Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chain Tension on Dirtbike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 07 Aug 2015    Post subject: Chain Tension on Dirtbike. Reply with quote

Something has puzzled me, I just got an MOT the other day and I got an advisory for the chain been too LOOSE!!! However, prior to this I had the bike in for and MOT elsewhere and the tester said that the chain was too TIGHT!

The only thing that I can think of is that due to the big amount of suspension travel, giving these 2 different MOT testers different results when they checked the bike. Possible?

Am I correct in saying that you should check chain tension with someone sitting on the bike? And if so, would they do this at an MOT station?

I have searched online and cannot seem to find the correct tension for my bike Hyosung XRX 125 so I used a the 3 finger technique. (There are quite a few posts about this technique online).

However, I don't know if this is right on not, because despite being a dirtbike the XRX is pretty much a road bike, the rear sprocket is fairly small, etc and is geared for high-ish speeds compared to an outride dirtbike with massive sprocket on the back. Would this have any impact on the chain tension?

Cheers

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:51 - 07 Aug 2015    Post subject: Re: Chain Tension on Dirtbike. Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:

Am I correct in saying that you should check chain tension with someone sitting on the bike? And if so, would they do this at an MOT station?

Chain tension will vary with suspension movement. So with more movement (also length of swinging arm, position of front sprocket to the swinging arm, etc) you need a different amount of tension.

But if you sit on the bike then the swinging arm is in a fairly random position depending on how much you weigh, and hence how it has affected chain tension is pretty random.

Workshop manuals if they specify it that I have seen list it without sitting on the bike.

All the best

K

stuartt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 14 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

my busa is about 30 mm & my gas gas is about 60 mm , if the chain on my gas gas can touch the top of the swinging arm i tighten it a little bit .

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 14 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the Manuel say?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 17 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual for my Honda XL125 says 25mm!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 17 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
What does the Manuel say?

https://lifeafterbread.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/que.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1