andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 23 Jul 2015    Post subject: Daft question Reply with quote

Bought myself a hybrid bike

Pretty much only use it on canal paths as feel unsafe on the roads

Can you just stick a set of mtb wheels on

As long as its the same amount of gears obviously

Or are forks and rear forks different
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:57 - 23 Jul 2015    Post subject: Re: Daft question Reply with quote

You shouldn't need to change wheels - just change the tyres.

You'll be able to get more dirt-focused tyres regardless of the wheel size (a more road focused hybrid will have 700c/29" wheels, while others may have 26" or newer ones the new 27.5" standard for mountain bikes.)

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 21 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot this thread til yesterday Embarassed

checked wheels on the bike they are 28 inch

looked to buy tyres in that size and nothing Twisted Evil

shouldn't of trusted Halfords

when I bought it I said what I wanted it for

canal paths and some road bits he said the hybrid would be fine

the two times I rode it down the canal path my wife had to collect me as punctured tyres both times Twisted Evil

am now looking for a cheap mountain bike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:05 - 21 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will be 700c wheels. You've got lots of choices.

Were your tyres inflated enough? I've ridden canal paths and more on a cyclocross bike (which will have the same size but skinnier tyres) and the only time I've had punctures was when my tyres weren't inflated enough (and I messed up a bunny hop and hit a kerb wrong).

What with are the tyres?

28" = 700c = 29" (but for mountain bikes, road bikes they are often listed at 28).

Something like this maybe... www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291289314421

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 21 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

the two times I rode it down the canal path my wife had to collect me as punctured tyres both times Twisted Evil

Buy your wife a puncture repair kit, that way you can finish your cycling trip Razz

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:16 - 21 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you got pinch flats (like two little cuts on the tube?) which is the rim bottoming out on a bump and trapping the tube in it. If it was this and your tyres were pumped up properly, MTB tyres should solve the problem. If they weren't pumped up properly, do this first.

MTB tyres aren't really any better at resisting penetrating object punctures than road tyres, possibly worse in some cases.

They will be 622 rims (look in the brackets near the tyre size). This is the same as 700c, 28" and 29" (bicycle wheel are listed by their outside diameter with the tyre on, all those sizes use a 622mm diameter rim).

So (depending on width) you ought to be able to fit either to your rims.

One possible problem if you want to fit MTB tyres is the clearance between the chanistays. There is usually a "pinch" where the tyre sits. Changing from a 28" hybrid tyre to a 29" MTB tyre moves this point by 1/2" and the tyre can rub on the chainstay which will wear through it in a surprisingly short time.

So just check the clearance first and expect to use very skinny tyres.

700c cyclocross tyres have loads more grip but no greater a clearance from the rim so if it's pinch flats you're getting, they aren't great. I was using these offroad on my hybrid conversion for a while but kept getting pinch flats going over rocks.

I eventually fitted a set of Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres. They do a 29 x 1.75, which is pretty much the skinniest 29er MTB tyre you can get and schwalbes are really puncture resistant.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1