) sell cherry jaffa cakes

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:11 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important discovery.

See if you can spot Worcester sauce flavour Twiglets too please.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong Smile

I think I am wrong here. I haven't yet got my head around why I might be wrong, and there is some argument, and points still to be addressed.

But generally speaking, science oils my gears Smile

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victoria Derbyshire and her Freudian slip.

https://youtu.be/tYocVFUncys
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 222, 223, 224 ... 335, 336, 337  Next
Page 223 of 337