Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Decisions...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Diggs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Decisions... Reply with quote

Last night a bunch of us went up to North Yorkshire to enjoy the roads and a beautiful summer's evening. As per usual we swapped bikes. I did 35 miles on my Speed Triple, 20 miles on a Duke 749 followed by 30 miles to home on a 350 YPVS. 3 completely different bikes but all great to ride hard on quiet country roads.

This gives me a problem. Now I'm tempted to sell my old Gixxer750M and buy something lighter. Trouble is, I don't know what to get. The Duke got me thinking about a similar twin as they are so satisfying off the apex whereas the YPVS has that wonderful spot at 6.5k where it hesitates for a split second then 'braaaaahhhhhh'. If you've ever ridden one you'll know what I mean!

Not sure if I have the time to fettle an LC any more, or the disposable to run a Duke. Any suggestions as to what I could buy to deliver the same smiles but with less maintenance?
____________________
Now - Speed Triple, old ratty GS550, GSXR750M
Gone (in order of ownership) - Raleigh Runabout, AP50, KH125, GP125, KH250, CBX550, Z400, CB750FII, 250LC, GS550, ZXR750H1, Guzzi Targa, GSX750F, KH250 x2, Bimota SB6R and counting...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:11 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

YPVS 350. Do it!

As you discovered, there's nothing quite like riding a decent 2T.

They don't actually need much fettling once fully sorted, and if ridden fairly regularly. I don't remember having to do anything much but put in fuel and oil while I owned one. And besides, they're dead easy to work on. It'll be more a case of what you need to do to any that you buy to get it in good road-going trim to start with these days I suspect, but once sorted (if required), the fun begins! Wish I still had mine.

Oh, and Stephens stage III and Stephens/Lomas (or equivalent) spannies ftw Twisted Evil
____________________
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jefr0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:20 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only comment on the Duc, what maintenance are you worried about?

Get the belts done every 2 years/6000 miles at £160 all in usually.

Oil and filter changes as normal.

I've owned my Duc 6 years and have only had to change the belts Thumbs Up
____________________
Rides: Honda XR 125 ('03) Honda CBR 600F ('91), Ducati 916 Biposto ('95)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:41 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a 2T, as Chickenstrip says, they require no more fettling than a 4T and they're a doddle to work on, if you need to.
____________________
"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!" Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price of RDs is scary right now. Don't see that many on the road either so I guess folk are hoarding them.

I had a 250LC and 3 KH250s as a youth so remember a bit about fettling them. If set up right in the 1st place they aren't so bad, but looking at t'bay it'd cost me over 3k to buy a half decent one to start with. Its the high price of nostalgia I guess...
____________________
Now - Speed Triple, old ratty GS550, GSXR750M
Gone (in order of ownership) - Raleigh Runabout, AP50, KH125, GP125, KH250, CBX550, Z400, CB750FII, 250LC, GS550, ZXR750H1, Guzzi Targa, GSX750F, KH250 x2, Bimota SB6R and counting...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen half decent looking RD350LCs going for under £3k in recent months, and YPVS 350s for less (although personally I'd steer clear of late Brazilian models). Just a matter of waiting for the right one to come up, but unfortunately, you're right, the prices are only headed one way Sad

Keep one eye on Classic Mechanics and Practical Sportsbikes magazine classified ads - not everyone who advertises a bike in those thinks their bike must be the last surviving Dodo.
____________________
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:39 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My usual suggestion Smile:

https://www.dailymotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/beon-lanza-ktm-sx250-gp-todo-tributo-al-2-tiempos-12928639945.jpg

Didn't find my F2 YPVS particularly enthralling.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:43 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:


They could at least have finished it Razz

G wrote:
Didn't find my F2 YPVS particularly enthralling.


I've already pointed out the solution to that one Wink
____________________
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:44 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermono... such awesome Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy; note above is a 2 stroke based on a KTM250SX - should be revvy and VERY light.

While they do offer a fairing, if I was going that route, I'd be tempted to forgo it for ultimate lightness Smile.

Chucking a load of money at not-that-great bike like YPVS doesn't really make sense to me. It's not even pretty like the LC.
Prefer to go for an RS250 or similar and sort the suspension a little.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly looks like it has potential. Maybe if it had a seat...
I'd put at least some kind of nose cone on it (admittedly a personal taste thing). Don't think the weight would be that significant for a road bike. Then a paint job to tie everything in, and I reckon it'd be reet.

But how much to put something like that together? And OP has already said he doesn't have the time to be fettling all the time, so unless he could find something similar already done for sale (unlikely?), I doubt that he'd be wanting to build from scratch?

G wrote:
It's not even pretty like the LC.


Oh, I don't know, they have potential:

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/yamaha-rd-350-lc-ypvs-reduced-effect-2_zps91xx0gwp.jpg

although of course, that does mean spending yet more money Rolling Eyes and anyway, beauty is in the eye of the beholder Wink

So which would cost less?
____________________
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
MCN. This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS250's seem to be going for 3.5k for a mk1 and 5k for a mk2. I could possibly stretch to a mk1. I've heard that they are very fragile though...
____________________
Now - Speed Triple, old ratty GS550, GSXR750M
Gone (in order of ownership) - Raleigh Runabout, AP50, KH125, GP125, KH250, CBX550, Z400, CB750FII, 250LC, GS550, ZXR750H1, Guzzi Targa, GSX750F, KH250 x2, Bimota SB6R and counting...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:38 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

NKVD fan wrote:
KR1S. Much quicker than a YPVS and chassis from another planet.


Having owned, commuted on, thrashed and done long distances on both of those, I'd still have the YPVS.
Yep, the KR1S is quicker and the winner in the nimbleness stakes, but as an everyday bike the RD is easier to own and fettle. I found the KR1S even more susceptible to side winds than the RD.
I imagine RD parts are easier to get hold of nowadays.

Given the opportunity I'd have both! Mr. Green
____________________
"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!" Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might consider selling my KR1S if you're interested?
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:47 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I might consider selling my KR1S if you're interested?


If the premium bonds pay out big, soon, I will.
____________________
"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!" Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be Ducati 749/999 for me every time over even a nice YPVS 350. Reason being is that I love the styling of these Ducati's and yet most people don't and or don't rate them. That alone makes them a fantastic buy to me!

The only thing I don't agree on 100% with the YPVS 350 advice, is about avoiding the late Brazilian models completely?

Yes sure they will never look as cool or be sought after, or have quite as much build quality (not that RD 350YPVS's did anyway) Laughing

But with the fettling money spent on them you can with work get them to go and handle as well as a Jap one, and they will always be much cheaper to buy, as purists hate them! Which again to me is another good reason to get one! Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
It would be Ducati 749/999 for me every time over even a nice YPVS 350. Reason being is that I love the styling of these Ducati's and yet most people don't and or don't rate them. That alone makes them a fantastic buy to me!

The only thing I don't agree on 100% with the YPVS 350 advice, is about avoiding the late Brazilian models completely?

Yes sure they will never look as cool or be sought after, or have quite as much build quality (not that RD 350YPVS's did anyway) Laughing

But with the fettling money spent on them you can with work get them to go and handle as well as a Jap one, and they will always be much cheaper to buy, as purists hate them! Which again to me is another good reason to get one! Laughing


Is the Ducati the best thing for these Devon lanes though?

I've always heard to avoid the Brazilian P/valves due to the poor build quality - if you have to spend loads to get them up to scratch, will they then be beyond the OPs budget? I know I posted that pic of the tarted up YPVS, but am not seriously suggesting the OP spend that much on one; it was more in answer to G saying they don't look much.

As to buying because "different to everyone else", if it were me, I would rather buy what I like, even if everybody else likes it too. 'Everybody else' won't be the ones living with it.

Diggs, will this bike be instead of your Speed Triple, or as well as? That would also inform my decision if I were in your position.
____________________
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:11 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of agree with much of what your saying, however:

1, How twisty are these Devon back lanes and how much is handling, enjoyment, fun, speed or value important? I.e if a Ducati 749 is much too much bike for such roads to enjoy, then would something light but simpler and a lot less powerful like a Honda XBR500 not be even better maybe?

2, I have heard lots of the don't go near the Brazilian 350's folklore too. But how many of the people that say they are shit and aweful mistakes have actually owned one first hand though? I know that the modded 350YPVS you linked would be way out of cheap bike budget money, and so would sorting out most of the downsides of the Brazilian machines too. But my point was more I guess that anything can be fixed with enough spent, and I'm not exactly sickened to death by the looks of the RD350R, so a fully improved/sorted/pimped one could be a decent bike for less than an F2 done to the same standard etc.

3, I kind of see your point about you liking and wanting the best bike you can get, and one that you like and sod it if everyone else likes them too. But trends and popularity are expensive, so getting something less sought after these days really appeals to me.

I'd like an RD500LC, but will never buy one, as there are too many people out there with deep pockets that want the biggest LC too, many just to say they have got one.
TDR250's have gone a bit like that now too, it's never going to be an off beat bike that's off two stroke nutter's radar's.

At least the Ducati 749/999 is still off many Ducatisti's most wanted list, so that's in part why I like them so much. Same story with the Laverda 750S Formula, everyone will say buy a 748 instead, but then it means there's less competition when a nice Formula 750 pops up, and less popular/classic tax on them too!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Oh, I don't know, they have potential:

... to be covered in tat?

Wink

One thing with the aging smokers is they don't look to be losing value any time soon... but that'd put me off as I'd have to treat them as an investment rather than a bike to be ridden.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:28 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Oh, I don't know, they have potential:

... to be covered in tat?

Wink



Shit-stirrer Laughing

To me, off-the-shelf anodised crap etc is tat. What in particular do you see that is tat on that YPVS?

It's all just personal opinion when it comes to looks - my opinion is no more valid than yours, and vice versa Wink

It's not actually a punishable offence to ride a rare classic bike Smile
____________________
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:41 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw the stickers, lower fairing bit thingy etc - however on further observation I see they've stuck a load of higher spec suspension kit on the outdated frame.
Just get an RGV250 Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 13 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be as well as the Striple. Purely for fun...
____________________
Now - Speed Triple, old ratty GS550, GSXR750M
Gone (in order of ownership) - Raleigh Runabout, AP50, KH125, GP125, KH250, CBX550, Z400, CB750FII, 250LC, GS550, ZXR750H1, Guzzi Targa, GSX750F, KH250 x2, Bimota SB6R and counting...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.38 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 144.42 Kb