Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So The Display Jet Crash Pilot...........

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s.telegraph.co.uk/graphics/MobileSwitcher/v2/images/1682-1440434000809228973.svg

As I mentioned in the other thread regarding the accident, I suspected he may not have made his "gate" (a pre-determined height at the top of the loop where you can abort the manoeuvre if too low). The gate is the height he should be at (2) in the first image.

If he hadn't made the "gate" he would still have the chance to push the aircraft out of the loop, roll the right way up and fly level... as in the picture below... and go away for another attempt.

https://content.answcdn.com/main/content/img/McGrawHill/Aviation/f0355-02.gif

As it turns out... he won't have made his gate... not truly. Although it is possible he either thought he had, or didn't make the check.

I haven't made to presume he wilfully commenced the manoeuvre at a lower than authorised height.
I don't suggest he did that intentionally, nor do I say it was an unintended mistake or error, there isn't sufficient evidence to draw either conclusion.

The report has established that he commenced at around 200ft... which is 300ft lower than he was authorised in his DA.

BUT... one possibility for people to entertain...

As you climb in altitude, air pressure reduces.
It does this as a rate of 1hPa (1mb) per 28ft. Mean sea level pressure in ISA conditions (international standard atmosphere) is 1013hPa... but depending on weather systems, anything between 990-1020 is very common and normal.
Incorrectly setting the altimeter to a pressure setting would give you a false altitude. If he set say 1015 ("QFE one zero one five") instead of 1005 ("QFE one zero zero five") , that would put cause his altimeter to read 300ft higher than he actually was.
300ft just happens to be how much below the minimum commencement height he was.

He took off from a different airfield (North Weald, Essex) and so will likely have changed "pressure settings" a few times during the flight between Essex and Shoreham. Easy to mishear ATC reporting the QFE or QNH, or to set it wrong accidentally. On the ground, you set QFE and it should read 0ft, if you set QNH on the ground it should read the elevation (above sea level) of the airfield. But if you change it in the air, there's no real way to check it against anything other than the ATC read-back.

I'm not saying that was the reason... but it is one possibility rather than everyone jumping on the cowboy-pilot bandwagon.

Virtually no aviation accident is the result of a single thing. It is a chain of events with multiple causal factors... One single tiny difference could prevent most accidents, even though another 19 other tiny things still happened... an accident is like a loop of chain... and if you can break one link it falls apart.

James Reason's Swiss Cheese Model of Accident Causation...
it takes a lot of holes to line up for an accident to happen.
One little difference and the holes don't line up and an accident is prevented, or at least reduced to a less serious incident or an occurrence.

https://www.qualitydigest.com/IQedit/Images/Articles_and_Columns/2012/Oct_2012/cheese-lg.gif
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 11 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

unitynotsocrippledatmo wrote:
As well as altimeter setup errors , there may have been engine\ fuelling issues , especially on an old dog like a hs hunter ,

On the altimeter\ altitude theme , his altimeter made have read OK but over the airshow the ground level may have been three hundred feet higher.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/Shoreham_Airport_approach_to_runway_20.JPG/220px-Shoreham_Airport_approach_to_runway_20.JPG

Shoreham is 7ft above mean sea level.

The impact was between the river and the start of the runway... you can see the sea in the background. Elevation at the Rwy20 threshold (start of the runway) is 7ft AMSL so the height of the ground he hit is not going to be high at all, 30ft at the most, probably less. There is higher ground further behind where he came from, but the crash site was almost at sea level.

Old "warbirds" are generally much more reliable than you might expect for something so old, they get kept in hangars out of the weather and flown very rarely, and almost always in good weather. Because they are flown less often and less hard than more modern aircraft the chances of mechanical issues like that are lower and generally the important parts wear most by use not by time.
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:28 - 15 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llama-Farmer wrote:

He took off from a different airfield (North Weald, Essex) and so will likely have changed "pressure settings" a few times during the flight between Essex and Shoreham. Easy to mishear ATC reporting the QFE or QNH, or to set it wrong accidentally.

Reminds me of an infamous fuckup in 2003 by one of the Thunderbirds, the US equivalent of the Red Arrows. The pilot started a manoeuvre far too low and ejected just before the aircraft hit the ground:

https://www.f-16.net/g3/var/resizes/f-16-photos/album30/aed.jpg?m=1371901541

The investigators said he may have confused the altitude of his home airfield with the altitude of the display airfield. https://www.f-16.net/f-16-news-article968.html.

The video makes him look like a complete eejit: https://youtu.be/ti9e4y-tQtc

After that he left the Thunderbirds but he's still in the USAF, he got promoted to Colonel, and he seems to think the crash was not something to be ashamed of judging from his Twitter:
https://twitter.com/chrisrstricklin

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 15 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was suprised how old lots of aircraft are. Was chatting to my dad (used to be a flying instructor) about buying planes, and pulled up a plane website. I was shocked to see plenty of 1950's planes for sale.

After exclaiming ''are these ancient pieces of junk still okay?'' he assured me they were fine and he'd happily fly one Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 15 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Bendy buy some antiquated heap and proceed to fly it around the UK without turning herself into strawberry jam?

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 15 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://lightsportaircraftpilot.com/eindecker_airdromeaeroplanes/images/airdrome/eindecker-snf05.JPG

You can buy kits for this WWI eindecker....

I've always wondered why no-one just gets a big laser cutter and starts knocking out Hurricanes using off the shelf fittings and engines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:07 - 15 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
After exclaiming ''are these ancient pieces of junk still okay?'' he assured me they were fine and he'd happily fly one Shocked

There's very little in the way of ancient bits in them - all the bits which wear are replaced with brand new or remanufactured bits - that's the normal maintenance routine for all aircraft. And an endless series of improvements and upgrades are developed during the life of the design, so the vintage aircraft flying now are actually safer than they were when they were new.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 16 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a pilot needs an altimeter to judge a loop he really shouldn't be doing aerobatics in the first place, because it means he's a crap pilot. Any combat-pilot (or aerobatic) worth his salt knows his plane and is able to visually ascertain the safe distance from the ground to perform a loop in a given plane.

Thousands of hours in PC simulators here. Mr. Green

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 16 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
If a pilot needs an altimeter to judge a loop he really shouldn't be doing aerobatics in the first place, because it means he's a crap pilot. Any combat-pilot (or aerobatic) worth his salt knows his plane and is able to visually ascertain the safe distance from the ground to perform a loop in a given plane.

Which would make it much easier to blame all accidents on pilot error, and in reality, if left purely to a pilot's own judgement, there would be more in which this was actually the case. In aviation, everything is done to stringent standards with systems of checks and double checks. A pilot will judge from all the information available to him - including rad. alt.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 16 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure any pilot will nod his head like a dog when asked if he's following all the correct procedures. Then do what he feels is best. Just like when your other half says "Don't go too fast darling" and you smile and nod, "of course not" before ploughing into a car at 120. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 16 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
I'm sure any pilot will nod his head like a dog when asked if he's following all the correct procedures. Then do what he feels is best. Just like when your other half says "Don't go too fast darling" and you smile and nod, "of course not" before ploughing into a car at 120. Laughing

Cheap shot Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 16 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

Not at all, depending on the terrain and features it can sometimes be impossible to judge your height above the ground no matter how experienced you are. Especially if you're doing high energy stuff in a jet where you can be climbing and descending 1000s of feet in a matter of seconds.

If you've been flying at 10,000ft then suddenly 3,000ft looks very low and things look very big and it's easy to think you're lower than you are. If you've been flying at 5,000ft and gone down to 2,000ft it can barely look any different. When doing a display you don't have time to be looking out for long enough to accurately judge heigh, and even then that leaves far too much room for error which would only result in more accidents.

Hetzer wrote:

I'm sure any pilot wouldn't. An extremely small minority perhaps, but certainly not anywhere near enough to call it a significant minority.

(Virtually) every procedure has a good reason for being in place. When you're experienced you've seen what can happen, either first hand, or second hand, when they're not followed. Usually you're lucky enough to get away with it the one time it happens, but can see easily how it could have been worse.

Private pilots maybe are a little less stringent, perhaps because of inexperience breeding ignorance or complacency, but professional pilots have a great appreciation of why procedures are in place. Failure to follow SOPs is a big no no, and it will get picked up and it will be more than frowned upon.

Having said that, at the same time you need to be flexible and resourceful enough to know when it is in the best interests of flight safety to disregard those very same procedures... in an emergency situation, making the decision to break certain procedures, rules or laws could save more people or reduce the risk to them than following them would.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 16 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well. I've fought hundreds of RAF fighters from 20k all the way down to the deck, so maybe my level of experience is greater.

Wink

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:18 - 17 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we're not supposed to, but I want to guess what the causes were. This is what we know (I think). Llama I'm sure you have something to add?

1. the pilot started the loop at 200', which was 300' lower than planned
2. he was 300' below the gate at the top of the loop
2. he chose to complete the loop. No attempt to correct the situation until almost at the bottom of the loop.
4. I reckon we can assume that a guy of his background and experience would have abandoned the loop if he'd known how low he was
5. so he must have believed he'd started the loop at c. 500'
6. the cockpit video suggests the controls were responding normally before the loop and all the way through it

So...possible causes:
- altimeter set wrong
- altimeter not working
- someone on the ground gave him altitude info which was wrong, or it was right but he misheard or misunderstood
- he wasn't looking at the altimeter because he was distracted by some other malfunction
- he knew the the altimeter was not set to display height above sea level so he was judging his height visually. One big landmark as he was running in for the loop is Lancing College Chapel, which is 115' up a hill. Perhaps he thought it was lower.
- he greyed out during the loop (is this usual? was he wearing a G suit, how well did it work?)

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 17 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
I know we're not supposed to, but I want to guess what the causes were. This is what we know (I think). Llama I'm sure you have something to add? Why thank you, yes I do.

1. the pilot started the loop at 200', which was 300' lower than planned Yes this appears undisputed.

2. he was 300' below the gate at the top of the loop not necessarily... I don't know what his "gate" was, and it would depend on the aircraft and the speed the loop was flown at, there is no specific one-size-fits-all height, an aerobatic Extra 300 (like the Red Bull Air Race aircraft) can loop in several hundred feet, a Blue Angel F18 flying at a few hundred knots would take a several thousand feet. However he started the loop 300' below the planned (or rather AUTHORISED) minimum height... but with the trajectory of the loop it appears he was more than 300' lower than normal at the highest point.

2. 3 Razz he chose to complete the loop. No attempt to correct the situation until almost at the bottom of the loop.there's only so much correction you can make once committed... and that is to pull back more, to the stops or the stall-buffet... but that has its own problems... accelerated stall which would make the situation worse and cause the aircraft to "fall out the sky" (in simple terms) and effects-of-G, i.e. grey out/loss of vision/black out/loss of consciousness

4. I reckon we can assume that a guy of his background and experience would have abandoned the loop if he'd known how low he was someone of his background and experience providing he was a) aware of the situation, and b) flying to the SOPs and minimas. I'm not saying he wasn't, I'm not saying he was. Someone with that experience would know to abort if they were aware.

5. so he must have believed he'd started the loop at c. 500' that's only one possibility. Another possibility is that he disregarded his altitude for whatever reason. I stress POSSIBILITY, not probability or fact. I'm playing devils advocate on both sides here, I'm neither the defender nor the prosecutor

6. the cockpit video suggests the controls were responding normally before the loop and all the way through it Responding "not abnormally" to pilot input. But if you ask it to do something it cannot manage aerodynamically, it is still responding how you would expect, just not necessarily how you would like

So...possible causes:
- altimeter set wrong possible yes

- altimeter not working possible but unlikely, would expect to pick that up shortly after takeoff and return to land

- someone on the ground gave him altitude info which was wrong, or it was right but he misheard or misunderstood again another possible yes, and this would result in the altimeter set wrong

- he wasn't looking at the altimeter because he was distracted by some other malfunction unlikely, any abnormality, so anything out of the ordinary or even just a gut feeling would mean you abort your intentions (display) and either rectify the problem, or land, depending on the problem and the seriousness. You wouldn't be dealing with a problem and then decide to start aerobatics whilst dealing with it

- he knew the the altimeter was not set to display height above sea level so he was judging his height visually. One big landmark as he was running in for the loop is Lancing College Chapel, which is 115' up a hill. Perhaps he thought it was lower. again, unlikely. There are 3 main types of pressure setting used. QNH which is pressure corrected to sea level, so it reads 0 at sea level and on the runway it reads the runway height above sea level. QFE which is pressure corrected to ground level, so it reads 0 on the runway. STANDARD BAROMETRIC PRESSURE, which is 1013.25hPa (the mean pressure at mean sea level as defined by ISA) and that gives you Flight Levels which are levels in 100s of feet - FL300 is 300 x 100, i.e. 30,000ft at STD BARO setting. He wouldn't have had STD BARO set, and at Shoreham, the QFE and QNH would have been the same, so he couldn't have set one not the other. Struggle to see how or why he would knowingly set something else.

- he greyed out during the loop (is this usual? was he wearing a G suit, how well did it work?) yes it's possible, don't believe it was likely though. There is a gaseous anti-g system in the Hawker Hunter and military pilots did wear g-suits, however I don't know if civvy pilots would, I suppose it depends on the intentions of their flight and whether they are doing sufficient manoeuvres. However even if the anti-g system did fail, he shouldn't have been pulling enough to cause a loss of consciousness, at most it would have been very uncomfortable and lead to loss of colour and tunnel vision. In a normally fit person anyway. But he will have been having a medical at least every year at his age. Most people will never have had such a thorough medical in their life, never mind every year.

Guessing at the causes is all it is. Only once you have ALL the information available (and we, the general public don't), can you make a reasoned suggestion or conclusion.

Even then, accident investigators, the experts, sometimes can't always come up with a conclusion.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 21 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he greyed out. You can see the left wing drop as he reaches the ground, classic accelerated stall of the wing due to him hauling back on the stick. He then corrects it (stick right).

It was a simple cock-up, pilot error.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 11 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's damning for civilian display authorisation.

When the AAIB publish their final report, there will be a number of people/organisations who have a lot to answer for.

CAA and the display organisers in particular.

A military air display (not necessarily a military air show, but a military display at a civilian show too) is precisely coordinated and each manoeuvre is exactly planned out and practiced meticulously. The display authorisation is based only on this and no "ad hoc" or modified manoeuvres are allowed (except for safety reasons in exceptional circumstances which would result in the abort of the display anyway).

CAA seems to have been a bit shoddy here tbh.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the daily nail cuntathon has set its sights and off we go with thoroughly irrelevant character assassination

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3414515/Shoreham-air-disaster-pilot-spotted-driving-Porsche.html

How dare he
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3