Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

3 day first aid course - what to expect?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: 3 day first aid course - what to expect? Reply with quote

Morning,

I've just volunteered to undergo some first aid training at my lab. Involves a three day course whereby I will get a first aid at work certificate.

Anyone done it before know what should I expect? Mouth to mouth on a quadruple amputee, quadriplegic stress relief doll?

Cheers,

INB4 "Dr" - I'm of the laboratory/supercomputers persuasion - you wouldn't want me fixing you when you are borked.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's a big chunk of it.

I'f they're any good they'll tailor the course to some extent to suit the environment you work in, so working in a lab I'd expect to spend more time covering things like chemical burns rather than crush injuries, but they'll all be covered to some extent.

I thoroughly enjoyed my course and honestly still cannot believe more of this stuff isn't drilled in to people from a young age.

The CPR on a drowned man video was pretty full on, but otherwise there isn't much in the way of gory video's or pictures.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much snogging some trout called Annie and a loooong lecture titled 'one million situations where you DON'T need an ambulance'.

Pick a hottie to pair up with, I didn't and I really, really lost out. Sad

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did one a couple of years back for the school of Chemistry but your experience may vary.

Pretty much, learn how to do CPR - this got used by one of our first aiders a week after the course which kept an old giffer alive.

We worked through a big booklet covering breaks sprains burns. How to sort out panic attacks, people feeling faint and cuts n stuff.

They stressed how you much check the environment is safe for you to even attempt to help so you don't go running into a lab that has the low O2 light flashing.

It was enjoyable though so providing you don't get a boring tutor you should enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there loads of physical interaction with the other course participants?

blueglue
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:25 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:

Yes, make sure you have clean socks and pants on each day

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:

Yes, redefine your personal space boundaries before you go. His name might be Igor, and you never know which side kidney he'll be aiming for.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my thumb in a colleagues belly button.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:

You'll get quite close.

We had an exam on an actual person, we walked into a room where there was a person who had a particular injury. You have to look all around the room to make sure it's safe Rolling Eyes Then go and analyse them. Then a separate test on the CPR.

Had an exam, piece o' pi$$. Certificate yay.

I wore some Skinny-ish jeans, there's lots of bending over, wear some clothing you can easily move about in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooooo much less inclined to do it now Laughing .

Must. Stop. Loathing. Humanity... do something good. Don't fight it...

I doubt there is much demand for close physical interaction with a big beardy skin head, so I suspect I'll get picked last by an equally uncomfortable apergers hermit Dance! .

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think day 3 is "Hiding the body"

Dave500
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:34 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:

Pick a hottie to pair up with Sad
Do this and you'll have a great time!

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRAB

Danger (to you or other people, if unsafe retreat and get help)
Response (Give command, if unresponsive (we don't use unconscious any more) call SHOUT for help)
Airway (Tilt head back, check for obstruction, don't poke around in the mouth)
Breathing (look, listen, feel)

Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round.

Visit www.sja.rog.uk or www.redcross.org.uk for helpful info.

Don't be an argumentative know it all, it really frustrates the trainers and fucks up the pace of the course, and usually pisses off other delegates.

Oh and watch out for the person whose very keen to practice 'recovery position'. They usually have wandering hands! Laughing

Lewis - St John trainer

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I echo points about comfortable clothes.

I remember running a course for a load of people at KFC. They had a training room that had carpet. After kneeling to demonstrate CPR I discovered oil patches on my trousers. Oh and nearly stacked it down the stairs. Frying oil gets in the air and coats EVERYTHING!

b422063
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:20 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to what Lew said:

First: How to shout "Help" and dial 999.
After you're determined they're not breathing.
Chest compressions - 30 compressions to 2 breaths (if they teach breaths) probably using a face mask. You *really* don't want to be doing mouth to mouth. Sick
Also when to stop doing compressions (when fatigued or when asked to do so by a qualified person and who is qualified to tell you to stop)
AED - Automatic defibs - How to stick the pads on; how to listen and how to press a button.
Recovery position.

Choking - How to clear it.

Basic wound care: Such as burns and papercuts.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

b422063 wrote:
In addition to what Lew said:

First: How to shout "Help" and dial 999.
After you're determined they're not breathing.
Chest compressions - 30 compressions to 2 breaths (if they teach breaths) probably using a face mask. You *really* don't want to be doing mouth to mouth. Sick
Also when to stop doing compressions (when fatigued or when asked to do so by a qualified person and who is qualified to tell you to stop)
AED - Automatic defibs - How to stick the pads on; how to listen and how to press a button.
Recovery position.

Choking - How to clear it.

Basic wound care: Such as burns and papercuts.

I've done the course several times and never been taught how to use a defib.

Donny: Just relax and go with the flow. You're not expected to do everything right and if/when you do have to spring into action in real life you'll forget half of what they taught you but the training certainly does help. For the most part it's about recognising danger, getting the right help fast and reassuring the casualty.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

b422063
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:57 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

I've done the course several times and never been taught how to use a defib.

They're; not quite but almost; literally everywhere. Why wouldn't they show you what they are and how to use it?

Are they just expecting you to know how to use one should the time arise? They are fucking simple and easy to use, pretty much idiot proof; but I wouldn't want the first time I attempt to use one be in anger. The resus council state: "An AED can be used safely and effectively without previous training."

Now; would you be happy to use one with no training what so ever and I assume you've never really seen one? Let me assure you, in the right patient it could make a huge difference in clinical outcome.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. My trainer made a passing reference to them on my last refresh and said that defib training wasn't part of our course. Perhaps it is specifically added for clients who have them on their premises.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JP7
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 06 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mysteries of the triangular bandage will be revealed to you. I spent an hour learning how to tie them... then instantly forgot how to do it. They remain a mystery to me.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:17 - 06 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP7 wrote:
The mysteries of the triangular bandage will be revealed to you. I spent an hour learning how to tie them... then instantly forgot how to do it. They remain a mystery to me.

Now we get told don't use them. If someone busts their arm and they can hold it comfortably, just tie a normal bandage around it to hold it in that place.

We did Defib. It's an AED though, it won't shock someone to bring them back to life when their heart stops, it searches for a quite irregular heartbeat and shocks it to try and get it steady again.

If there's no pulse, chest compressions and breaths

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 06 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

b422063 wrote:
Are they just expecting you to know how to use one should the time arise?

b422063 wrote:
They are fucking simple and easy to use, pretty much idiot proof
"An AED can be used safely and effectively without previous training."

It looks like you're arguing with yourself there, sport!

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 06 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.redcrossfirstaidtraining.co.uk/Courses/First-aid-at-work-courses-uk-mainland/Scheduled-courses/First-aid-at-work.aspx

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 06 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is anything like the three day FA course I did with LAS it will be fantastic.

It is quite literally the best training I've ever had, but that was mainly down the the immense enthusiasm from the chap taking the course.

Now, I a not squeemish , or at least I didn't think I was until I went on this course.

Other than CPR

They talk you through quote a few 'real' (this happened) accidents and illness and you discuss the best course of action... I almost had to leave the room at one point.

Heart attacks/strokes/diabetes ... OK

But, girl that jumped of a three story building and 'changed her mind' after exit, then lived for two weeks with shattered ankles, shins, knees, hips....

Boy who had inhailed aerosol content and Dad walked in and lit a fag ..... Kid blew up from inside to out.

Etc ...

Then they got us to act out scenarios. Where someone had been prepped with a 'scenario' and we have to go and diagnose it. Think my 'body' was slumped in a corner at the bottom of the stairs..... Unconscious.

It makes you appreciate how very difficult it can be to get it right and what a tough job paramedics and doctors have.

I think there was an exam at the end.

Thankfully, I never had to use my skills despite works for one of the biggest accountancy/finance companies in the world.

It really is fantastic and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I'd love to go again.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 06 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be on a course with loads of people from loads of different work environments, however they sometimes tailor bits of the course.

3 days of Annie action, and +1 to pair up with a hottie. Fortunately the refresh course is only 1 day, still aim for the hotties though. There will be many tea breaks, and biscuits of course. Most don't provide lunch any more though. Thumbs Down

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 06 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can be really useful, they can be a crock of shit. Depends on how its run really.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2