Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ER6 low compression

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 01 Aug 2015    Post subject: ER6 low compression Reply with quote

Evening chaps

ER6 engine with about 60k on it. Was running fine in daily use, not been used for 10-14 days won't start. Fuel pump seems fine, strong spark but compression measures as 120 on left and barely 60 on the right.
Minimum recommended compression is 139psi.

Engine has always been serviced in line with Kawasaki's recommendations using genuine filters and synthetic oil

So before I check the valves and possibly start stripping it tomorrow who wants to suggest an educated cause?

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 02 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quickest thing to check would probably be the valve clearances, or the 'teaspoon of oil down the sparkplug hole' trick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 02 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, if had been left for ages I'd say stuck rings, unlikely after such a short period of time.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:11 - 02 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't seem to have much luck with Kawasaki parallel twins.

The only possibility that comes to mind - outside of mechanical problems inside the engine - is one of the throttle butterflies not opening. I don't think this would cause such big variances in compression though.

It is also possible that the first few threads of the spark plug hole are knackered on one side and the tester isn't achieving a good seal.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 04:07 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the engoine apart this weekend and its a valve problem. The Right hand cylinder is running consoderably hotter than the left which with the low compression suggests an air leak possibly from a piece of carbon caught under a valve head.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Odds%20and%20ends/20150809_210346.jpg

In fact the right hand cylinder is so hot it has burnt away most of the carbon deposits.

Next step will be to pull all the valves and take a look at whats going on under them.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:47 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You going to clean up all that carbon before pulling the valves?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:01 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
You going to clean up all that carbon before pulling the valves?

Yep, the piston tops are covered with loose carbon so I'm betting theres some under the valves as well.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. For cleaning valves I usually turn up a split bush from ally that fits over the stem, then clamp that in the chuck of my lathe. I spin it up and clean them by hand using a scraping tool and a tool rest. It strips the crap off the face and the back of the valve without scratching the metal.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems like a lot of carbon deposits for a 60'000m modern engine with EFI and run on todays fuel etc?

I do wonder over 60k would there be a significantly lower amount of deposits if a motor was run on an expensive fuel with all the extra detergents, like BP Ultimate etc?

Oh and as for stuck/sticking rings from long term storage, could this really reduce compression from say 120psi to 60psi??

My old ZX6R may have suffered from sticking rings after I left it 4years in a garage. Embarassed But with fresh oil and fuel it started without too much bother, but only started smoking a bit after 100miles or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 15 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
That seems like a lot of carbon deposits for a 60'000m modern engine with EFI and run on todays fuel etc?

Not really, combustion is a messy business.

stevo as b4 wrote:
I do wonder over 60k would there be a significantly lower amount of deposits if a motor was run on an expensive fuel with all the extra detergents, like BP Ultimate etc?

In my experince it makes vitually no difference.

stevo as b4 wrote:
Oh and as for stuck/sticking rings from long term storage, could this really reduce compression from say 120psi to 60psi??

Yes its perfectly possible.

stevo as b4 wrote:
My old ZX6R may have suffered from sticking rings after I left it 4years in a garage. Embarassed But with fresh oil and fuel it started without too much bother, but only started smoking a bit after 100miles or so.

Likely a mixture of rings and valve stem seals.

Okay so I have petrol tested the head and it is weeping slightly from the inlets and pissing from the exhaust valves so its due a good head job. Will drop round to see Matt Walsh at London Cylinder heads and see what he says although I suspect that we will be replacing the exhaust valves on the right hand cylinder as a precaution.

316lad
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:30 - 15 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Had the engoine apart this weekend and its a valve problem. The Right hand cylinder is running consoderably hotter than the left which with the low compression suggests an air leak possibly from a piece of carbon caught under a valve head.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Odds%20and%20ends/20150809_210346.jpg

In fact the right hand cylinder is so hot it has burnt away most of the carbon deposits.

Next step will be to pull all the valves and take a look at whats going on under them.

Yes, the right hand's defo running lean.

Difficult to diagnose without a thorough de-carbon of all moving parts concerned though.

It needs it anyway, before anything else.

(Those sparklers look tiny in there big bore boy! 8o)

316lad
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:34 - 15 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Yes, the right hand's defo running lean.

Difficult to diagnose without a thorough de-carbon of all moving parts concerned though.

It needs it anyway, before anything else.

(Those sparklers look tiny in there big bore boy! 8o)

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:48 - 16 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pup, given your ever increasing track record, have you considered a move away from Kawasaki twins into something you might break less often.

You seem to have rare and expensive problems with them.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 16 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Pup, given your ever increasing track record, have you considered a move away from Kawasaki twins into something you might break less often.

You seem to have rare and expensive problems with them.

It is true I do. I also have problems getting people to pick up radiator fans and screens. Wink

So got the head apart and this is the state of the valves...

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Odds%20and%20ends/20150815_191528.jpg

As you can see the inlets aren't too bad, they would last a fair while longer before needing redressing, the exhaust valves though are a mess. The valves should all have a ring of shiney metal where they contact the seats and the constant contact should keep them clean which hasn't happened here.

A close up of the exhaust valve shows just how bad they are...

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Odds%20and%20ends/20150815_191547.jpg

Heres the exhaust valve seat...

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Odds%20and%20ends/20150815_191649.jpg

So as you can see, no clear shiney band on either the seat or valve so no gas tight seal even under pressure of combustion.

The inlet seats are better but not by much...

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Odds%20and%20ends/20150815_191705.jpg

It is usual for the exhaust to be rougher than the inlet but generally not to this degree.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 16 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about the running condition going by the colour of the vales, because that's going to change when it's been worked over anyway. I'd be worrying about how deep you're going to have to cut the seats in the head to get rid of all the pitting.

Can the head shop press in new seats?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 16 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the running condition going by the colour of the vales, because that's going to change when it's been worked over anyway. I'd be worrying about how deep you're going to have to cut the seats in the head to get rid of all the pitting.

Its not pitting as such, looks more like deposits but yes it does concern me how much we have to play with.

Pete. wrote:
Can the head shop press in new seats?

They can but I also have a spare damaged engine if required.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:33 - 16 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
It is true I do. I also have problems getting people to pick up radiator fans and screens.

Balls, meant to get back to you on those. I don't need them now, NTV is sold and replaced with a VFR750.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 16 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't believe that that's a 60k engine, especially as it's an EFI lump that technically should not overfuel like a badly set up bank of carbs etc.

Do you think the exhaust valves have been held off their seat by all the deposits that has then caused both the low compression and also the burning and pitting of the seats?

Oh and if you really think that the average modern injected four stroke bike engine will look that coked up inside after 60k, if ever I own another, I'll be chucking in bottles of fuel system cleaner, and spraying water down the throttle bodies with the engine running every 10k or so to try and steam clean the chambers.

I don't like to think my old ZX6 could have had fucked valve stem seals after 4years unused in a dry garage? It had 2000mile oil and filter changes, and I was always told that 4stroke engines with lots of clean oil in them, leave the internals coated in a nice film of lube for a very long time even when sat unused.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 17 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I still can't believe that that's a 60k engine, especially as it's an EFI lump that technically should not overfuel like a badly set up bank of carbs etc.

In this respect carbs are better as once set they are set. Fi on the other hand continually tries to optimise even if values are wrong.

stevo as b4 wrote:
Do you think the exhaust valves have been held off their seat by all the deposits that has then caused both the low compression and also the burning and pitting of the seats?

Mentioned this earlier, possible bit of carbon. But I have the full reason below...

stevo as b4 wrote:
Oh and if you really think that the average modern injected four stroke bike engine will look that coked up inside after 60k, if ever I own another, I'll be chucking in bottles of fuel system cleaner, and spraying water down the throttle bodies with the engine running every 10k or so to try and steam clean the chambers.

It won't work and if you are really unlucky it will and all those loose bits of carbon will kill your engine.

stevo as b4 wrote:
I don't like to think my old ZX6 could have had fucked valve stem seals after 4years unused in a dry garage? It had 2000mile oil and filter changes, and I was always told that 4stroke engines with lots of clean oil in them, leave the internals coated in a nice film of lube for a very long time even when sat unused.

Thats pretty much rubbish I'm afraid. There are specific oils manufactured for engines that aren't being used such as new or re-cons called iirc preservation oils. Commonly used in aircraft but less common in automotive applications.

If the valve stem seals failed it would be because the rubber went hard and took a set.

So I've been to the cylinder head chap and we've had a chat. His opinion is the exhaust valve guides are shot and that has promoted bad seating of the valves getting worse as more deposits are left. He is surprised at the amount of wear and wouldn't expect it at such a low mileage but engines are becoming a throw away part. He also said that it could simply be down to modern petrol and the additives such as ethanol taking their toll as engines aren't really designed for it.
He believes the valves should be fine but we need to compare them against new guides before a final decision is made.

Matt has said he should theoretically be able to get away with removing 0.005mm of metal from each surface to cut the seats and redress the valves so taking a total of 0.010 and after checking with Kawasaki we have just over 0.5mm-0.75mm to work with so hopefully we can get away with this. Lets hope it works.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 18 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The head is now back and looks a lot better. It's had all the work done including a 0.015mm skim.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Odds%20and%20ends/IMG-20150918-WA0015.jpeg

New guides in place.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Odds%20and%20ends/IMG-20150918-WA0006.jpeg

Exhaust seats sorted.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Odds%20and%20ends/IMG-20150918-WA0013.jpeg

Exhaust valves redressed.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Odds%20and%20ends/IMG-20150918-WA0010.jpeg

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 18 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil burner? Ive never seen deposits like that on an engine that doesnt burn a good quantity of oil, and mine had a lot more miles.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 18 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Oil burner? Ive never seen deposits like that on an engine that doesnt burn a good quantity of oil, and mine had a lot more miles.

No it wasn't an oil burner. These engines do use oil as they have a small capacity, less than 2 litres and long oil changes, 7500mls but no it didn't smoke at all.

That is pretty much what a modern engine looks like after 60k, nothing unusual in it at all.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 18 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal engines don't look like that, but it does seem a common problem for ER6's.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 18 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Normal engines don't look like that, but it does seem a common problem for ER6's.

They do when they reach mileage but hey you know best, in fact you always know best because you've actually stripped and rebuilt lots of engines what with having worked as a mechanic and service manager so I will bow to your wisdom in this...

Lets not forget this engine is being stripped because it has valve guides that are worn and exhaust valves that aren't sealing.

And where are all these badly running coked up ER6's you refer to anyway?
kramdra This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2