Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I need some help engineering the philosophy of mathematics.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Topic moved: from The Workshop to The Geek Zone by stinkwheel (18 Aug 2015 - 08:47)
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:59 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: I need some help engineering the philosophy of mathematics. Reply with quote

Philosophy of mathematics and 'everything'.

Described mathematically, by an engineer. (Edit: An ignorant engineer.)

∞ = 0. Or does it?
Everything is both possible and impossible at the same time. (binary?)

Need some simple evidence.
Type square root of -1 in the calculator.

There is nothing but illusion?

Discuss BCF?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:30 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Re: I need some help engineering the philosophy of mathemati Reply with quote

'∞ = 0, or does it.'

hmm not mathematically correct. ('or does it' is not a mathematical term)

therefore

∞ = 0 = (infinity tends to zero).
bla bla 2nd year uni calculus and some Laplace transformation perhaps? later

(This is standard shit that i cannot be bothered to remember, but I do remember the principles of the philosophy of calculus which is what matters here and know I am mathematically correct with my assumptions, which can be proved by wiser mathematicians than me quite easily?)

In simple terms think resonant frequency of a sine wave. It has something sign 90 degrees = 1 for example. Total = 0, resonant. It has both something and nothing, true and false.

∞ = 0.

Still don't believe me that all is an illusion we live?

It is possible if my understanding of infinity, both mathematically and philisophically are correct as everything is both possible and impossible.

It is both possible and impossible to prove my theory mathematically, is this not evidence that I am correct. there is 0 and everything.

There is I and O, 1 + 0. The frequency of the I/O = 0 and a sign wave joining them (plotted dots on a graph, should you take infinite amount of time to plot them Wink, with infinite frequency being the result.

So, 1+0 =1 and 1+0 can also = 0

Laughing Laughing

Last edited by struan80 on 08:04 - 18 Aug 2015; edited 1 time in total

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't let you work out my wages or how much carpet I need for the front room.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 07:49 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err.... 0 and infinity are absolutely not the same thing. If so Relativity and quantum mechanics would be up shit creek.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please prove that negative, 0, false, FALSE, symbolic thought and illusion to me mathematically?

Prove that infinity does not in fact equal zero then mathematically , I will admit defeat.

I can lay carpets (badly). I can tell you how much carpet you need. i can Do a decent riska assesment on the task, both health and safety wise and business risk.

But, as an engineer, I am wise enough and professional enough t0 realise my limitations and to simply phone and let a carpet fitter do this for me.

I never post about some 'so called' experts experiences with torquing and bolt stretching (lol) it's named fucking bolt tensioning you idiots. Laughing this is one of my areas of expertise Embarassed ). I enjoy watching and learning from peoples opinions on the subject though from their experiences and thoughts.

I am on manic episode, please excuse! Embarassed Having fun though Laughing

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try soaking it in penetrating fluid overnight, and tapping it gently with Nietzsche's hammer.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Ok, I'm out.

I hate logic, it bores me. But valid argument is both valid and invalid.

I wish I could stop this, I really do and don't. I hate myself and am proud of myself, both at the same time and jump between the two at infinite frequency. Regardless of what anyone can say and do, this is me. Embarassed

I am doing maths I like it. Philosophy fucks with my head, I love it.

I know I need a hammer. I have one but not ready to use it today.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:47 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the keyboard that needs the hammer.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:50 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I need to prove it mathematically? An Apple is not the same as an orange. That is a logical statement, not a mathematical construct.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Why do I need to prove it mathematically? An Apple is not the same as an orange. That is a logical statement, not a mathematical construct.

It is me that needs help with engineering the philosophy of science and explaining it mathematically. I really am only asking if anyone can help me, really.

Both apple and orange are fruit. they are both the same if relative to a fruit. Not the same if relative to each other.

Why you would personally need to prove it to me is part of the philosophy.

You don't have to do anything. You can choose too or not, your choice. But both choice and outcome can be positive relative for me or negative relative to me or both. same for you. You have achieved both for me, with your statement

This is my philosophy right at this moment in time. I need help to engineer it, mathematically.

Last edited by struan80 on 09:31 - 18 Aug 2015; edited 1 time in total

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

the square root of -1 is i You need a better calculator, and a bit of time reading up on complex number theory.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use that as a simple analogy(? my english is shite hehe)) to get people thinking.

having studied alittle bit electrical engineering, reactance uses the square root of -1 in a productive practical way. read one paragraph on reactance for credibility on this.

The lag between current and voltage, inangular terms creating reactance on ac circuits. pure DC circuit is only resistance. There is no 'i' or 'j' value with DC for example.

Power factor and efficiency on ac circuits.

I am trying to keep things in simple terms here for myself.

My goal is to understand my sons brain.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to take less of what ever it is you are on. Or more of it.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
I use that as a simple analogy(? my english is shite hehe)) to get people thinking.

having studied alittle bit electrical engineering, reactance uses the square root of -1 in a productive practical way. read one paragraph on reactance for credibility on this.

The lag between current and voltage, inangular terms creating reactance on ac circuits. pure DC circuit is only resistance. There is no 'i' or 'j' value with DC for example.

Power factor and efficiency on ac circuits.

I am trying to keep things in simple terms here for myself.

My goal is to understand my sons brain.

I will run a poll onwhether I am delusional later Laughing

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 09:42 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble with maths is it was invented by Greeks and never translated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taught2BCautious wrote:
Try soaking it in penetrating fluid overnight, and tapping it gently with Nietzsche's hammer.

Or cut wrists (lengthways) using an Occam's Razor.

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Maths is supposed to be the universal language of the universe yet no bugger can understand it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:51 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

While mathematics are heavily intertwined with engineering, I feel imaginary numbers crosses the line from engineering to pure mathematics and is therefore automatically geeky and goes in the geek zone.

Engineering is nerdy which is one step above a geek. Geeks think things are cool and understand a bit about them. Nerds can also make them work.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:

Or both Wink

I am on nothing, absolutely nothing, at this moment, no prescribed drugs, no illegal drugs, no legal drugs. Or am I? I am on a high from a chemical reaction in my brain only.

Hence clarity in my head, or is it? Confused

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Northern Monkey wrote:

Or both Wink

I am on nothing, absolutely nothing, at this moment, no prescribed drugs, no illegal drugs. Or am I? I am on a high from a chemical reaction in my brain only.

Hence clarity in my head, or is it? Confused

Winning Formula:

Put on leathers (and safety hat).
Take bike for blast.
You'll be too busy doing the practical to worry about the theory. Thumbs Up

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Geek Zone needs renaming to The Padded Cell

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you should stop looking for the answer in maths, and look for it physics, theoretical physics.

the Copenhagen interpretation is most likely a good place to start. its been a proven point that heisenberg uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics is pretty much the correct way of looking at the universe. but that also mean that we are no looking at the universe.

also, you can describe zero as a single planck length - this is the smallest anything can be, we do not know the largest, infinity is an expression to show that we are either unable or unwilling to find the final answer. we most likely never know if there is a maximum number.

also check string theory, holographic universe and all that jazz. your are ideas are far from new, and can not proven or disproven with any form of mathematics, with perhaps the exception of hawking equation, but that can not be conclusively proven until we can sample data in matter both entering and exiting a black whole.

these are question that even though the human race, is infact able to ask is not mature enough to be able to answer. and most certainly not be attempted to answered any time soon by some weirdo on a bike forum

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Bingo!

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Re: I need some help engineering the philosophy of mathemati Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

∞ = 0 = (infinity tends to zero).

By its nature, infinity tends towards infinity.

You cannot simply apply any natural number to infinity, and expect it to work as it does not.

You basic knowledge of complex numbers is lacking.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4