Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gas Gas 250 Trail Bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Littlebt
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:09 - 03 Aug 2015    Post subject: Gas Gas 250 Trail Bike Reply with quote

Hi, I have a Gas Gas 250 Trail bike that has done less than 1000 miles,I intend to now use it on the road in order to get some use out of it as it's still like brand new even though it's years old.

Could someone advise the best road tyres I could put on.

Many Thanks.

Littlebt
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:37 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Tyres Reply with quote

Does anybody actually look at this forum??

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, people do look, but we don't look like once every 12 hours
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:44 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Re: Gas Gas 250 Trail Bike Reply with quote

Perhaps you should specify which trail bike you have?

Also, what sort of riding you are planning to do?

Littlebt
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:10 - 10 Aug 2015    Post subject: Gas Gas Reply with quote

I thought I had specified, Gas Gas 250 ,Road use !

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:09 - 10 Aug 2015    Post subject: Re: Gas Gas Reply with quote

Littlebt wrote:
I thought I had specified, Gas Gas 250 ,Road use !
That's not a bike; that's a manufacturer and a capacity. There's a variety of bikes made by that company thar are 250cc.
Road riding could mean anything from touring the world to doing stunts in an industrial estate.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:44 - 10 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a model. Do you have tyre sizes as well? Is it a Pampera 250 by any chance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Littlebt
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:20 - 10 Aug 2015    Post subject: Gas Gas Reply with quote

[quote="MarJay"]We need a model. Do you have tyre sizes as well? Is it a Pampera 250 by any chance?[/quote

Sorry I didn't realise GasGas had anything other than Trail and Trials Models.

Yes it is a Pampera,I don't know the tyre size and don't have access to it at the moment as its in Spain.

I intend to use it as a bit of a runabout in that I can have a run out of 50/70 miles into the countryside nothing outlandish but the roads can be especially slippy, no rain for months and then a downpour equates to roads that you need to be constantly aware of hence the current trail/knobbly tyres aren't suited.

Any guidance appreciated.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 10 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume it's std 21/18" wheels, and the rear tyre would be a 4.10 section or similar.

I like the Continental radial classic attack tyres on my KMX. They are really grippy and have a stiff sidewall with being tubeless fitment.

There's lots of options, and you would probably find a road biased trail bike tyre is the best bet and more than grippy enough too. Id be looking at the Conti escape, and Pirelli MT90 maybe as examples.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 08:50 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I presume it's std 21/18" wheels, and the rear tyre would be a 4.10 section or similar.

Yep.

If some slight off road use was still needed, I like the Sahara 3. But there are more road-focused ones.

I'm not sure a 250 Pamp' would be my choice for doing those distances. Ok around town etc. I'd consider some up-gearing.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:58 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pampera is rubbish on road. Maximum speed of 55mph, and it weaves over 50.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:07 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Pampera is rubbish on road. Maximum speed of 55mph, and it weaves over 50.

Part of that is likely the tyres on it - the 690 got interesting weaves on with a motocross front and enduro rear.
Fine at 108 on the Autobahn with more road orientated.

With some upgrearing i reckon it could be 'ok', but still wouldn't really be my choice - doesn't make much power at all thanks to the trials-derived lump.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think a 250cc trials engine would still have the pull/power for 70mph on the road with the right gearing and tyres?

However if OP is just using the bike when out in Spain for pottering around or nipping to the shops, beach, countryside etc then 55mph is probably enough!

Best thing I like about riding abroad in general is that people don't go fast (60mph is always enough) and no one is in a rush like we are. As a consequence say a 12bhp 125 always feels adequate there, where as over here when on A-road's, dual carriageway's etc you'd be flat out trying to keep between 60-70mph like everyone else and sometimes feeling underpowered.

I've seen people ride things like GSXR600's and R6's in Spain/Greece/France and on their bigger quieter and smoother roads no one ever seems to want to max out or do stupid overtakes or ride at 100mph like we do?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:09 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going up the Sierra Nevada mountains at a reasonably spirited pace on my 690enduro I had a few sports bikes buzz me at considerably higher speeds.

Plenty of general back roads that offer reasonably smooth tarmac with massively better 'twisty' bits lacking the regular towns of the UK.

Littlebt
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:14 - 14 Aug 2015    Post subject: Gas gas Reply with quote

Thanks for the input greatly appreciated,I think I'm going with the Pirelli MT 90 They definately look to be perfect for my needs.

The gearing is not too bad actually but it's an easy fix if l feel the need to change.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1