Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Packing my panniers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:56)
View previous topic : View next topic  

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:27 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Packing my panniers Reply with quote

Right, I'm packing my stuff up ready for Bulldog this weekend, and as I tried to squeeze one last pair of knickers into my panniers it occurred to me that, apart from camping stuff and food, I don't really carry much on my bike - especially not pillions.

My other half, however, has a claim to fame that he once took a fridge-freezer home on his bike, an XS500 and a journey of about 3 miles. And he didn't get stopped!

So what's the wierdest thing you've ever carried? Big or small, just looking to hear about the .... odd... stuff really.

aqualung1
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:30 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

rear axle of a landrover on a honda c70

i usually have club gazebo as well as rest on my bike
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:31 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have carried a built up cupboard on my nsr.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:44 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had my minimoto, 3 sets of spare wheels, lots of tyres for it, spare fairing and other minimoto stuff on the back with no problems.

Have had a BBQ on the back again no problems.

Only limitations to what you take on your bike is how many bungees and straps you have. Mr. Green

saxmonster
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:56 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to take my old departed jack russel in my rucksak, with his head sticking out the top. Cool
and mrs sax one carried a tree home on the pillion, if i went over 30 mph she started to get blown off the back. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 02:18 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy on the gsxr somehow managed to carry a aluminium stepladder over his arm to my house when he borrowed it.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 03:05 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

An entire Honda PC50 moped, engine in the throwovers, wheels tied down the sides and frame bungeed accross the back.

My two rats used to travel regularly in my panniers in a buscuit tin with airholes and a chemical handwarmer.

fakeblonde
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:29 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cats in their cat box. All bungeed onto my rack.

All depends how many bungees you have.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.wakeuphate.com/hosted/frosty/sheep.jpg

Owned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

An entire MAG stand (gazebo and table with seating for four, plus 50 Streetbiker magazines, assorted literature, leaflet stands and a twenty foot long MAG banner).

All on the back of my trusty Virago.

Thumbs Up

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 10:24 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two 40 litre rucksacks - stuffed to the brim with wetsuits, clothes, and Portugese Pottery,
Two surfboards - one 5'7" (mine..) and a 6'5" (James), in a rather broken board bag which was held together with gaffer tape

All of this two up on an NSR50 Shocked
How on earth we survived the journey with the boards getting caught in the wind and flying out (incidently the strap was around my neck great idea that Brick Wall ) and the suspension bottoming out at every lump (portugese roads... think about it) whilst being overtaken by just about every other form of transport and avoiding the rabid wild dogs, I will never know!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 10:29 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it bad enough just now when I've got my backpack on and it's full!! Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 12:01 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clairol footspa and a flatbed scanner (both boxed), sleeping bag and four decorative candles.

I was xmas shopping. The pictures in the Argos catalogue can be deceptive. Smile

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:08 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda related story - we went to the GP at Donington one year two-up on hubby's 350 Powervalve with the tent in throwover panniers.
We'd forgotten how hot the exhausts would get and when we got to the campsite, the tent was melted! Luckily it was only in patches and it didn't rain!

Minky_monkey
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:29 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:
https://www.wakeuphate.com/hosted/frosty/sheep.jpg

Get yer coat love. You've pulled............

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Shade_BW
I'm better than you

PostPosted: 16:12 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen Angel wrote:
I find it bad enough just now when I've got my backpack on and it's full!! Confused

Get yourself a cargo-net, or some bungees and put the rucksack on the bike, rather than you.

Keeps the weight lower, and doesn't affect your weight.

There are also differing opinions about wearing rucksacks on bikes.

Some people reckon if you come off, and land on your back, a rucksack can make the damage to your spine worse.

As to me, I am always mystified by some of the kit I see at rallies that turns up on a bike two up. I really must get packing lessons from someone, cos we have a hard time with a bike each.

Shade
Think about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 16:14 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Shade! Thumbs Up

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 16:16 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shade_BW wrote:
There are also differing opinions about wearing rucksacks on bikes.

Some people reckon if you come off, and land on your back, a rucksack can make the damage to your spine worse.

It seems to depend on the rucksack in question and whats in it.

Anna and Goose have both had big off's with rucksacks on which are supposed to of saved their necks.

Same with anything else I suppsoe; You pays your money and you takes your chances.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 02:57 - 12 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive carried a fair amount of stuff, never just one big item, but normally my entire navy wardrobe going from one location to another, which belive me is ALOT of shit

frustrating how hard it is sometimes to get stuff on your bike, cars = chuck in back get in

bikes, ive often spent up to an hour bungeeing stuff on the back so its stable etc
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Trunecka
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 04:00 - 12 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

12-year-old brother on the chromed wire cargo rack of an old Raleigh gent's touring pedalcycle.

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 21:44 - 12 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJam's right.

I don't carry a rucksack now, because the damage that the rucksack caused to my back when I landed on it will never heal, and it causes me a lot of problems. However, I was lucky, the rucksack did stop me breaking my spine.... it's all a game of chance really!

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 01:43 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to add to above, my back is also quite dodgy, crashing with a bag didnt do that part any favours, but also gave some support

you cant really win, and i'm not willing to re try it without a back pack to see Razz
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1