Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Adopting a rescue cat. EDIT RIP Chewie

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 22:18 - 17 Aug 2015    Post subject: Adopting a rescue cat. EDIT RIP Chewie Reply with quote

Cat lovers of BCF unite!

We have recently been offered some kittens from my mother in law whose cat has just had a litter. However as we live in a flat (in the process of buying the one we are renting) the cat would have to be an indoor cat/cat's so it got me thinking and doing a little research as I felt I didn't want to deny a cat the outdoorsy life if I could help it.

So after all of about 30 seconds of Googling I found out about cats with FIV and how they need homes where they will be indoor cats due to their low immune systems and risk of passing it on to other cats.

So... a trip to the cats protection rehoming centre on Sunday we met who is currently known as 'simba' a 5 year old male tabby with no teeth and FIV. He is a lovely friendly fella who seemed quite at ease with us fairly quickly.

The dear auntie BCF part of this is just some advice on what I am letting myself in for and any experiences that people can share with adopting cats and the FIV condition.

Many thanks

Last edited by dodsi on 07:26 - 13 Apr 2018; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 17 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a cat person myself but I love animals so fair play to you.

It will probably smother you in your sleep and feed off your body for the next six months until rescued, rehomed and the strategy starts again.

A dog lover.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 17 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about that FIV condition but we adopted our, sadly now departed, cat Moppie from a woman who was going off "to find herself" in Nepal.

She was a poorly cat when she came to us and we spent a load of money getting her back on her feet again. It was a slow, expensive process but the reward was well worth it. It took about 6 months for her to settle, she was still jumpy even then but as time went on she got much better. About a year after we got her she started cuddling me while I worked at my desk - full on across the chest over the shoulder type stuff. When I was laid up with my broken leg she'd do the same too. In the mornings as I started to wake up she'd come in the room and make this funny meow noise that sounded a bit like 'hello' ...

She was a great little thing and I still miss her.

Before her we had two Beagles, one from a puppy (Rhubarb) and the other, Rikki, was a rescue. She was adorable and was always so grateful for anything, a cuddle, food... miss those two little monkeys too...

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 17 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to you dodsi for getting a rescue cat. Thumbs Up

No doubt our resident supervet (Stinkers) will be along shortly with some spot on info.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 17 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh bless, I didn't know that about FIV cats.

That's useful to know, that they would be better as indoor cats, cos everybody (myself included, admittedly) always says, Ooooo no, cats must have an outdoor area, its not right to keep them boxed in.

So many grown-up cats get left behind in favour of the fluffy-wuffiness of kittens.

That would be a really sweet thing to do, Dodsi.
Cool Thumbs Up

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 17 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

No personal knowledge of having a cat generally or one with FIV; but I have a friend who rehomed an FIV cat. They live in an upper floor flat and haven't had any major problems.

The first week at the flat it took a liking to various bits of furniture which were 'marked' by claws and fluids Laughing but that may of just been down to not having enough to occupy it or settling in I guess. Once they got something similar to this and various other cat-toys theres been no trouble at all apparently.
https://www.digsdigs.com/photos/Unique-Cat-Tree-Houses-from-Pet-Tree-House-3.jpg

They previously had a 'healthy outdoor cat' and reckon the FIV cat is far more affectionate and interested in human company too. I'm not sure on whether it impacts vet bills/pet insurance costs particularly, however.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 07:21 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, the cat is 'reserved' pending the cooling off period and we are expecting to pick him up on Saturday.

Now, Simba is a terrible name, especially as he looks more like scar anyways - especially as he has been through the wars a bit. But we have already decided he needs to be called 'chewie' (Chewbacca) because we have a terrible sense of humour and I love star wars.

This is the little man...

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=95957
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 07:54 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also live in a flat, and have rescue cats.

My best bit of advice is to go in with an open mind to see the cats that are offered to you, and go home with the cat that chooses you.

Our first rescue cat chose us. As soon as we went into his cage, he was all over us. We were able to ignore his paucity of teeth, inability to wash, knackered kidneys, and a siamese yowl that could wake the dead.

After him, we went for another pair of rescue cats. This time we pre-chose the ones that needed rescuing, they had spent most of their lives (a year or so) in the rescue centre.
4 years on and they're only just getting friendly, within certain parameters. Most of my friends don't believe I have cats, because the cats hide whenever strangers visit.

If the cat you're after is 5 and had FIV, you can expect 10 years out of him. Make sure you get on.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 09:21 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice robby, very much the attitude we went with. Originally we went to meet another cat which turned out didn't like being left and would howl. We went in to look at the cats and this one was sat in the back not wanting to come through to the front to meet us. We went to the back and he didn't seem overly keen on the worker going in with him... she then tried to pick him up and he wasn't having it... not good signs.

I got in his enclosure and he initially backed off then came over to me and was within a couple of minutes all over me and brushing around my legs etc. My wife then got in with him and he was all over her. Then we both managed to pick him up and he cuddled in and padded etc.

We also left him and went to meet some others some of which were fine, one had one leg missing but a lot of energy and probably needed a garden. One just was not bothered by us. We went back to cat one and he was again all over us. But only if we went around the back to his enclosure as he would not come to the front. Then we had the interview bit and went back a third time and he was all over us again... and on the way out I could call him from the back of the enclosure to come to the door to me. I think in terms of getting on with us he seems lime he will be OK. When we go on Saturday we will repeat the process to see if he will be all over us again.

scorps
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodsi just this Karma Karma Karma Karma Karma Karma Karma Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:04 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like he picked you.

The other way of picking a rescue cat is to go to the rescue centre, put your cat-carrier on the floor, and take home the first one that runs into it. Bonus points if they talk to you whilst doing so.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:26 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have 2 mainly indoor cats (supervised outdoor access), not afflicted with fiv though. One thing I can recommend 100% is something called Felliway. Its an artificial cat hormone/pheromone that comes in either a spray or a plug in diffuser. The idea behind it is it helps to reduce stresses and tense situations (like for example moving them into a new home) just plug it in before you go and pick them up, and hopefully it'll make the transition easier.

Good on you for taking on a rescue. As it's a known condition I take it the centre will help with veterinary costs?

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 18:20 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently no help with the vetinary costs and insurance could be tricky as a lot of ailments will be linked to its FIV which is pre existing.

We think there is little point in paying for insurance for this reason, I am happy to be corrected though.

We will obviously just pay for treatment as and when required as from my research you have to be quick to react to any small symptoms due to the weakened immune system.

It is a responsibility that I intend to go into with my eyes wide open. Nothing would piss me off more than paying for insurance and then being told I have to pay for the treatment anyways.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Apparently no help with the vetinary costs and insurance could be tricky as a lot of ailments will be linked to its FIV which is pre existing.

We think there is little point in paying for insurance for this reason, I am happy to be corrected though.

We will obviously just pay for treatment as and when required as from my research you have to be quick to react to any small symptoms due to the weakened immune system.

It is a responsibility that I intend to go into with my eyes wide open. Nothing would piss me off more than paying for insurance and then being told I have to pay for the treatment anyways.

Might be worthwhile sorting out a standing order into a separate account, say a tenner a month, as a 'just in case' slush fund. As long as he is healthy you can build up a little cash stash to deal with the times when he may not be as healthy. Sort of like your own insurance company?

Also he looks like a boss cat, good on you for taking him regardless of his health Thumbs Up

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:08 - 19 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Oh yeah, the cat is 'reserved' pending the cooling off period and we are expecting to pick him up on Saturday.

Now, Simba is a terrible name, especially as he looks more like scar anyways - especially as he has been through the wars a bit. But we have already decided he needs to be called 'chewie' (Chewbacca) because we have a terrible sense of humour and I love star wars.

This is the little man...

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=95957

https://giant.gfycat.com/ImportantBackKentrosaurus.gif

Last edited by CaNsA on 13:31 - 19 Aug 2015; edited 1 time in total

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 19 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will make iain moan again ^^^^^^^

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:42 - 19 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to use World's Best Cat Litter. It's so good at absorbing smells. Nothing worse than living in a cat stink.

If you're ambitious you can teach cats to share your lavatory https://www.amazon.co.uk/Litter-Kwitter-Toilet-Training-System/dp/B0014N70QO

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 17:14 - 19 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, following the advice from here I have ordered a feliway plug in thing for him which I will plug in on the morning that I pick him up.

I have a hooded cat litter box that has carbon filters etc, good cat litter will also be a must!

The centre are reckoning to keep him on the same type of litter they use and transition him to the new one if we are to change it.

Is this really the way forwards?

Once he has settled in I might give toilet training him a go, more for my own amusement than anything else.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:29 - 19 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be lucky - perhaps the cat will use the lavatory without being asked to! Mine does. She grew up in a market and then decided to move in with me. She seems to have worked out the relationship between drains and sewers, so she pees in the gutter on the slatted manhole cover thing, or in the toilet, or in the sink in the bathroom or kitchen. She has a tray but doesn't like using it.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 21:04 - 19 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love cats.

We rescued Ella from being put down. We went to the house where she was, among about 5 other cats.
She was the one cat who kinda chose us. When we got her home (4 years ago now) she was riddled in worms and fleas.
A vet trip, a few jabs and some pills sorted her out for a while, but she developed Megacolon and now she is on life time medication. Proper little rag tag.

But she still bullies our Rhodesian Ridgeback, and eats her food.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/1610829_10152917009430606_2488683624332076633_n.jpg?oh=f548fbdb4bf298e99ac84a9eb11cc7b2&oe=56446A42
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:53 - 20 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
The centre are reckoning to keep him on the same type of litter they use and transition him to the new one if we are to change it.
Is this really the way forwards?

At least initially I'd say so, yeah. Of our 2 cats, 1 of them is extremely fussy when it comes to litter types.
When it comes to changing types i'd add a bit of the new with the old and change it gradually 75/25, 50/50, 25/75 then all new.
On the training front, patience and reward are key. Our male cats repertoire currently consists of: paw (L & R), sit, stay, high 5 (both paws) 'kiss' (headbutt), fetch and currently working on twirl. Thumbs Up

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 22:15 - 22 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we have picked him up today - currently he is stretched out in the middle of the lounge floor chillino out. He seems to be settling in extraordinarily well and has been and sat on my knee and is eating and drinking.

He tried to hide a few times but we Brought him out. So far he has not left the lounge and had a mini freak out when we opened the kitchen door. Now he is relaxed and has been for hours. But has not ventured out of the lounge yet.

We will introduce him to the rest of the flat next week.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 22 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give him a tin of tuna Thumbs Up

dan_flash
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:14 - 23 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your cat looks beasty, hope you guys have many years of good times together Thumbs Up

Getting a disabled rescue cat was the best thing I've ever done. No teeth, tongue always falls out, wonky eyes, funny walk, this little feller is burdoned and was in a right state when we got him and now he's the happiest cat in the world.

https://i59.tinypic.com/2sa1n60.jpg

https://i62.tinypic.com/qstbh4.jpg

https://i57.tinypic.com/o0trlw.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 364 days between these two posts...

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 16:24 - 21 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 365 days have passed since we took in Chewie and what a year!

We have had the whole place gutted and redecorated and he has given all of zero fucking during the process. Vets visits are never a problem for his regular claw clipping. And he is a real begger for food - he can hear a can being opened through 4 walls and a thunderstorm.

Basically he is our best mate and I don't think we would know what to do without him. His.favourite thing is to be curled up with his pet humans.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2