Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

European Tour 2016 - help needed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:52 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
ok its time to start getting some plan in place.

Ferry - hull to rotterdam (£196 with cabin)
Motorail - dusseldorf to verona (£430 private cabin, they have a special in may so bike goes free)
tour italy, back via france and belgium
Ferry - calais to dover

anyone used the motorail and can tell me what the scene is? cabins, loading, anything else we need to know.

Trying to work out costings, our plan is to do some nice hotels in some places and then eurocamp the rest of it. Need to keep the costs down or the missus will say 'lets do a normal holiday' if the price keeps creaping up.

Belgium is shite pal, roads are shite, many are concrete and the drivers are dicks. come back through the Black Forest then run through France albeit near the border to Belgium. If your worried about costs, try the autorail from Paris to Niece, £100 for the bike then get a recliner seat in the sleeper/overnight train for £40 each. Awesome roads then from Niece back through the Alps, France, Italy and Switzerland then into Germany and the Black Forest. It works out around 1500miles or so back to Calais or more if you want to take in more passes. Beautiful scenery and did I say the roads are awesome.
Edit;
we never pre book any hotels, just get your phone out at the end of a days riding and look for hotels near me now, takes away any stress of having to get to a certain destination at a certain time. meaning a more relaxed time away. there are so many hotels/b&b's and its only a bed for the night your after, not the Ritz lol

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave V4 wrote:
hotels/b&b's and its only a bed for the night your after, not the Ritz lol

And somewhere safe to park the bike overnight.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:01 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloody hell guys, some brilliant advise there, got me totally changing my plans.

Loving the idea of train from paris to nice.

the reason for certain points in our route is that the wife isnt really a biker and its took me some persuading to get this going, so its not really a bike trip that we would all be planning, as in epic roads all day, but thats not to say i wont be insisting on some roads etc.

So got to look at this as a city tour rather than a road trip as such, just to keep her happy.

but anyway, lots of great ideas there, going to sit down this weekend and plan it all out.

She is wanting to go back to Bangkok so i need to make this look better and more interesting Smile

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:33 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sussed out a long time ago that cities make the best destinations. A Sat Nav is a definite stress eliminator in busy unfamiliar cities and worth having in any case Wink

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
Motorail - dusseldorf to verona (£430 private cabin, they have a special in may so bike goes free)

Seems like madness to pay that. Why not ride it? Stop somewhere around Stuttgart (Ibis Budgets are cheap and decent in Germany) then again in Liechtenstein.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
We sussed out a long time ago that cities make the best destinations.

I'm not big on night life these days, so I'm not so bothered about being in a city for my stops. If the countryside is spectacular, I'd rather go for a walk and watch the sun set on the hills and mountains before turning in.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:27 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

well big thanks to Dave (or any one else) for suggesting the route through france by train, just priced that up and its half the cost of my previous idea.

Whats the deal with collecting the bike in Nice, do you have to be there for unloading or is it stored for a time?

also, do you think manchester to Brugge in one stint is asking too much?

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:32 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
rubyhorse2 wrote:

Seems like madness to pay that. Why not ride it? Stop somewhere around Stuttgart (Ibis Budgets are cheap and decent in Germany) then again in Liechtenstein.

hey Matt, yeh it is a crazy price really, thats even excluding another 250 euros for the bike.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:53 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
well big thanks to Dave (or any one else) for suggesting the route through france by train, just priced that up and its half the cost of my previous idea.

Whats the deal with collecting the bike in Nice, do you have to be there for unloading or is it stored for a time?

also, do you think manchester to Brugge in one stint is asking too much?

we did Hinckley to Lion in 1 day last year and by the time we got there I was shagged tbh, its the concentration that buggered me, head felt fried but that 1st (of many lol)pint in the bar did taste sooo good.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:08 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Enduro Numpty wrote:
We sussed out a long time ago that cities make the best destinations.

I'm not big on night life these days, so I'm not so bothered about being in a city for my stops. If the countryside is spectacular, I'd rather go for a walk and watch the sun set on the hills and mountains before turning in.

this is the way I tend to be aswell, also the bikes tend to be safer in the small towns/ villages rather than the cities. we tend to ride all day till around 5ish, then find a room for the night, shower, couple of pints then go a wander and find some foody place, couple more beers then to bed.
I go for the riding and not the nightlife or culture, just descent roads with nice surfaces and spectacular views.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 07 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That motorail sounds pricey. Try contacting Deutsche Bahn (German Rail) direct, by phone even. They have a UK office and I have found them extremely helpful in the past for working out best rates.. Bollocks to Rail Europe et al..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 08 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is all this train shit. Why not book two weeks on some Spanish beach FFS. Planning a tour you said.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:55 - 08 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casper wrote:
What is all this train shit. Why not book two weeks on some Spanish beach FFS. Planning a tour you said.

cus I got road tyres fitted

nerald
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:08 - 13 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusseldorf - Vienna 45 euros. Kip on train - price of a nights accommodation wake up 600 miles later saving 3 tanks of fuel at £20 a tank. Saves 2 days riding at 300 miles a day.
I am planning on doing this in reverse.

Current plan is - Portsmouth - Bilbao. West to Santiago de Compostela then spend the next 10 days crossing the Pyrenees/Alps to get to Vienna.
Vienna to Dusseldorf overnight, leisurely ride to Ijmuiden for the return ferry to Newcastle.

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:45 - 15 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casper wrote:

erm... we are touring italy. i think a lot of people use the train to get to the place they want to tour, seems sensible to me.

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:17 - 01 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i've planned the initial part of our trip which includes tunnel, night in bruges and bike and us to nice (birthday in monaco, wife can pay for that).

Need some advise on satnav options though.

I've always managed without one but i think it will just make things a lot easier and more enjoyable if we have one for italy.

has anyone tried one of the budget ones that i've read about on bike forums, think they are binatone or peaklife?

other option is iphone and some maps but do these use data or not?

i also need some form of communication, best quality ones for rider to pillion use and keeping costs down. I've had one in the past and ended up chucking it as it was useless over 30mph, so i know you get what you pay for but if you lot have used any and can recommend that would be great.

thanks all

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 01 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the phone apps that download maps will not use your data, just make sure you have enough space on the phone/sd card. Navfree or Navmii is one of those. I found that phones are not the best option though - screens can be very hard to see in the sunlight and they are slow to react and update compared to a dedicated unit.

Easiest and cheapest option is to get a car satnav and use a waterproof case and ram mount combination. Ones with free European map updates are cheap now, about £70ish for a Garmin Nuvi. It's all I've ever used on the bike and I do Europe at least 3 times every year.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:25 - 01 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a pair of these. Mainly for hearing what the sat nav has to say. Have tried it on the bike and they seem substantially better than the much more expensive Scala rider thing I used prior to it ceasing to function. Got a set for the wife but whether or not it'll be something that we use all depends on how much she's got to say? Don't particularly want to have conversations on the bike .

Don't know about budget sat navs - I use a Zumo 660 which was scarily expensive but seems to get me where I want.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/800M-Interphone-Bluetooth-BT-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Helmet-Intercom-Headset-Kit-UK-/281802500620?hash=item419cbcea0c:g:T1IAAOSwEetV-mAH

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:26 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm happy to spend £150-£200 on the rider to pillion chat stuff.

just really worried about quality, i'll read some more reviews on that one numpty, have you tested sound quality with the wife at speed?

As you said, not going to be chatting all the time but its handy just to be able to chat now and again.

thanks

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:10 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
i'm happy to spend £150-£200 on the rider to pillion chat stuff.

just really worried about quality, i'll read some more reviews on that one numpty, have you tested sound quality with the wife at speed?

As you said, not going to be chatting all the time but its handy just to be able to chat now and again.

thanks

we use interphone headsets, f5 I think they are. they are good for up to around 70-80 mph, used to have Scala teamset, these can be had for reasonable money 2nd hand on ebay, I sold mine for £98, they are very good with good battery life and can connect to phone and satnav, but I changed to the interphone as a few m8s I ride with use them and the range is way better than the Scala. As for satnav, I used a TomTom rider 2 the last few times I went Europe(again easily available from ebay for fair price) and I think they are so easy to follow, takes away lots of the stress and unlike satnav apps you can pre install your route to them before you go, select twisty ride, no motorways or fastest route depending on where you want to get to. I have updated it this year to the latest rider so hopefully this will still be ok!.

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:52 - 03 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Dave, i'll have a look at the interphone F5, sounds like they will be good enough for us.

Going to use the car satnav and just buy a waterproof case. Going to get a usb cable to battery for this, can i simply wire to battery without any worries as i heard they can still cause a drain even when not in use?

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 03 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
Going to get a usb cable to battery for this, can i simply wire to battery without any worries as i heard they can still cause a drain even when not in use?

There was a thread on here somewhere about the drain. Simple 12v relay setup would sort that and Stinkwheel did a how-to thread.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:39 - 03 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
thanks Dave, i'll have a look at the interphone F5, sounds like they will be good enough for us.

Going to use the car satnav and just buy a waterproof case. Going to get a usb cable to battery for this, can i simply wire to battery without any worries as i heard they can still cause a drain even when not in use?

Only trouble with car sat navs is they tend to take you on the quickest route which generally means boring roads on a bike.

D_redd
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:46 - 06 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress on this rubyhorse? Very interested to see your plans progress Smile

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:48 - 07 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

funnily enough we sorted a lot of it last night.

I've purchased a satnav, Zumo 340 which is great as you can plan your route before hand. which we will do each night i guess.

Setting off on 18th june and returning 2nd July, we have about 8 or so days to mess about in Italy.

Booked the tunnel and 2 nights in Brugge (hotel Fevery £130, tunnel £40)
then its off to Paris, bike on motorail (£209 return) to Nice
We are flying from paris to nice (£130 return for us both)
hotel in nice (just looking to book this now)

rest of the trip is just winging it and going where we please till we need to be back in Nice on the 29th June to pop bike on motorail and we fly off to paris again.

Then we are going to chill out back over to blighty and stop off at her parents for a night on our way to Manchester.

Oh also got my rack built which will protect the panniers from the exhausts and also allow some more rear luggage. i'll get some pics of this as its a damn good job and no one really makes them for the Superdukes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 14 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3