Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So... What oiled your gears today? ARCHIVE

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 302, 303, 304 ... 335, 336, 337  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Went to Sywell aerodrome for a meal with friends organised by wifie.

It's a fully working airfield with fabulous 30's style buildings where the restaurant is. The food was good but the topping on the cake was a 2 seater Spitfire and Mustang courtesy of 'Warbirds'.

The smell and sound when they fired up that Merlin engine. Wub

And you too can fly in a Spitfire for £2500 Shocked

https://i.postimg.cc/0ydyxv6j/IMG-20200912-145206838-BURST001.jpg

https://www.warbirdflights.co.uk/

https://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/

Mate of mine is a volunteer for Aero Legends, out of North Weald I think ... he gets to dick about on those sort of things quite a lot and is always sending me pictures of himself looking smug in his overalls, in and amongst various elderly aeroplanes of note Laughing

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:08 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

It's a fully working airfield with fabulous 30's style buildings where the restaurant is. The food was good but the topping on the cake was a 2 seater Spitfire and Mustang courtesy of 'Warbirds'.

we went to see 'Just Jane' a couple of years ago and watching the pilot fighting to keep her on the taxi way was amazing, with those 4 Merlin engines at half power she looked like she just wanted to get up and go

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

growler wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

we went to see 'Just Jane' a couple of years ago and watching the pilot fighting to keep her on the taxi way was amazing, with those 4 Merlin engines at half power she looked like she just wanted to get up and go

At East Kirkby?
They now have the Mossie taxying as well

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s the little things in life.
I’ve now got a log-book for ‘Project Scrappy Hyosung’ Smile
That meant today I was able to get a number plate for it, yay!

Completely legal and above board Very Happy .

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumastic "standard black".

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo! Tar-gun fun in the Reijubobbins household tonight.
Cool

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm getting the cold shoulder from the military type.
Which is a shame, cos ... y'know. Kind of quite nice.
And I understand why. Shifty so I'm not freaking out.

But then again ... I need the distance, there's a lot going on psychiatrically that I can do without.
Happy enough to keep an arms-length thing going on there.
We'll see.

Unbothered.
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little old lady neighbour just showed up with a tupperware box of rice.

CARBS CENTRAL!
I've just managed to eat properly enough to go keto ... and she brings me carbs-on-rice.

Rice with potato in it, and peas.
Nothing else.
But so delicately spiced. I can't decide what flavour it is. But its very nice indeed.

She said kind of apologetically but not really that her husband likes butter, and ghee, so theres Quite a Lot of Butter in it.
I tried to keep a straight face when I told her I'm sure that would be fine.

I'm trying to tell myself they are healthy carbs.
Vegetarian carbs
Fresh food carbs. Very Happy Thumbs Up

Delicious carbs *snuffle*

Edit: Its nutmeg, I reckon. I went back to finish it off just now, and its gone cold so the flavour is more pronounced.
Thought it was cassia/cinnamon at first.
But in fact, just now its dawned on me that it was nutmeg.
Slightly peppery.
Awesome. Cool

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Mate of mine is a volunteer for Aero Legends, out of North Weald I think ... he gets to dick about on those sort of things quite a lot and is always sending me pictures of himself looking smug in his overalls, in and amongst various elderly aeroplanes of note Laughing

I worked on the restoration flight at North Weald with the ATC as a lad Smile
Much polishing of the North American Harvard, scrubbing the airframe of the ex Battle of Britain movie Hurricane replica with wire brushes etc.
On a lunch break, me and a mate went wandering over to the old aircraft dispersal points and we did find an abandoned stash of glass laboratory ware - test tubes, flasks, gas chambers (those wide glass tubes with a tap at each end) etc. It was all laying among broken bits of masonry, dust and rubbish inside the protective mounds around where fighters were once tethered against attacks by enemy aircraft. We grabbed a load and took it back to our chemistry teacher at school Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:56 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
With the best will in the world these planes won't fly that much longer I doubt, they are 70 years old now.

I don't know about that. Some WW2 aircraft have been restored from states you wouldn't have held out any hope for. There are some very highly skilled technicians that restore and keep these things going. You can see them at work sometimes at Duxford, and they are quite capable of manufacturing new parts from scratch, or they might farm such work out to engineering firms to do. It's just a question of having the funds, which come from the public among other sources. Well worth supporting in my view.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:59 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

At East Kirkby?
They now have the Mossie taxying as well

Great news. They were always a favourite of mine.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:41 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know that Pegasus was a some sort of an enginey thing.
Now I do.
I am happy to know this.

What I am not so happy to know is that I am competing with it for somebody's attention.

MY TITS ARE COMPETING WITH IT AND THEY ARE LOSING.
My gears should be ground, but in fact this has caused me to have further insight into the male psyche

So that's okay Laughing
I'll just get on with the fucking flower arranging and the cooking, then shall I.
Rolling Eyes

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:24 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Now I do.
I am happy to know this.

What I am not so happy to know is that I am competing with it for somebody's attention.

My gears should be ground, but in fact this has caused me to have further insight into the male psyche

So that's okay Laughing
I'll just get on with the fucking flower arranging and the cooking, then shall I.
Rolling Eyes

While you’re in the kitchen, make us all a cup of tea Thumbs Up Laughing

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:48 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt have to go to court to plead today cos corona. I dont have it, but risk assesment or whatever..

Blunt for breakfast. Laughing

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

We're often buzzed by them, I'm only about 3 miles away. Anothe oldie had a bit of an oops moment there last week.

https://i2-prod.bristolpost.co.uk/incoming/article4478941.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/0_updated-plane-c-561878.jpg

https://www.northantslive.news/news/northamptonshire-news/gallery/sywell-aerodrome-crash-pictures-show-4479046
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, my gears were oiled by the receipt of £3k for a PPI compensation payout that's been dragging on for over a year Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
With the best will in the world these planes won't fly that much longer I doubt, they are 70 years old now.

I don't know about that. Some WW2 aircraft have been restored from states you wouldn't have held out any hope for. There are some very highly skilled technicians that restore and keep these things going. You can see them at work sometimes at Duxford, and they are quite capable of manufacturing new parts from scratch, or they might farm such work out to engineering firms to do. It's just a question of having the funds, which come from the public among other sources. Well worth supporting in my view.

I'm sure there are. I was involved with restoration on HMS Victory many years ago. Nothing special, just basically cadet labour when I was in MN college. One thing amazed me was how little of the Victory was still from when she was Nelsons flagship, as little as 20% after extensive restoration during the Victorian era.

So my question is when does a plane/boat/car/motorcycle stop being an original and start being a replica?

Take ss. Great Britain. The hull is original and preserved, everything elseincluding the engine is a replica.

Saying that I don't really care. I know I K Brunell stood and watched the Great Britain being built. Nelson died on that ship in Portsmouth and brave young men flew and died in those WW1 and WW2 planes.

I love our countrys history.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:36 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Then show the proper respect for its grammar.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Then show the proper respect for its grammar.

Piss off.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never knew my grammars. Nor my grandars.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the whole office to myself today.
Managed to achieve things for a change.
That's a very gratifying thing in the NHS.
Very fucking rare.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
hellkat wrote:
Now I do.
I am happy to know this.

So that's okay Laughing
Rolling Eyes

While you’re in the kitchen, make us all a cup of tea Thumbs Up Laughing

Agreed, milk and 2 sugars, kfanxbai.

ಠ_ಠ

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

I reckon that'll polish out.

Polarbear wrote:
So my question is when does a plane/boat/car/motorcycle stop being an original and start being a replica?

I don't think it matters that much. I'll take an accurate replica of a Spitfire over no Spitfire at all, especially if I get to hear that Merlin engine sound, and see the grace and poise of the thing in the air. It still reminds us of a glorious part of our history. And God knows, there are some people who could do with being reminded as often as possible.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally plucked up the energy to cook a celeriac and see what happened. Fucking ugly looking thing, more ugly than a swede, and looks overly fibrous. Bugger to peel but no more difficult than a swede in the grand scheme of things.

Turns out, its delicious as mash, with horseradish and ground black pepper.

Slightly "lumpy" in the same way that carrots and parsnips are when you mash them, and apparently you can sieve it to make it more "puree" for various things, like soup etc.

But wow. Even on its own: interesting flavour.
Like a cross between parsnips and celery flavour.

I saw a recipe for celeriac soup with chorizo and [something bland and green], with a lovely red slick of chorizo oil. Now I can't wait to try it out.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I saw a recipe for celeriac soup with chorizo and [something bland and green], with a lovely red slick of chorizo oil. Now I can't wait to try it out.

Tut Tut That's cheating. Everything tastes good with chorizo in it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 216 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 302, 303, 304 ... 335, 336, 337  Next
Page 303 of 337