Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So... What oiled your gears today? ARCHIVE

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 335, 336, 337  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: So... What oiled your gears today? ARCHIVE Reply with quote

Just as a more positive version of the other thread, what oiled your gears today?

A few things oiling mine today.

1. Weather changed from grim and overcast this morning to really warm and sunny with blue skies all afternoon.

2. I have ribeye steak, eggs and chips for dinner with a couple of nice bottles of ice cold Cobra.

3. Just had a nice solo ride out to the Cotswolds with no attempts on my life to make a change,
also I managed my first wheelie over a foot. Mr. Green I totally wish I'd had my Ghost cam with me today
to catch it on film. The landing wasn't as smooth as I'd have hoped for though, but just about nailed it anyway.
I honestly didn't think my bike could do it on throttle input alone so quite surprised.

4. Mrs grr said she will cough up for wheelie school to stop me trying too hard on my own bike and wrecking it.
Hopefully on the 30th of August, she said she'd come and watch and we could make a weekend of it. Very Happy

All in all, a good day. Thumbs Up

So after all the doom, gloom and fuckwittery in the other thread, what's made your day better?
Fidge This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally replaced the lavvy seat thats been broken for a year
rebuilt a Fender Jazz Bass and replaced the pickups and restrung it (plays nice)
restrung my Finlayson Acoustic (sounds great) and about to rewire a 67 strat from Scratch for a mate Thumbs Up

for a Sunday a very productive day for me
next it will be Beer, Bud and a movie Thumbs Up

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.

Arrow Managed to finish work at 12 meanwhile everyone else works until about 4 or 5, I'm so hated on a Sunday Very Happy Thumbs Up

Arrow Continued the book I'm writing and finally got round to finishing the first draft, starting the editing and still way more needing to be added but a weight of the shoulders to get a rough sketch on what to work with, now, attempting to find a publisher and submitting a draft is a long way off, should be fun.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My homemade beef jerky appears to be progressing well. This is my first attempt. Another half an hour and I reckon it'll be spot on.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Arrow Continued the book I'm writing and finally got round to finishing the first draft, starting the editing and still way more needing to be added but a weight of the shoulders to get a rough sketch on what to work with, now, attempting to find a publisher and submitting a draft is a long way off, should be fun.

That's something I've always wanted to do, but have no idea how to actually write out a full book, or what stage you need to be at before a publisher would be interested.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
That's something I've always wanted to do, but have no idea how to actually write out a full book, or what stage you need to be at before a publisher would be interested.

I have three i'm currently working on, two are slightly autobiographies while working for a company that's now closed than ran since the sixties on and off.. bit of local history from an inside point and view, and the other is my first attempt at an actual story, that is on hold as I have bad memory and keep forgetting what it's about, I find making notes in a separate document summarizing what each chapter is about after I've finished writing it helps alot, just read the notes and pick it up from there.

(1) I've put on hold (2) is the story also on hold (3) i'm working on and plan to submit all are my first ever attempts at writing and I'm just another average joe doing it in my spare time on my computer hoping someone somewhere will like what I write, I don't have any actual experience in the writing world, yet, hopefully.

I found that having a small collection of books on hand to answer small questions like "how should I lay out this chapter" or "what does this look like in print", it's annoying that most books are printed in Times New Roman or similar fonts and therefore it's really about the content and the writing that makes the difference, on the surface it's a very long process for popular books selling at £3-4 on amazon, it has to be something you enjoy to start out with rather than aiming for a source of income.

My aim is to get my current project to the point where I feel it's good enough to submit, I don't have any publishers contact details at present and therefore will leave all that until much latter on.

As to how to write one, as I say I haven't ever attempted to submit one yet, but I'm using these as a guide.

One

Two

Three (haven't read this one, skim shows some helpful tips)

Four

PS: Line spacing I believe is 1.0 not 2.0 as some websites say I think that applies to typewriters, again, I'll find out if I ever get round to submitting.

I also found this forum not a member yet.. but may come in handy down the line or to read any questions you have.

Do all your research and if you're planning to write anything but an autobiography (where you know what happens because it's happened IRL and you just need to remember it) then plan it out in word before hand down to the dot, from start to finish.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Mrs grrs dad has written about 7 books now. He writes under the pseudonom Nicholas Carter. Those books are
mostly about the English civil war but he's also written a couple of fantasy novels under his actual name too.
For many years he was a daily newspaper journalist and editor so writing is something that comes easy to him.
It's not made him wealthy though, he keeps asking if he can come and work for me. Laughing His first wife, my wifes late mother
was also a reporter so there's quite a writing background with her family. My mrs works with numbers
day to day but has started her book as well, I'm not allowed to read it until it's finished but apparently there's
a character in it based on me. Embarassed

Stick with it! Thumbs Up

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out Breaky in bed oils the Mrs gears.

Not even my birthday Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and saw the Vulcan at the RIAT, and I went on my bike so sailed past about a million cars stuck in traffic. Happy days.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late entry...

2 episodes of Family Guy I haven't seen on BBC2, AND I'm a bit drunk while watching them so twice as funny.

Also just found a whole tub of Strawberry Cheesecake Haagen Daaz in the freezer. Working my way through that now.

Possibly may be a bit Sick later. Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:

You just start writing. They always say "write what you know", but (when I was writing) I tended to find I wrote whatever the hell was in my head, crash it all out till I was spent, and then research stuff and plan the proper storyline, and somehow fit it in around what I had written, later on.

I started this serial killers book ages ago, lost interest, fired off a series of "vignettes" to kickstart the ideas about each serial killer, and now haven't got the energy to link them all together and finish the damn thing.

I currently have a head stuffed full of ideas, 4 books in my head waiting to be written, just can't get them all out into the right places at the right time. Mad Brick Wall

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
but have no idea ... what stage you need to be at before a publisher would be interested.

Traditional publishers only really like to see
(1) a precis of what the book is about.
(2) a finished draft, spotless, as few errors as possible, double spaced with decent margins.

And even then they don't usually bother to read it unless its been recommended by an agent they trust.

About 20 years ago I managed to get a publisher to read a manuscript I wrote, but I made the fatal mistake of killing off the "hero" right in the last paragraph: badabing! : Big mafia shoot out in the last 2 pages ... I guess the publisher didn't like that ending very much... Thinking

Can't remember why I didn't follow it up or attempt to rewrite it, I think maybe I moved house, never got a response from them, had other things (divorce) going on anyway by then. Then the disk that the manuscript was written on got corrupted (bad old days of floppy disks) and I didn't have the heart to start again.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 19 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't think of what's oiled my gears today, usually there is something (I was revoltingly good at that #100happy days picture thing), but today has been a bit of a not-very exciting day. Might take the Prez to bed, see if events take a more entertaining turn Laughing

hellkat out Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:21 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
NJD wrote:

I think you'd both find Stephen King's "On Writing" interesting, maybe even helpful. It's a good read even if you aren't interested in writing a book yourself, but a few tips and ideas from a world bestseller can't go amiss.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

yesterday it was a nice homemade chicken and veg pie for tea Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:22 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice range of entries so far. Wink Your entry could be anything at all. Like finding a tenner, or having a win at the
bookies, shagging that girl/guy you've been after, finally getting the bathroom tiled, promotion at work,
having a nice stroll in the sunshine, scoring a bag of weed after a dry spell, booking up your hols, getting
out for a blat on your bike, seeing a fit bird on the bus, taking a day off work, repairing or modding the bike, whatever really....
Pretty much anything goes, don't be shy. Usual BCF rules apply, as long as it made your day better, then stick it in,
whatever it is. Oooer missus...
Keep 'em coming. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

All I would say is let's keep it safe for work folks.
Pics are welcome but no dodgy ones please.

Last edited by grr666 on 09:48 - 20 Jul 2015; edited 1 time in total

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

was meant to be going shopping with the missus Twisted Evil

but she has a hangover and doesn't want to go Laughing Laughing Laughing

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's oily gears come courtesy of a day off of work. I worked from Sunday to Friday last week at a customer experience event, starting at 6 am and finishing most nights around 11:30. This is way beyond my contracted hours, so I was told to stay home today. I'm off out on the bike in a minute.

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:51 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Saturday I got to my volunteering job and had an extra lemur waiting for me.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/philr46/08dc0b93-a6e2-4ec2-8738-410de78f1fe1_zps4n0fx8qt.jpg

Then yesterday I had free entry into Brands Hatch to sit in the sun watching bikes go around really fast.

Today I am going to use as much work time as I can to watch live golf.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedPanda wrote:

Best post evah!

No-one can beat an extra lemur.

Jealous Sick

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hear the just built 3d printer whirring away upstairs (first run), it'll keep Mr Hedgehugger happy.
Just need to find some very useful stuff to print. He's got a million and one things he wants to print out, best I can come up with is a bird feeder.

This week I discovered a hedgehog visits my garden. I haven't seen a live one for years so
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up all 'round Smile

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 11:47 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold something for £3000 more than I paid for it.

oh and sold another thing for £500 more than I paid for it.

And bought a new Hughes and Kettner Valve amp.

Today has been a good day.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:20 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
And bought a new Hughes and Kettner Valve amp.

Which one Mr. Green

BigShow
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:16 - 20 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone whose had a few books published. When she has a new idea, she says all she does is write up a brief synopsis of the story and a short extract and then sends that to every single publisher/agent she can find.

She doesn't start writing anything at all until someone is interested.

I have no idea if this is normal practice but I guess it saves her wasting her time by writing an entire novel that no one wants to publish.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 244 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 335, 336, 337  Next
Page 1 of 337