Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I need some help engineering the philosophy of mathematics.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Topic moved: from The Workshop to The Geek Zone by stinkwheel (18 Aug 2015 - 08:47)
View previous topic : View next topic  

R_Josh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:20 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought infinity wasn't a number? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would theoretical Physics not be included as part our current efforts, as humans, at engineering the equation for philosophy of mathematics? which is the meaning of everything in our illusion.

The problem for us humans when we reach this goal and prove that infinty equals 0. There will be nothing.

This is also false and true.

Parallel universe lol of course there is, when we are 0 they are infinity and we swap between the two at infinite frequency.

We will ruminate until destruction, when we all realise this. A bit like myself Laughing

It is better to live for today and talk about the price of a tin of beans, it really is. The alternative is artistically well put in the 'scream'.

There is nothing and everything.

Infinity = zero

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

Infinity = zero

Wrong

R_Josh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:27 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
While mathematics are heavily intertwined with engineering, I feel imaginary numbers crosses the line from engineering to pure mathematics and is therefore automatically geeky and goes in the geek zone.

Engineering is nerdy which is one step above a geek. Geeks think things are cool and understand a bit about them. Nerds can also make them work.

Signal processing and control systems include a lot of work in imaginary numbers to understand/apply.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Re: I need some help engineering the philosophy of mathemati Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
struan80 wrote:

∞ = 0 = (infinity tends to zero).

By its nature, infinity tends towards infinity.

You cannot simply apply any natural number to infinity, and expect it to work as it does not.

You basic knowledge of complex numbers is lacking.

Lets get one thing clear. I am not a mathematician. i am not even competent these days in theoretical fundamentals of engineering and would fail an A level Physics course if I sat one right now. I studied complex number theory as part of engineering in about 1990. I have had no reason to go back there since this last evening.

I have not yet looked at even wiki to back up any of what I am saying. I am trying to think impartially based on my own thoughts.

Please can you show me the equation that proves infinity does not equal zero then I will admit defeat. I will admit defeat but continue to be manic.

Is it an illusion that we believe infinity cannot equal zero?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:26 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some eejit asked this on Yahoo Answers. They got a similar response:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006041117053

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Some eejit asked this on Yahoo Answers. They got a similar response:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006041117053

Thank goodness I'm not the only edjit at least. Still no answer to the question though, or is there. I can't find it to confirm I am edjit. This is why I ask.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've moved it from the workshop to the geek zone? Laughing I thought workshop was the correct place.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:49 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
You've moved it from the workshop to the geek zone? Laughing I thought workshop was the correct place.

Really?

And what does it have to do with motorcycle mechanics. Exactly?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

orac wrote:
maybe you should stop looking for the answer in maths, and look for it physics, theoretical physics.

the Copenhagen interpretation is most likely a good place to start. its been a proven point that heisenberg uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics is pretty much the correct way of looking at the universe. but that also mean that we are no looking at the universe.

also, you can describe zero as a single planck length - this is the smallest anything can be, we do not know the largest, infinity is an expression to show that we are either unable or unwilling to find the final answer. we most likely never know if there is a maximum number.

also check string theory, holographic universe and all that jazz. your are ideas are far from new, and can not proven or disproven with any form of mathematics, with perhaps the exception of hawking equation, but that can not be conclusively proven until we can sample data in matter both entering and exiting a black whole.

these are question that even though the human race, is infact able to ask is not mature enough to be able to answer. and most certainly not be attempted to answered any time soon by some weirdo on a bike forum

Thanks for this. Give's me something to actually look at to get some respite and maybe some answers. I doubt it.

I honestly did not google anything on this subject before. I had a moment of clarity, or so I believed. The mind is a funny thing though, maybe some time in the past I could have noticed something visually and unaware that I had and this was just recall? it is possible and impossible. oh no.....lol.

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinity is an expression of "we don't know the number" it is not a set figure though. Infinity plus 1 is still infinity.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand that.

So the answer is to find what infinity is mathematically, and it is 0, nil nada nothing, zero.

What is nothing.

In our illusion it is death then, or is it? Both possible and impossible if infinity = nothing.

Another apology for rantings of an edjit. i will cringe looking at this rambling some time very soon. When I'm next out on my bike! Not today.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Re: I need some help engineering the philosophy of mathemati Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

Please can you show me the equation that proves infinity does not equal zero then I will admit defeat. I will admit defeat but continue to be manic.

0 belongs to the natural integers, infinity does not belong in that group set.

Go read up on your mathematical proofs. You can't prove a negative, it is not possible to prove that it is NOT.

It is up to you to prove that it is.

Last edited by lihp on 13:21 - 18 Aug 2015; edited 1 time in total

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should make that as soon as possible. Then you can start wondering about things that actually mean something to you in real life like what's around this next bend, instead of driving yourself silly contemplating stuff you can a) never answer and b) wouldn't have an effect on the way your world works if you did.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Then you can start wondering about things that actually mean something to you in real life like what's around this next bend, instead of driving yourself silly contemplating stuff you can a) never answer and b) wouldn't have an effect on the way your world works if you did.

I am hopeful that I can do this very soon, after nearly 30 years of trying I believe it is doable now at least. it's a start.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
struan80 wrote:

Really?

And what does it have to do with motorcycle mechanics. Exactly?

Agreed, Even I can appreciate that. It was a bit presumptuous and pretentious and hopeful to post in there. I am both/all of these things at the moment (i'm not always like this ...honest!).

I need fixed, I like bikes was my thought probably. Can a biker help fix me was my thoughts.

Last edited by struan80 on 13:38 - 18 Aug 2015; edited 1 time in total

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we've got a lunatic on drugs with a copy of an electric engineering textbook, and teflon pages here too...

Laughing

Northern Monkey wrote:
the square root of -1 is i You need a better calculator, and a bit of time reading up on complex number theory.

The question is about maths in an engineering context, so it's j Wink

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
So we've got a lunatic on drugs with a copy of an electric engineering textbook, and teflon pages here too...

Laughing

emm not on drugs mate, I don't have a text book to hand, I do have many but I'm not going up the loft. Wouldn't use them anyway, no need have internet.

Please show me any signs of plagiarism, anywhere at all, both on thoughts and analogies, mathematics or philosophy or even engineering.

I do ok for an edjit in providing engineering services actually and rewarded relatively quite handsomely, don't need to justify my self to you as an engineer actually. I am a consultant Engineer with my own limited company and Maersk oil are happy for me to talk shite about engineering, while getting the job done safely and efficiently. this is an actual enginnering project as well, not some theoretical bollocks usually.

Don't make me post an invoice and a copy of a contract I will feel a complete idiot later for doing that trying to get credibilty for myself.

My name is Struan Robertsonm my company name is SLMI Subsea Services ltd. I do not have a website. I don't need to, I get a phone call, job done. Not much research from you would prove my credibility with 'project' engineering and also that not is all that it seems. ( I may need a mitigating factor, totally unrelated very shortly)

Last edited by struan80 on 14:12 - 18 Aug 2015; edited 3 times in total

R_Josh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:53 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Please show me any signs of plagiarism, anywhere at all, both on thoughts and analogies, mathematics or philosophy?

Proving 0 = infinity does not make sense. Infinity is not a number. Its a concept of something being very large.

To be honest you sound mental (you may not be aware of someone slipping something in your drink?) but who I am to judge. Keep on keeping on.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Trouble with maths is it was invented by Greeks and never translated.
A people who to this day believe [Not enough tax] - [massive over public spending] = [stable economy]

... infinity hasn't got a chance.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="R_Josh"]
struan80 wrote:

To be honest you sound mental

This, I know that. I am 'mental' or am I? Crying or Very sad Confused Embarassed

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big HAMMER time, for now.

Thanks everyone for help. Please continue to post if you have any ideas or just want to remind me that I am a 'nutter' once more.

Mania is better than the alternative.....just need to wind it down a bit, sorry. Embarassed

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Re: I need some help engineering the philosophy of mathemati Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
struan80 wrote:

0 belongs to the natural integers, infinity does not belong in that group set.

Go read up on your mathematical proofs. You can't prove a negative, it is not possible to prove that it is NOT.

It is up to you to prove that it is.

This based on current understanding of philosophy only, I am challenging this.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're just posting absolute nonsense then?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:31 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop taking drugs now.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4